Hurricane Satellite may fail anytime...

Grtcdnwolf

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070612/ap_on_re_us/hurricane_satellite

If the satellite faltered, experts estimate that the accuracy of two-day forecasts would suffer by 10 percent and three-day forecasts by 16 percent, which could translate into miles of coastline and the difference between a city being evacuated or not.

"We would go blind. It would be significantly hazardous," said Wayne Sallade, emergency manager in Charlotte County, which was hit hard by Hurricane Charley in 2004.

It was funny to see Mr. Sallade's name in that article, as although I don't know him personally, he sure is a recognizable public figure here. Having read the article, it certainly seems that a big difference in accuracy will occur...although as those of us who live in Charlotte County know, hurricanes can turn on a whim.

It was funny to see Mr. Sallade's name in that article, as although I don't know him personally, he sure is a recognizable public figure here. Having read the article, it certainly seems that a big difference in accuracy will occur...although as those of us who live in Charlotte County know, hurricanes can turn on a whim.

You got that right! (I'm just south of you )

I think the Immigration thinggy has all the GOV. attention! I mean whats the worst that could happen another Cat 5 hit the USA so that FEMA can really show us that they don't have a clue. :eek: I guess the constitution that was written to protect us has fallen by the wayside...no more "By the people for the people" I mean who cares about a Hurricane when we have ya know the terrorist thing that a certain person not named "Bush" keeps as his crutch..............Give me a break...time to Cruise!

If the satellite faltered, experts estimate that the accuracy of two-day forecasts would suffer by 10 percent and three-day forecasts by 16 percent, which could translate into miles of coastline and the difference between a city being evacuated or not.

"We would go blind. It would be significantly hazardous," said Wayne Sallade, emergency manager in Charlotte County, which was hit hard by Hurricane Charley in 2004.

Hey Wolfie....this same storm was predicted to right up the mouth of Tampa Bay where I live. St. Pete and Clearwater were evacuated. Many of my friends and their families headed inland.

As it came up the west coast of Florida it took a duck hook out of nowhere and went right into Charlotte county. About 150 miles south of Tampa. Then cut through the state from southwest to northeast.

The only person in the state that predicted the hurricane would do this was a weatherman here in Tampa....and everyone thought he was a loon.

He was right.

It will I am sure hurt if this satillite goes down but...if they can't figure the info out to make an accurate prediction....what good is it anyways...;)

PS: All my friends who went inland had to run and hide from Charley...and we didn't even get wet in Tampa....

I don't see a lot of accuracy in 12 hour forecasts, let alone 3 day. Although I agree that it would be nice if our government was as concerned with infrastructure as it is with passports (or a lot of other things that I won't start discussions about), I won't be losing any sleep over a "16 percent loss in three day forecasting ability."

Whatever that's supposed to mean, anyhow.

Archived