South Beach Hotel

gypsyrose

Looking for a decent priced hotel in SOBE for pre cruise. Not sure what area I need to be looking at. We went last year and spent the day on the beach and ate at News Cafe (thanks lemondrop). Looked like a neat area to stay but most things I have looked at are over $150. Found the Clay hotel under $100 but from the map I couldn't tell if it was too far away from beach or if it was even in an area I want. We did not venture any further than that 1 area so I don't know anything about SOBE. We stayed HI at the port across from bayside this year, which we loved, but want to do something else. Did a search but so many replies were over a year old. Thanks for any help. Cruise not till next April but I like to plan early.

Hey Gypsy, We are staying on South Beach post-cruise at the Royal Palms Resort. We got it on Hotwire for $109, but after taxes and all, it came to right at $150. Looks pretty nice and is right on the beach in heart of South Beach. we are like 14 blocks from Ocean Drive, but Collins is the North- South Avenue in South Beach. Just wanted to try something new, so we will see. Good luck!

Hey Gypsy, We are staying on South Beach post-cruise at the Royal Palms Resort. We got it on Hotwire for $109, but after taxes and all, it came to right at $150. Looks pretty nice and is right on the beach in heart of South Beach. we are like 14 blocks from Ocean Drive, but Collins is the North- South Avenue in South Beach. Just wanted to try something new, so we will see. Good luck!

Ocean Drive is also North South and runs parallel to Collins and Washington Ave.

I am so confused. If Royal Palms is right on the ocean, how are you 14 blocks from Ocean Drive. I just figured that OD was the road right at the Ocean. Is it safe to assume that any place you stay is going to be close enough to something to eat and do? I'm so afraid of booking something and being miles away from all the action. Thanks for everyones help.

The Royal Palms is located on 1545 Collins Ave. There is a part where Ocean Drive ends and no longer borders the beach and Collins Ave is the only street bordering the beach. The hotel is literally 3 or 4 blocks from Ocean Drive. You will have to walk a bit to get to Ocean Drive but once you get to ocean Drive you will find all of the restaurants and palces to go to. You can also walk over to Lincoln Road Mall Which is not far from there either with lots of things to do.

Hello

I'm not sure when you are planning to go, but we booked out pre-cruise hotel stay a the Beacon Hotel. http://www.beacon-hotel.com We are cruising on Nov.30, 2007. Price is $129 plus tax for 3 of us. This hotel had really good reviews, and from what I gathered is right smack in the center for all the action in SoBe.

Roberta

You are much much closer than 14 blocks to Ocean Drive, closer to four blocks.

Collins Avenue starts at South Point Park and goes north about 20 miles all the way to Aventura. Collins is the oceanfront avenue in much of Miami Beach and sometimes other roads are oceanfront.

The Royal Palm is in a very good location but I haven't stayed there since it was the Crown Plaza.

For moderate South Beach hotels try:

Courtyard By Marriott (not oceanfront but cool rooftop hotel)

The South Seas (17th and Collins oceanfront)

The Marseilles (17th and Collins oceanfront)

The Doubletree Surfcomber (16th and Collins oceanfront)

Keep in mind that most Ocean Drive hotels are not beachfront but across the street from the beach.

Thanks for everyones replies. Blue Heron, don't need ocean front, just being at Sobe will be good enough. OF would be a plus tho if affordable. It looks like I am trying to find a place too early. Everything (just about) online shows nothing available. When I call, they just haven't released the prices yet. Sounds weird but it is what I ran into over the weekend so I decided to let it rest for a few months. Thanks so much for the geographical help. I just don't want to end up too far away to walk to things.

Blue Herron, thanks for the info. Glad to hear the Royal Palms is a good hotel. Probably won't do much other than walk around a little, but nice to get a feel of things before we get there. Thanks again

Looking for a decent priced hotel in SOBE for pre cruise. Not sure what area I need to be looking at. We went last year and spent the day on the beach and ate at News Cafe (thanks lemondrop). Looked like a neat area to stay but most things I have looked at are over $150. Found the Clay hotel under $100 but from the map I couldn't tell if it was too far away from beach or if it was even in an area I want. We did not venture any further than that 1 area so I don't know anything about SOBE. We stayed HI at the port across from bayside this year, which we loved, but want to do something else. Did a search but so many replies were over a year old. Thanks for any help. Cruise not till next April but I like to plan early.

