THE LABADEE ZIP LINE - Everything You Always Wanted To Know

Just got back from Labadee on RC Liberty. Zipline was awesome. Thought I might chicken out but the peer pressure and the thought of having to go back down the mountain in shame pushed me forward. Just so you know I don't do roller coasters, bungees, or heights so this was a big deal for me. If I can do it anyone can. Actually I think anyone expecting a Great Adventure type "thrill ride" may be somewhat disappointed. It's not like that. There's no sudden drop, it's a nice and smooth descent.

As many have said the view alone is worth the $65. The practice zipline you do before the big one, which I estimated is only about 30-40 ft, helps to boost your confidence in the equipment but it doesn't really do much to prepare you for stepping out onto that platform on the mountain. It's really higher than it looks. The seat type harness they strap around you feels really secure. One tip, make sure your hands are on the bar when you "hit" the braking mechanism. I was caught offguard in the starfish position and got a nasty bruise on my bicep from getting thust against the harness. Hurt like hell too. Another thing to know is that for some reason they've reduced the weight limit from 275 to 220. However I didn't see them weighing anyone.

I found the hardest part to be the wait at the top while they go through the safety stuff and you're waiting for your turn. It gives you too much time to reconsider what you're about to do. My daughter was the smart one, she went right to the front. But once you "launch" the fear goes away and the fun begins. It's a blast and you don't want it to end. I was hoping to get some video of me coming down but I was too focused on holding the right position and didn't want to drop the camera. I had the required wrist strap but I didn't trust it or me.

So I would encourage anyone to GET OUT THERE and do it. You'll be glad you did.

I would also recommend the thriller boat ride in Labadee @$42. They need 10 people to sign up before they will take the 700k boat out. It was alot of fun. They take you along the coast at 60+ while blasting appropriate rock music. They even let you drive the boat.

I heard the waverunners are fun too. Only complaint was that they want you to ride at full throttle which some of the new riders were uncomfortable doing.

BTW, the haitian sun is a real scorcer. Make sure you take some lip balm and sun screen. I forgot and paid the price for the rest of the cruise.

GET OUT THERE,

Jimmers

DH and I did both the Dragon's Breath and the Canopy Tour (Jamaica) on our Freedom cruise a few weeks ago.

It was unbelievable!

We were the last flight of the day and DH and I were the last 2 to go down the line...and...as luck would have it, DH got stuck over the water. He was on the line with the most slack and clearly didn't weigh enough to barrel him into land. Some staff members had to swim out and throw him a rope! It was hilarious!!

2782653080102083459MFdjGR?vhost=good-times

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2782653080102083459MFdjGR?vhost=good-times

For what it's worth, the guys running the show said they dropped the weight limit to 220 (or was it 225?) because someone broke their foot coming in too fast.

Definitely 220lb limit on Aug 27. "due to operational issues beyond our control". Operational issues is I suppose a lawyer euphemism for broken bones. I don't know if the limit will be temporary or not. Shame if it locks out all those weighing more than 220. It really is a neat experience. We had two in our party that were over the limit.

The problem seems to be in the uneven tension on the 5 cables which are close to an inch thick. Some sag more than others which means the "riggers" have to determine which line to use for the heavier people. So in my case at 195lb they selected cable number 5. They warned us all that the waves were a bit high that day and a couple of zippers had skimmed the water with their feet. They just told us to keep our feet elevated as we got close to the water. I was well above it when I came in.

When you come onto the platform you are about 3-4ft above the deck and they let you down onto a stool. So the person with the broken foot must have been really low to have hit the platform with his foot. I suppose they could've broke it by hitting the water also. Especially since you're going about 40mph or more.

I would do it again. One accident out of all the people who have gone down shouldn't deter anyone. Nothing is 100% safe.

Jimmers

Hi there!

I am live from the liberty!

Our group did the zip line this morning. Because there are no winds they dropped the weight limit down to 200 lbs!!!!

If you look like you're going to be over the limit they do weigh you. They weighed a guy in our group - he was 203 they did not let him go. They said that there is humidity in the lines and that there is no wind and so they reserve the right to drop the weight limit.

Also they said in two weeks the price will go to $90 !!!!!

So just so you know!

The liberty is awesome! We're having a great time!

Talk about a price hike. From $65 to $90. I think that might be a dealbreaker for me. But it's all about supply and demand. Obviously they must have the demand, so up goes the price. That's business.

We really enjoyed RC Liberty too. With Labadee being our favorite stop. But I think I still prefer the Voyager class size ship. Other than the flowrider, a larger gym, and larger kid pool area, there seems little difference between the two classes of ships. Unless it was my imagination, our balcony stateroom actually seemed somewhat smaller on the Liberty than the Navigator we were on in March. And you'd think that if they stretched the ship 80-100 ft, they could've made the shower just a wee bit larger. I found it adequate but heard a few complaints from larger framed passengers.

It will be interesting to see how we enjoy the smaller Jewel of the Seas in April,08 for a 14 day transatlantic. Hopefully we haven't been spoiled by the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

Jimmers

I agree with you Jimmers about your observations.

While the Freedom class might be great for families and persons wanting to do that class of ship, I do not believe that I'll be in a hurry to do another Freedom Class. I think my size limit would be a voyager class.

