Pearl - Balcony Stateroom & Family of 4

77cruiser77

We are looking at an Alaska cruise in 2008 with NCL on the Pearl. As I have been getting quotes I noticed that most of them list the balcony rooms as having room for only 3. We have two kids, 13 and 6, does anyone know if we could all fit in a single room? I have started quoting two balconies that are adjoining in anticipation that we will need the space, but I figured I would check the boards and see what others have done.

Thanks!

How much do you enjoy each other's company :D ? We had 4 of us in a balcony room on the Sun -- 173 square feet plus 48 for the balcony. The Pearl's random balcony cabin that I checked was slightly smaller -- 167 square feet plus 38 for the balcony. It's a tight squeeze for 4 people, but we managed and didn't kill each other. I haven't stayed in a balcony on the Pearl, so I'm not sure if the layout is the same or not. Our room on the Sun had two beds, pushed together for a basically queen size bed and a futon bed next to the balcony doors that slept our 2 teens.

It's not so much a matter of "will you all fit" as that the room will have to be rated for 4 people before NCL will book all 4 of you in it. It's a matter of lifeboat capacity, among other issues. What about booking a balcony and an inside right across the hall? That would be cheaper than two balcony rooms.

We just got back a couple of weeks ago from a cruise on the Pearl and there were 3 of us in a balcony room: my husband, my 15-year-old grandson and me. It was very crowded, especially when the sofa bed was extended at night for my grandson. The sofabed is approximately 4 feet wide and extends out to the desk on the opposite side of the room. So when the bed was extended, the door to the balcony was completely blocked.

Just my opinion, but I would not travel again with more than 2 people in a balcony on the Pearl.

definitely for with a minsuite at the least. Typically you will only be in your rooms for sleeping, with all of the activities going on and on the beach while in port. The couch bead isn't the best but will do. the size in a balcony cabin of the couch will really only fit one person.:)

It basically depends on your budget. We are taking our third cruise in a couple weeks and absolutely love it. The kids do too!! We don't have a ton of money and have always had inside cabins. All four of us in one inside cabin is pretty tight, but we spend very little time in the cabin and prefer to have the extra money for excursions and spending money. In two weeks, we'll be going to Alaska on the Pearl and have finally upgraded to an oceanview room. I have a feeling the room is probably still the same size as an inside cabin, but we get a window:) . My opinion is that you will all be fine in a balcony room--especially with the ages of your kids. This time around my kids are 16 and 14. Good thing we're a close family!!

Sheila

I agree with CRUZIN'TOM. 2 little ones might fit on the sleeper sofa offered in a balcony cabin but kids your ages would be a very very tight squeeze.

The sofa in the minis is considerably larger.

Plus there's a really nice thick curtain that "separates" the cabin into 2 areas so you won't feel like you're on top of one another.

If it's important to you, the mini also has a tub/shower vs. only a shower in the balcony.

Should you be interested in an "upsell" as things go along, let NCL or your TA know about it and you might get the lucky call.;):cool:

Although it may be a budget-buster, consider booking the AB Penthouse on the Pearl. I have resigned myself to either 2 cabins or the AB for our family; there just isn't enough room or privacy for 4 of us in a standard cabin. It is the perfect cabin for families, basically 2 bedrooms with 2 baths! If you are considering 2 balcony cabins, the price differential might not be too bad, and then you add in the suite amenities, the butler, etc, and I consider it a no-brainer. (I have been trying to compare some pricing for you, but none of my usual tools seem to be working for NCL today, which likely means that NCL's site is down).

If this breaks the budget, I would go with a mini-suite; the extra space should help a lot with your family.

Robin

I agree with CRUZIN'TOM. 2 little ones might fit on the sleeper sofa offered in a balcony cabin but kids your ages would be a very very tight squeeze.

The sofa in the minis is considerably larger.

Plus there's a really nice thick curtain that "separates" the cabin into 2 areas so you won't feel like you're on top of one another.

If it's important to you' date=' the mini also has a tub/shower vs. only a shower in the balcony.

Should you be interested in an "upsell" as things go along, let NCL or your TA know about it and you might get the lucky call.;):cool:[/quote']

There are true quad balcony cabins - Two lower singles that can be made as a queen, the sofa bed, and a pullman that drops down. I agree the extra space in a mini would be good but in a guad nobody has to share a bed ;)

Check out the deck plans they all have a + sign

Cabin 10610

• Private Balcony (1)
  • Shower (1)
  • Convertible Lower Beds (2)
  • Convertible Single Sofa Bed (1)
  • Oceanview Stateroom (1)
  • Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)
  • Pullman Bed (1)
  • Crib (1)
  • Duvet (1)
  • Refrigerator (1)
  • Hair Dryer (1)
  • Telephone (1)
  • Safety Deposit Box (1)
  • Television (1)
  • Sitting Area (1)
  • Tea and Coffee Maker (1)
  • Port Side (1)
  • Connecting Room (10608)
  • Sprinklers (1)
  • Internet access (1)
  • Balcony Square Footage (38)
  • Cabin Square Footage (167)
  • Pier aft (1)
  • Midship Section (1)
  • Bed Rails (

We had four girls traveling together on our last cruise (45, 22, 17, 12). We had two seperate cabins and decided it was not worth the money. This time we booked the mini suite and are very optimistic that it will be just right. When we were in the cabin last cruise we were sleeping or on the balcony.

My vote is mini suite and enjoy the quality time!:)

Archived