Taking babies on a cruise?

lastingtouch

I don’t think this has been the topic of a thread but if it has it’s been a while. The question is….is it worth going on a cruise and taking a little one, 3 to 18 months old? Or if possible leave the tike home with a sitter?

What do you think? :)

Being a grandfather and being on a few cruises, I have seen a lot of families with young ones. Depending on the itinerary of the cruise and if you are doing excursions, the heat for the child is cause to worry. Its a 50-50 split. It like going to the grocery stroe, some childern get along great and some just don't think this is the palce to be. There's my first 2 cents.:)

We brought our daughter when she was just 8 months old and also when she was 18 months but we also brought the grandparents so those were our sitters : )

We had a great time on both cruises but it was a different kind of great~

You might want to check out the "family cruising" boards...Lots of info and advice....

I don’t think this has been the topic of a thread but if it has it’s been a while. The question is….is it worth going on a cruise and taking a little one, 3 to 18 months old? Or if possible leave the tike home with a sitter?

What do you think? :)

I just returned back from the Spirit with my 2 little ones 14 mo and 4 yo. I posted reviews both here and on the family board. We had a great time!!!! There were so many babies and young children on this cruise that I would have missed mine terribly had we left them at home!!!! DH and I sailed on Celebrity several years ago without my son (DD wasn't born yet). We had an incredibly relaxing trip, but I was very anxious to get home to my little guy!!!! My children are very well behaved and easy to travel with, so I guess this helps. For more GREAT info on traveling with young children, check out the family board:)

My son has been on NCL at 3 months, 1 year and soon again at 19 months - it has been great each time! I treasure my vacation time to spend with him and have found that a cruise is one of the easiest vacations with small kids (in terms of food options - especially NCL with freestyle) and having a small, consistent base. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer.

Thanks all! At your advice I did check out the other board on family cruising. We love NCL and leaving from NY. There was little mention on the other board about sea sickness regarding children under 2. Have any of you had to deal with this? Olyvia is our granddaughter, almost 6 months.

Thanks all! At your advice I did check out the other board on family cruising. We love NCL and leaving from NY. There was little mention on the other board about sea sickness regarding children under 2. Have any of you had to deal with this? Olyvia is our granddaughter, almost 6 months.

Thankfully we had a smooth trip down the Atlantic last week and neither of my children experienced any signs of seasickness. My pediatrician reccommended that I bring Benadryl just in case, but we didn't need to use it.

If your granddaughter is going to be under 6 months at the time of the cruise, make sure to check with NCL about age requirements as I think babies need to be older than 6 months to sail with them now. If she'll be older than 6 months, you'll be fine!

I think this is a question you have to answer for yourselves, no one else knows the child like you do.

Our kids didn't cruise until they were 6 and 9, they would not have been good travelers before then. Both of them were homebodies and didn't like to be away from home for more than a long weekend. Even at 5 and 9, the air travel was tough for them, the cruiseline put us on a red-eye flight. The first 2 days of the vacation was a disaster.

I've seen families having a great time and I've seen them miserable with a cranky baby or toddler. So, I think it depends on the child and the willingness of the parents to give up some of their vacation time to allow kids to get enough sleep.

So, if you do decide to cruise with your little one, adjust your plans to accomodate the childs schedule.

If you're looking for a romantic get-a-way, the baby needs to stay home! I was never lucky enough to be able to afford a vacation of any kind when our kids were little. The one time we were able to go, my mom kept my 11 mo. old son. They had a great time--bonded, and all that. Hubby and I got to "know' each other again!

My vote is for leaving the child with a trusted family member, and go have a good time, with no baby schedule!

If you're looking for a romantic get-a-way, the baby needs to stay home! I was never lucky enough to be able to afford a vacation of any kind when our kids were little. The one time we were able to go, my mom kept my 11 mo. old son. They had a great time--bonded, and all that. Hubby and I got to "know' each other again!

My vote is for leaving the child with a trusted family member, and go have a good time, with no baby schedule!

Up when DH and I have kids my rules are: no way, no kids on cruise until they are at the very least six or seven years old. My reason? At that age they are in school, can read and will be able to enjoy the trip more. A baby does not remember a trip like that but a six or seven year old will. Plus you can get an ajoining room with the kids in it, not share the room with a baby or toddler. That way DH and I can have "adult time". That is just my two cents there though.

