scooter boarding nyc

eigig

Thanks to all the helpful input on this forum, last year we rented a scooter from carevacations for use on the Noordam leaving from new york. Worked great for my husband (MS).

This year we are buying a scooter and have booked a handicap room on the QM2 leaving from Brooklyn.

My question is this:

How easy/difficult is it to board the ship on a scooter? He really would love to take it from our car (we live 10 minutes away from the dock) to the room and not have to deal with the wheelchair boarding hassles or have me carting the scooter around.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Eileen

I'm not sure how the dock is in New York, but my husband scooted up a gangway from the dock to the fourth floor of the Regal Princess out of San Francisco with no problem. Most ports have a series of elevators and gradual ramps which makes it much easier, but I do know that you can scoot up even a steep incline.

Kate

thanks sounds promising --I guess that is really my question:

Is it possible to board most ships on a scooter or do you have to transfer to a wheelchair due to the incline?

Eileen

thanks sounds promising --I guess that is really my question:

Is it possible to board most ships on a scooter or do you have to transfer to a wheelchair due to the incline?

Eileen

Hi Eileen, I have boarded at least 4 times on different ships with my scooter. Did not have to use a transfer wheelchair. It is great to have so much independence!!! I ride it all the way from where we park the car through security check and up the ramps and finally to our room.

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise,

IrisF

MY partner uses a scooter and is a big woman--she has lost power a couple of times on the way up the ramp, but the staff, bless them, jumped in and we got her up to the top. If this happens, remember you have to release the brake to push someone, and re-set the brake when they're at the top and ready to move on their own power again.

How cool, to be just ten minutes away from boarding! I would live at the dock...!

Kristen

Thanks for the advice--I would not have thought of that.

Looks like we can get from the car to the room with little hassle. :)

Yes, nice to be near the dock-- a little distracting on your way to and from work but still pleasant.:cool:

Eileen

Archived