I also have a room booked with the beacon.. i saw it got good reviews to and it's right on the beach side.. i got a great deal with using skyauction..i'll give you a review in a couple of weeks if you're still intrested

I also have a room booked with the beacon.. i saw it got good reviews to and it's right on the beach side.. i got a great deal with using skyauction..i'll give you a review in a couple of weeks if you're still intrested

jervid, it is actually across the street from the beach and Lummus Park and in a great location.

Even the oceanfront hotels are set back so far from the beach that they aren't any closer to the ocean than the ones on Ocean Drive.

I've been in the Beacon hotel and it is really nice AND you are only a block from News Cafe. That is the best place in the world to people watch.

Beware the Clevelander Hotel which is two or three blocks north. They have a wicked afternoon party with a decent happy hour. One mojito, two mojito, three mojito, FLOOR!!

jervid, it is actually across the street from the beach and Lummus Park and in a great location.

Even the oceanfront hotels are set back so far from the beach that they aren't any closer to the ocean than the ones on Ocean Drive.

I've been in the Beacon hotel and it is really nice AND you are only a block from News Cafe. That is the best place in the world to people watch.

Beware the Clevelander Hotel which is two or three blocks north. They have a wicked afternoon party with a decent happy hour. One mojito, two mojito, three mojito, FLOOR!!

blueherons..

i do understand that it's across the street i'm not sure if the OP realizes it ..but i did not know about the Clevelander's happy hour..this could mean trouble for me..LOL

Please give me a review when you come back. The Beacon sounds like a great place to be. No rooms are available for April 20th yet. Have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for everyones replies. Blue Heron, don't need ocean front, just being at Sobe will be good enough. OF would be a plus tho if affordable. It looks like I am trying to find a place too early. Everything (just about) online shows nothing available. When I call, they just haven't released the prices yet. Sounds weird but it is what I ran into over the weekend so I decided to let it rest for a few months. Thanks so much for the geographical help. I just don't want to end up too far away to walk to things.

Well you just answered my dilemma as well, was starting to get worried over the nothing available in April 08 and was like oh my goodness should I have started sooner. Well I am looking for the same kind of place for a few days pre-cruise myself. Want to hit the beach but not be too far from the port.

So how far or how long does it take to get from south beach to the terminal the Triumph uses. We have never sailed from Miami.

Also what about transpo from the airport to south Beach, do the hotels offer shuttles from the airport or how much is a taxi, it is just me and DH this trip.

Wow so many questions sorry but not sailing from Miami has my head spinning with details.

Yeah, I kind of freaked when no rooms were available so I called quite a few and they told me the rates were not released that early. I think that's weird, but whatever. You will need to get a taxi from airport to hotel. We stayed downtown this year and it was $24 I believe. The port should not take long to get to depending on traffic. Again, not sure of the rate, but we went from downtown to Sobe and it was $16. We had a good time at Sobe so we decided to stay there next year. Hopefully, if we can get the rate under $100 we may go 2 days early since our cruise leaves on Sun. Still plenty of time to get all our ??? answered. Have a great day.

Yeah, I kind of freaked when no rooms were available so I called quite a few and they told me the rates were not released that early. I think that's weird, but whatever. You will need to get a taxi from airport to hotel. We stayed downtown this year and it was $24 I believe. The port should not take long to get to depending on traffic. Again, not sure of the rate, but we went from downtown to Sobe and it was $16. We had a good time at Sobe so we decided to stay there next year. Hopefully, if we can get the rate under $100 we may go 2 days early since our cruise leaves on Sun. Still plenty of time to get all our ??? answered. Have a great day.

We are looking at staying two days as well we leave on Saturday. So $24 from airport to a hotel on SOBE and how much from SOBE to the port?

Also are there restaurants and shops and things like that within walking distance from the hotels in SOBE and can you recommend a few to look at when the rates come out?

This is our first time to cruise from Miami and we are coming in from Texas.

Also does anyone know when is the best time to purchase airline tickets, like how far out to get better deals?

and thank goodness we have a while cuz I have a ton of questions leaving out of a new port, but its the only way to ge Eastern for a change.

• 3 weeks later...

We have stayed @ The Kent Hotel on Collins, clean,basic, good location. No pool but 1 block to beach. Very nice outdoor courtyard to relax. ALSO have stayed @ The Clay Hotel. This is also a hostel, so be careful when you book. It is on a very beautiful street,Espanola Way, I think,(corner of Washington) a couple blocks from beach, lots of nitelife. We booked two "adjoining rooms" these were 2 very small rooms with shared bathroom, perfect for 2 couples, cost aprox$100 for both. Not a "resort" experience, by any means, but functional and the area has TONS of "personality". Hope this helps.

Archived