Cynthia

I would like to ask a question if I may...

How do parents handle ports and excursions? I would imagine that would be more of a challenge than being aboard.

Thanks.:)

p.s. my kids are teens now

Actually the ports were quite easy for us:) We've spent our summers down the shore since our children were newborns so they are beach vets!!!! With a little planning beforehand, I picked shore excursions and beaches that were family friendly. The beaches in the Carribbean are so calm that even my 1 year old had a blast swimming in the sea and building sandcastles with the beautiful white sand:)

We took our girl on all the cruises we have taken since her birth (and even when she was in tummy;) ). At first my hubby was apprehensive about taking her on a cruise but it worked out wonderfully. She was 23 months (we waited awhile for reasons besides her age, like work) before that first cruise. So she was a month too early for Camp Carnival. We just kept her with us the whole time, and she was in our cabin (they do nap soundly at times;) ). It was a 3-day cruise and we had just one port, Ensenada, which has a little marketplace next to the pier, so we did a little shopping there and returned to the ship. We even extended our vacation after the cruise, and drove down to San Diego, stayed in a hotel and visited the Tall Ships. All good.

When she was 3, she got her first plane flight (which she loved) and she was fine on the cruise. Carnival allows (at least then, don't know about now) parents to leave their kids in the kids' program and leave the ship. They even take the kids to lunch. We did this for all the ports, except St. Thomas (took her to a beach). We stayed close to the pier for the other ports so we would get back on time.

As for the babies not remembering the cruise: when my child was first born, someone who had a lot more physiology classwork than me (she has a masters in audiology) told me to make sure the little one gets exposed to many experiences, especially to hearing different languages. This enables better brain development. So all those trips here and there, museums, theme parks, etc., help the child, even if they are very young. At age 9, she still has some memories of her second cruise.

Keep this in mind: The baby won't remember, but the PARENTS will. :)

I agree! Plus, I imagine that it's probably good for the baby to have some time with the parents away from the stress of everyday life. The quality time together is priceless.

Best,

Mia

I can't wait to take my DS on a cruise...he'll be 18m then. I think he'll have a fabulous time. Yes, he may not remember the experience when he's an adult, but DH and I will!

I don't get the whole "kids won't remember" argument anyway. He probably won't remember being potty-trained or learning to read, either, but he'll be thrilled he did it anyway! Same with a family vacation...perhaps it won't be carved into his lifelong memory, but he's still going to have fun that week! That's good enough for me! :D

An individual is a sum of all of his/her experiences. While an infant or young child may not have specific memories of a particular experience (like a trip), the time spent with their family, laughing and enjoying each other becomes an important "piece" of that child.

A cruise with your child is different than a cruise you would take with adults only, not worse - just different. I would argue any time I spend with my DD is better than "adult" time but of course I don't just LOVE my daughter, I actually LIKE her as well! :D

I have traveled with a baby 3 months, 6 monts and 13 months. After traveling with my 13 month old son I didn't cruise again for 3 years. Instead we did beach trips with family and friends and that was better in terms of they can run wild- we ate in the condo and he could run around and at night we could have drinks and stay in and have a great time. It didn't cost much and the entire family had fun.

I wouldn't cruise with a todler but highly recommend cruising with 3 and up- when you get more bang for your buck. You can do the fine dining and have more free time during the day to relax. Plus, changing diapers on cruises- washing kids in a confined area, etc- just wasn't a thrill.

I guess I like cruising with my toddlers for the same reason I loved cruising just with my husband - someone is doing everything for you. I hated our condo vacation because when I'm on vacation, I want to be served, not have to deal with meal preparation three times a day. Plus, I can't afford to feed my twins shrimp at every meal in a condo!

It's nice that we have all these options - condo, resort or cruise. When I was a kid, I was often one of just a few on the cruise ship.

Best,

Mia

When my son was 9 mos he went on his first airplane and he was fantastic. We visited friends, stayed in a hotel, went sightseeing and he napped in his stroller. He loved it. When he was 14 months we left him with my mother while we went on a cruise. The ship was full of toddlers and e-mailing my mother was was horrible. Just getting one e-mail out a day took forever. The ship and cruise line had a bad reputation for that, however it was not our first choice as our first choice was dry docked. Every where we looked we saw a toddler and missed our son. When we got home he wouldn't let me touch him for 6 hours.

