Carnival Air to Europe

jff50

Normally, I book my own air and pre-post flight hotels, but I am having a hard time justifying that for my April 26, 2008 transatlantic cruise (Miami to Rome). When I try to look at making my own reservations (Minneapolis to Miami, and Rome to Minneapolis), I get airfares in the neighborhood of $2,000. It seems to me that I might be better off using Carnival air (about $800-$900/person) combined with Carnival's pre- and post-stay hotels. I save a lot on the airfares, overpay for the hotel (probably), don't pay an air deviation charge (which I would have if I went into Miami a day ahead and/or stayed in Rome several days after), and save on the transfers (included with the hotel package). Overall, it seems that I come out way ahead.

Would appreciate input from anyone that has confronted the same/similar circumstances, or anyone that has relevant comments on Carnival's air and hotel arrangements.

I used Carnival for roundtrip to Rome and 2 nights post cruise hotel. I found the air fare to be very reasonable, but I certainly could have found better rates for hotel. But the convenience of having the "package" instead of worrying about getting own transportation is worth the few extra bucks. Actually I think if I do only 1 night hotel, the pricing would have been pretty competitive consider that transportation is included, it's the second night hotel that is expensive.

When I try to look at making my own reservations (Minneapolis to Miami, and Rome to Minneapolis), I get airfares in the neighborhood of $2,000. .

Three thoughts:

Try airfare from Minneapolis to Miami, Miami to Rome, then Rome to Minneapolis. Just don't use the middle leg of your trip.

Buy two round trip tickets, Minneapolis to Miami & Rome to Minneapolis

Try traveling different days of the week. When we did our Mediterranean cruise last year (Saturday to Saturday), we saved about $200 pp by staying two nights in Barcelona and flying home on Tuesday, including the cost of the hotel.

Three thoughts:

Try airfare from Minneapolis to Miami, Miami to Rome, then Rome to Minneapolis. Just don't use the middle leg of your trip.

Buy two round trip tickets, Minneapolis to Miami & Rome to Minneapolis

Try traveling different days of the week. When we did our Mediterranean cruise last year (Saturday to Saturday), we saved about $200 pp by staying two nights in Barcelona and flying home on Tuesday, including the cost of the hotel.

If you don't use the middle leg of your trip, you may find that the airline has cancelled the last leg.

If you don't use the middle leg of your trip, you may find that the airline has cancelled the last leg.

...just call them and let them know you were "not able" to use it, but want to make sure the remaining ticket does not cancel, then you will be fine.

My inlaws did the Liberty Transatlantic last October. You know the one with the Norovirus that made the news. They didn't get sick. That is beside the point and they also did the previous 12 day Europe Cruise.

In a similar predicament from DTW to FCO and from MIA to DTW they were looking at spending too much for air fare, for the two of them. They went with Carnival for the air and saved money by doing that. They didn't stay early in Rome though, but just did the overnight flight across the Atlantic.

Archived