LOL, to shave my legs on the cruise I put a towel down on the floor, and a towel on the toilet seat. Then shaved, then got back into the shower to rinse off, then repeat to the other leg. There was NO WAY you could actually bend down to pick up anything off of the floor without banging your head on the shower door.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pix and info on the zipline!!! OMG! We have this scheduled in Maui next month in Kaanapali. Has anyone done that one? We picked that one because it had 8 ziplines and lunch on a cliff. Sounds nice, doesn't it? Now, after looking at these pix I'm a wee bit petrified!! :eek:

Someone said it would 'cure' my fear of heights......we'll see.

The zipline was put in since your visit in September. It's apparently a great success for RC since they are reportedly raising the prices from $65 to $90. Hope this isn't true.

It IS alot of fun. Not as scary as it looks. If you're like me and not one for heights or thrill rides it can be a "mind" challenge to get the nerve up. But really, once you start down it's nothing but FUN. There's no sudden drops or anything like that. The Fun and Beauty of the view you have from up there makes you forget that you're "afraid of heights". That was my experience and I'm sure yours will be the same.

Go For It, You'll be glad you did.

Jimmers

THis was hard decsions for us as we are going FOS on OCt 28 and we ended choosing and reserve is Pairsailing in Labadee, and Dolphine ride in Mexico, SO I think we spend enough. But this ws one of them was very tempting.....in a way still is....smile:D However GReat Pictures you guys....

And according to Pat, they do weigh you. The weight limit is now at 200 lbs (without wind, and up to 220 with wind and humidity).

Marcia's husband Mark weighed in at 202 and they wouldn't let him zip.

If you weigh in more after booking your excursion, you do get your money back from the explorations desk.

And just think "the price is going up to $90 very soon", said the zipline guys themselves on Labadee 9-6-07 !

;)

That is a bit overpriced IMHO. We are zipping in Maui -- booked on our own for a zip tour that has 8 zips, includes lunch and is about 4 hrs. -- we are paying $148.00 pp.

And just think "the price is going up to $90 very soon", said the zipline guys themselves on Labadee 9-6-07 !

;)

Price on the RCI web site is still $65 for our visit there Oct. 4. Haven't actually booked it yet, but would like to if it works out. My 10 yr old son wants to do it, but I'm not sure how to work it out with my daughters (11 and 8) there as well. Are there organized activities (i.e., Adventure Ocean) available for kids on Labadee that they could do while we zip?

That is a bit overpriced IMHO. We are zipping in Maui -- booked on our own for a zip tour that has 8 zips, includes lunch and is about 4 hrs. -- we are paying $148.00 pp.

I agree with you. It is overpriced.

Your Maui zip price is much more reasonable!

Maui was lovely, we had a great week there :)

Price on the RCI web site is still $65 for our visit there Oct. 4. Haven't actually booked it yet, but would like to if it works out. My 10 yr old son wants to do it, but I'm not sure how to work it out with my daughters (11 and 8) there as well. Are there organized activities (i.e., Adventure Ocean) available for kids on Labadee that they could do while we zip?

Yes, there is a picture I have of the kids area. It was a large play area. But I didn't see much shade in the sandbox.

Don't forget your flip flops. The sand is coral and sand, and very hard on the feet! :eek:

edie62.jpg.24fe1bed621fdd3e0804e8c8f1a5a121.jpg

I agree with you. It is overpriced.

Your Maui zip price is much more reasonable!

Maui was lovely, we had a great week there :)

You spent a week in Maui? On this cruise to Hawaii, I want to see which place I would like to do a land vacation....I'm thinking Maui or Oahu.....what did you do in Maui for a week? Where did you stay?

When we were in Maui we stayed in Kihei (south part of the island, 30 minutes from Kaanapali where the ship docks). We stayed at the Astin Maui Lu. It wasn't a fancy hotel, but it was 30 steps from the ocean! We had a little alcove with beach chairs right outside our back porch. I'd recommend it again. It was a modestly priced hotel, and that means we could spend our time doing something else.

What would I recommend doing?

Well you know how there is the "bike down a crater" activity? Well I'd go up to the crater at night again (like at 3-4am) and go up there with all of the bike people, and look at the stars. It got cold up there, but it was soooo awesome! Its dark as pitch and you can literally see a gazillion stars!

I'd also go to Big Beach. Its south of Wailea (even further south than Kihei), and it is a perfect beach. Its not crowded and you can watch the sunset with a blanket and wine there. Its perfect!

If you had more time I'd also take the drive to Hana. It takes an entire day, and you drive this road past waterfalls and past scenic lookouts. You end up in this little town (Hana), but the town is nothing spectacular. Its the drive that's the adventure. You'll traverse narrow roads, encounter tropical rain forest showers, and see the most gorgeous waterfalls!

I would eat at Angelinos, which is a little italian restaurant in Kihei.

I would also eat at this seafood restaurant on the water (can't think of the name) near the Aquarium. It was AMAZING !!!

I would visit the Dole pineapple stand and taste the Maui Gold pineapples. We had several thousand that week!

I'd get one of those "This week on Maui" booklets. They have helicopter tours. We got a great tour. Our helicopter was blue (very important, cause the company is Blue Helicopters or something like that) it sat 4, and every seat was a window seat. It was SO AWESOME! It was one of the cheaper tours, we went for an hour, and it was $125 pp. TOTALLY WORTH IT! Look at the pics and see if you don't agree :)

Oh and you have to do the Luau at the Mariott in Kaanapali. That's a not-to-be-missed event!

I've pictures of Maui on my webshots album. I'd skip the sugar cane train, the bicycle adventure, and the Aquarium.

Archived