How Do They Detox a Cabin After Heavy Smokers?

ChevyCruiser

On our most recent cruise on RRCL, the folks in the next cabin smoked so much that we could sometimes smell it in our cabin, and when they opened the door smoke would actually billow out into the hall.

Being non-smokers, I was wondering how the cruise lines detox a cabin after a week or two of a heavy smoker? I sure wouldn't want to find myself assigned to be the next person to use it.:mad:

Did that in a motel one time when I couldn't get any other room and when I got home I had to air out my suitcase and launder every item of clothing that was in the room.

I don't know how they do it but they do! We had a cabin that smelled of smoke. We went to the purser's desk and told them this. They apologised and said they would take car of it right away. If we could still smell the smoke we were to come back and let them know. She said they would then change the curtains, linens,wash the walls, etc.! Wow! But my husband who can smell every and anything couldn't smell any smoke when we went back. On another cruise people cross from us were smoking pot. My husband could smell it when we opened our door. Almost left them a note to only smoke it on their balcony!

Had same incident as mentioned above. I smoke and it still bothered me. When we came back it, the chemical they used almost smelled like a super febreze or something like that. I was really surprised how well it worked. Funny thing after they cleaned it, the cabin attendant saw that I smoked and brought me an ashtray (I politely mentioned that my wife would kill me if I smoked in the cabin).......

I don't know what they use, but it works!

I have one of the most sensitive noses on earth and cannot tolerate air fresheners, perfume, even the smoke from a candle irritates my sinuses. But whatever it is they use, it sure is effective and it does not irritate me.

I really wish hotels would stock the stuff. We have stayed in many hotels rooms that are marked as non-smoking but reek of cigarettes. I suppose smokers don't want to stay in smoking hotel rooms, either.

Cabin steward on my last cruise Rhapsody of the Seas, showed me the can. It is called Ozium Spray. When i came home Ii looked it up and you can buy it online or at medical supply stores, it's a fantastic product. By the way, Disney also used it in their hotels before they went completely non-smoking. This is a description of the product.

Ozium aerosol air sanitizer is the best way to keep the air in your home or work space clean and smelling fresh. Ozium does not cover up the odors associated with sewer, pets, cooking and smoking - it eliminates them! Ozium, the original air purifier, is a chemical agent that actually neutralizes smoke and unpleasant odors and reduces airborne bacteria. Ozium actually cleanses the air through glycolized action. The Ozium glycolized formula acts directly on odor causing particles in the air. Ozium is distinguished from other products that simply mask odors. Ozium is an EPA registered air sanitizer and is safe to use residentially or commercially in homes, rental property, hospitals, nursing homes, hotels, veterinary clinics, restaurants, bars, laundry rooms, cars, mobil homes, offices, and just about anywhere you need to neutralize an odor problem.

Cabin steward on my last cruise Rhapsody of the Seas, showed me the can. It is called Ozium Spray. When i came home Ii looked it up and you can buy it online or at medical supply stores, it's a fantastic product. By the way, Disney also used it in their hotels before they went completely non-smoking. This is a description of the product.

I am glad someone learned the name of the product they use. It really is a miracle product.:)

Cabin steward on my last cruise Rhapsody of the Seas, showed me the can. It is called Ozium Spray. When i came home Ii looked it up and you can buy it online or at medical supply stores, it's a fantastic product. By the way, Disney also used it in their hotels before they went completely non-smoking.

Great, thanks for the info. I guess if they were to change all the fabric materials in the room and then use the Ozium it must work to the non-smokers satisfaction, or there would be more complaints.

Just curious - has anyone been successful in changing to another cabin if the original still smelled bad?

I don't know how they do it but they do! We had a cabin that smelled of smoke. We went to the purser's desk and told them this. They apologised and said they would take car of it right away. If we could still smell the smoke we were to come back and let them know. She said they would then change the curtains, linens,wash the walls, etc.! Wow! ............!

That is probably the only way to completely get rid of it. The Ozium spray mentioned is probably great on surfaces, but I would think laundering would be the only way to get it out of bedspreads / drapes / ???.

I agree they do miracles cleaning those rooms after a smoker has stunk it up. We have never had a problem.... but know the odds are there had to be smokers at sometime that had to be cleaned up after.

Hope you smokers leave extra tips for those cabin stewards..... knowing you have added to their workloads on turnaround day.

Cabin steward on my last cruise Rhapsody of the Seas, showed me the can. It is called Ozium Spray. When i came home Ii looked it up and you can buy it online or at medical supply stores, it's a fantastic product..................

Ozium aerosol air sanitizer is the best way to keep the air in your home or work space clean and smelling fresh. Ozium does not cover up the odors associated with sewer, pets, cooking and smoking - it eliminates them! Ozium, the original air purifier, is a chemical agent that actually neutralizes smoke and unpleasant odors and reduces airborne bacteria. Ozium actually cleanses the air through glycolized action. The Ozium glycolized formula acts directly on odor causing particles in the air. Ozium is distinguished from other products that simply mask odors. Ozium is an EPA registered air sanitizer and is safe to use residentially or commercially in homes, rental property, hospitals, nursing homes, hotels, veterinary clinics, restaurants, bars, laundry rooms, cars, mobil homes, offices, and just about anywhere you need to neutralize an odor problem.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU........for actually answering the question.

Just curious - has anyone been successful in changing to another cabin if the original still smelled bad?

That would depend on if your sailing was full.

A couple of cruises ago, the cabin steward apologized that our carpet would still be a little damp for awhile. He had changed everything out of our cabin and shampooed the carpet to eliminiate the waste from the previous occupant who was a cigar smoker. The carpet dried very quickly. So there is a lot the cabin stewards can do if the spray alone does not work.

I have a small can of that Ozium spray, we take it with us and keep it in the bathroom. I never thought to use it in smokey hotel rooms :rolleyes: , so, Thank you very much for the tip :)

I think I'll buy a big can!

I have a small can of that Ozium spray, we take it with us and keep it in the bathroom. I never thought to use it in smokey hotel rooms :rolleyes: , so, Thank you very much for the tip :)

I think I'll buy a big can!

Thanks for all the responses. I was in Home Depot today and at one of the end displays there was a rack of small cans of Ozium - just the right size to slip into a suitcase. I bought two.:)

Thanks for all the responses. I was in Home Depot today and at one of the end displays there was a rack of small cans of Ozium - just the right size to slip into a suitcase. I bought two.:)

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get one for our Fantasy cruise in August.

Archived