Song of Norway

to LynnAB: I lived in Puerto Rico during hurricane David AND Frederick! I was stationed in the Navy there, and I remember VIVIDLY both of those storms. Lots of damage on base and to my off-base home. We were without water/electric for weeks. I remember collecting rain water just to wash up. You go outside in your bathing suit, stand under the gutters, and take a 'shower' with your soap and shampoo!

As you can see from my signature, I sailed on the Song, too. That is what sold ME on being stationed down in the Caribbean. I was stationed in Maine from 77-79, (went on the Caribbean cruises in winters!), and then I got stationed in Puerto Rico from 79-81.

I surely remember the Bon Voyage parties at departure, and the skeet shooting on board.

Wow! Weren't those two hurricanes something? I lived (and still do) in South Florida. Everyone was expecting one of the hurricanes to hit HERE when we left for our cruise. We were so naive in those days and taped up our windows at home and left on the cruise! The hurricane never hit Miami, but we had the TWO hurricanes on our cruise. We were on SON right after it was lengthened, and my father kept saying he hoped it didn't break apart from the pounding on the water during the hurricanes!!! We weren't even allowed out on the decks because the water was crashing over the railing. AND when I was eating in the dining room one evening (one of FEW passengers not seasick), the window next to me SHATTERED from the impact of the whole ship coming off the water and slamming down. Bottles in the lounges were crashing off the shelves and onto the floor. We were the ONLY ship out of all the cruise lines to even make one port. We got into St. Thomas (the only port we could dock at for a while), and the storekeepers met us at the port and hurried back to open their stores for us. It was unreal when I think back on it all. YET ... I met some great people and ended up having a BLAST. Crazy, huh? RCCL was fabulous to us and went out of their way to make our cruise the best.

Hi Carol, Maybe your computer's browser won't allow you to click on the link and then go straight to the auction page.

Try going to ebay and then search "Song of Norway". You should be able to see it then. Good luck and have a good night. :)

Good Morning sea-cruise,

I got in on the bid OK, thanks:D

Carol:)

AHA! There the SoN is! AQHA figured it out for you Carol! :)

Thanks Suzanne, but I have seen it before, I was not able to bid as they keep saying my name was wrong but I just got everything fixed up and I was able to bid:eek: :D

sea-cruise, do you know the other people who are bidding?

We had an officer at our table. He was the doctor, a lovely person from Norway. The first night he sat with us, he told our table that if he was ever late to dinner he would buy the table champagne. My husband was playing basketball one afternoon and came down hard on his ankle which promptly swelled up.... So off to the doctor we had to go, and made him late for dinner...As promised he bought a bottle.... The next day my limping husband was walking on the Promenade deck, it was wet, he went to slip, caught himself and in the process, caught his fist in my mouth... Off we went to the doctor, he was late for dinner, and he bought the table a bottle. The next day our tablemate got severe sun poisoning....off he went to the doctor, the doctor was late for dinner...and he bought the table a bottle....Soooo the last night of the cruise we all bought him bottles of champagne!

I also remember it rocking and rolling so badly, and we had an inside cabin...that our whole floor was getting dressed in the hallway...make-up, ties etc..because being in the cabin would make you feel sick..

We were hooked...forever!

This is actually one of my own photo's I took in St. Thomas a couple of weeks ago and I just copied and pasted directly to post. If I had used the insert feature on CC post it would have been a thumbnail. :)

Suzanne

Hmm ... in Photoshop, I copied the picture (CTRL + C) and then in my post used paste (CTRL + V). Still no picture. What was the procedure that you used?

Donald.

Thanks Suzanne, but I have seen it before, I was not able to bid as they keep saying my name was wrong but I just got everything fixed up and I was able to bid:eek: :D

sea-cruise, do you know the other people who are bidding?

Hi Carol, I don't know who is bidding. None of my cruise critic friends are as far as I know. When the auction ends then there is a list of names that you can see by clicking on the auction (on who bid what amount). At least that is the way it use to be anyhow.

Hmm ... in Photoshop, I copied the picture (CTRL + C) and then in my post used paste (CTRL + V). Still no picture. What was the procedure that you used?

Donald.

Donald, You just right-click on the photo and when a pop-up appears you click "copy". When you are in the process of typing your "reply" on a thread, you just go up to the left side of your computer screen and click "edit" and then click on "paste". The picture will appear in your reply message. Hope this helps.

Donald, You just right-click on the photo and when a pop-up appears you click "copy". When you are in the process of typing your "reply" on a thread, you just go up to the left side of your computer screen and click "edit" and then click on "paste". The picture will appear in your reply message. Hope this helps.

I have Corel Photo-Paint and Adobe Photoshop - in neither would right-clicking on the photograph reveal "copy" among the items in the pop-up. I suppose that it's my Internet browser (Mozilla) that's the problem. Your pointers were appreciated, though.:)

Donald.

I did a little checking to find out where you can find her now. She is owned by Caspi Cruises Isreal. Here's their website with some photos of her. http://www.c2007.co.il/ Of course, you can't read anything unless you know Hebrew.

As of December 30th 2006 we was sailing 3 day runs from Dubai to Muscat. I also read on Wikipidia that she spent some time in New Orleans as a dorm for university students after hurrican Katrina.

I did a little checking to find out where you can find her now. She is owned by Caspi Cruises Isreal. Here's their website with some photos of her. http://www.c2007.co.il/ Of course, you can't read anything unless you know Hebrew.

Thanks for posting that site. I can't read that language, but the prices sure looked low. One was for 219.00

Thanks so much for ALL of the responses!! I haven't had time to read each one yet, but I will definitely make time to do so! Just wanted to let you know the OP is still alive; I've been in Spain for the past 11 days and haven't had an internet connection. Again, thanks for all of the responses! I look forward to reading them tomorrow!

Eleven days in Spain is a wonderful reason for not reading the boards! I want to do Barcelona, Portugal, etc. next time we do a Med cruise. Can you tell me if the ship docks near the major sites in Barcelona (ie Antonio Gaudi's architectures)?

Yes, they use to be so small that passengers learned their way around the ships within the first few hours. There were some old ships that had indoor swimming pools way down in the bottom of the hull. The water was always so cold, and your voice echoed off the tile walls.

I'll be saying goodbye to my Song of Norway figurine soon. My ebay auction will be ending. It's kind of sad to see her go, but I'm retired and downsizing now. I think I can google another picture or two of her so I'm off to search. To everyone who posted pictures....Thanks for the memories!