Coki Beach Snorkeling Experience

cdog62

Anyone have experience snorkeling at Coki Beach in St Thomas? We are considering going there when we visit St Thomas in Oct by cruise ship.

Cost for taxi? How long of a drive? Anything "must do" or avoid doing? What to bring? Etc.

Anything you can provide is greatly appreciated.

:)

I dove with Coki Beach Dive Center twice. It's about a 20 minute ride from the piers, about $10 per person each way. The dive shop sets up a little kiosk on the beach, with all the equipment you could need.

They were very accomdating. They said to just come over when I'm ready to dive. It was the divemaster, one other diver and myself. Just walked into the water from the beach and went diving. When we were done diving they allowed me to keep my equipment there so I could go swimming, snorkeling with my wife and not have to worry about my gear.

My wife doesn't dive. What's nice about Coki Beach is we headed there. She layed on the beach for the 1/2 hour I was diving. When I was done with the dive we had the rest of the day on the beach. There was decent snorkeling in addition.

The website for the on-site dive shop is http://www.cokidive.com

Personally, if I was going there with my family of 4, I'd rent a car. It would be less expensive than taking a taxi and we'd have the freedom to go other places if we wished. Of course, your comfort level for driving on the left side of the road should be taken into consideration if you are considering renting a vehicle.

I think I'd spend the extra for a cab rather than drive. Not only do they drive on the left side of the road, but the trip from Charlotte Amalie to Coki Beach is on very windy, hilly roads and Charlotte Amalie can get very congested. Plus you'll spend part of your vacation getting to and from the car rental facility.

I'm not sure whether there was much parking at Coki Beach, so parking can be an issue.

Anyone have experience snorkeling at Coki Beach in St Thomas? We are considering going there when we visit St Thomas in Oct by cruise ship.

Cost for taxi? How long of a drive? Anything "must do" or avoid doing? What to bring? Etc.

Anything you can provide is greatly appreciated.

:)

taxi is about 11$ pp.. coki is nothing fancy but a great place to snorkel from the shore.. go around the rocks towards the pier with the aquarium.. beautiful fish and coral there

We went snorkeling at Coki last year and had a great time. We went out shopping early, did a little sightseeing and went back to the ship to get our own snorkeling gear. We took a taxi $10 pp I think (1 year ago) and the driver actually waited for us while we snorkeled. We even took our 2 DS's 11 and 9 at the time and they loved it! It was really beautiful and easy!

Have a great time!:D

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Coki Beach Snorkeling exscrusins from the NCL Jewel. We arrived there early that morning and had a great time. Water was clear and lots of fish underwater. Besure to take an underwater camera with you. We had plenty of time to do shopping when we got back to the ship.

The only issue with renting a car is to make sure you have confirmed reservations. The rental companies are just outside the port shopping center at the cruise ship pier. The mountain (???) road is not really much of a mountain and not that winding. Traffic wasn't much of a problem when I was there. There is parking at Coki Beach but parking in town can be a bear.

Howard

Archived