Celebrity Box Lunch

Beally

:confused: Spending a lot of time in Hawaii, we are extremely sensitive to not being able to bring things like fruits or some types of plants in to or out of the state and would never intentionally break any immigration laws (so please don't rip us a new one before offering up more information) -- but where are you getting your information that says it's illegal to bring a sandwich or a cookie from the ship into a country, please? Also, the only "trouble we might "ask for" is totally innocently having food that would be confiscated by a port authority and which we would be more than happy to turn over if asked or if we saw a sign that said we were not to bring food into the country or read it somewhere (other than in a ship's newsletter, which have been known to publish incorrect or "untrue" information from time to time, believe it or not). Again, I'd like to research this before our next cruise in September to the Baltic if you can point me in the right direction.

And this certainly has NOTHING TO DO with our not respecting laws. We are law abiding people, wherever we are - in the US or anywhere else on the planet.

Lighten up a little, people. We are not criminals!! Why you have decided that we should be incarcertated over food is beyond me!

Sorry... but if you bring in food products to another country without a permit you are a CRIMINAL. A single insect can infest a country and ruin it's crops.

People are regularly fined and jailed for exactly that. Canada regularly has food sniffing dogs at the airports and if you are caught importing raw food without a permit you will be fined. Canada even asks you on your declaration form.

How serious is this taken? The US and Canada incinerates every piece or garbage that comes off a foreign airplane. Everything! The daily planner that the cruise line gives you has a warning about this each and every port that you arrive at.

I've seen so many signs posted about this. Some countries have garbage cans as you leave the ship and reminders. You have garbage cans and reminders as you enter Hawaii. How you ignore all of those signs... is completely beyond me.

Just my opinion, but the idea that the box lunch is "so you don't have to stop for lunch" is suspect. It's been easy everywhere that we have been to grab lunch in 20 minutes or less. Not a sit down, just deli or vendor food. We usually do our own thing ashore not taking organized tours. We always have time for a quick lunch. The ships tours that last all day usually include lunch. I can't speak to the private operators. But if one is opting for a "box lunch" that wouldn't be a sit down either. I know some who have made their own form the sandwich station and buffet line. Their comment was to the effect that they were paying for the ship food anyway, so why pay for food ashore.

Regards

I know some who have made their own form the sandwich station and buffet line. Their comment was to the effect that they were paying for the ship food anyway, so why pay for food ashore.

Regards

Exactly the reason behind my question:

Just wondering, if Celebrity charged for a box lunch to 'take with', would you pay to have this?

Spend some money at the port, buy a darned sandwich!

Sorry... but if you bring in food products to another country without a permit you are a CRIMINAL. A single insect can infest a country and ruin it's crops.

If a pestilence is insect-transmitted, chances are the insect could get from ship to shore with or without food smuggling. A moth or a fruit fly, for example, could certainly fly off the ship and into any country in which a ship docks...

If a pestilence is insect-transmitted, chances are the insect could get from ship to shore with or without food smuggling. A moth or a fruit fly, for example, could certainly fly off the ship and into any country in which a ship docks...

Thanks Drew, I am sure your comment will lead all countries to change their laws regarding not allowing people to bring fruit, meats, plants etc. into their country. Somehow you know more than all the scientists and experts in this area.

Thanks Drew, I am sure your comment will lead all countries to change their laws regarding not allowing people to bring fruit, meats, plants etc. into their country. Somehow you know more than all the scientists and experts in this area.

Um, no. There are other vectors for carrying disease other than insects. Those vectors could be prevented by keeping unwrapped food from leaving the ship.

Nice attitude, though. Your sarcasm is extremely welcoming.

Leave a banana out for a few days and you might be surprised. There is a reason for these regulations. There are places in the US you can't bring fruit in or out of. And places in Canada you can't bring wood in and out of. It's a reality.

Leave a banana out for a few days and you might be surprised. There is a reason for these regulations. There are places in the US you can't bring fruit in or out of. And places in Canada you can't bring wood in and out of. It's a reality.

Yes, but that exact same banana could be left out on the ship, and any fruit flies or other vermin that hatched could fly right off the ship and into the ecosystem of whatever port you're docked in. The banana doesn't have to leave the ship for the insect to get into the country. You see what I mean?

Almost anything is possible, but bringing that banana ashore probably increases the probability a hundred fold. Why not just observe the regulations instead of looking for loopholes or excuses? :rolleyes:

Almost anything is possible, but bringing that banana ashore probably increases the probability a hundred fold. Why not just observe the regulations instead of looking for loopholes or excuses? :rolleyes:

I don't need any loophole, and I've never taken any food off. I try not to break rules, whether I agree with them or not. I was just responding to this comment:

A single insect can infest a country and ruin it's crops.

Assuming that is true, the infestation COULD happen whether or not somebody brings food ashore...

Archived