This year he will be 26 months and we are getting part of the trip paid for by the cruise line due to the cancellation and bringing him. To the person who said as long as the baby isn't next to me I never heard a baby crying across the hall or next door. We do not plan on doing excursion other then walking around shopping areas (because he loves to walk) and spending time on the beach). Yes, he will interfere with relaxation, but it will mean quality time with my son who does not like to stay home. He likes to go to parks and run around. So now he can spend time with mommy and daddy without mommy cooking or running errands or anybody going to work I think he'll get a lot out of that and so will we.

And yes he'll throw a tantrum and I'll do my best to keep it from interfering with other people's cruises as best as I can. And yes I'll be walking out of the dining room, but I have to say that last year with all those toddlers I never once saw one throw a tantrum. The cruiseline I'm using also has inroom babysitting which I'm considering using during naptime or evening on occasion.

BTW somewhere between 9 months and a year things change but before that change they are so easy to travel with.

When my son was 9 mos he went on his first airplane and he was fantastic. We visited friends, stayed in a hotel, went sightseeing and he napped in his stroller. He loved it. When he was 14 months we left him with my mother while we went on a cruise. The ship was full of toddlers and e-mailing my mother was was horrible. Just getting one e-mail out a day took forever. The ship and cruise line had a bad reputation for that, however it was not our first choice as our first choice was dry docked. Every where we looked we saw a toddler and missed our son. When we got home he wouldn't let me touch him for 6 hours.

This year he will be 26 months and we are getting part of the trip paid for by the cruise line due to the cancellation and bringing him. To the person who said as long as the baby isn't next to me I never heard a baby crying across the hall or next door. We do not plan on doing excursion other then walking around shopping areas (because he loves to walk) and spending time on the beach). Yes, he will interfere with relaxation, but it will mean quality time with my son who does not like to stay home. He likes to go to parks and run around. So now he can spend time with mommy and daddy without mommy cooking or running errands or anybody going to work I think he'll get a lot out of that and so will we.

And yes he'll throw a tantrum and I'll do my best to keep it from interfering with other people's cruises as best as I can. And yes I'll be walking out of the dining room, but I have to say that last year with all those toddlers I never once saw one throw a tantrum. The cruiseline I'm using also has inroom babysitting which I'm considering using during naptime or evening on occasion.

BTW somewhere between 9 months and a year things change but before that change they are so easy to travel with.

I totally agree. DH and I cruised last year, without kids. We thought about them the entire week, and vowed never to cruise without them. No, we will not be able to relax as much with them, but If we went to a waterpark and stayed in a hotel, we would not relax much either. My opinion is this: When you take kids on vacations there is no relaxing, no matter where you go. You are mom, and you will be in mom mode. We don't get the chance to crusie often, so any chance I get to show my DD this huge ship, and all the beaches, and etc. I will do it. As, far as time for my DH and I, Grandama can just keep the kids 1 weekend and that would be enough peace for me. Let me add...if I cruised 3-4 times a year, yes, I would leave them home at least once. My kids are 7 yo and 18 mo.

Different strokes for different folks!:)

In my experience- it is sometimes easier to stay at home with kids. Flights with active toddlers aren't fun. The cabins are small and claustrophobic to start with and you have to bring so much stuff for baby. You can't take advantage of all the things afforded to you on a cruise.

So, for my money... I'd rather stay in a large, luxurious condo than a cramped cabin.

But cruising is my favorite way to travel- just not with a toddler.

Several years ago (9 1/2) we took our 18 month old on a cruise. She was a great traveler (as opposed to her sister who came along 8 months later), so we had no concern or fear of a tough time.

At dinner with our table mates she was the life of the party!

Baby monitors don't work well, so we would put her down for a nap and return to the door to listen every 1/2 hour until it was nearing the time for her to wake up then we would step it up to every 15 minutes. This worked great for us, but she was also an incredible sleeper who would play in her crib for a long time once she awoke.

This also worked at night so we had a night life.

But this would never have worked with our second child who was far less predictable.

Archived