Bermuda Excursions

ashes6870

You really don't need excursions in Bermuda unless you want to go with a group. Bermuda is an easy island to navigate. Taxi drivers can double as tour guides but I think the best thing to do is rent a scooter and get a map and explore!

I think the best thing to do is rent a scooter and get a map and explore!

That's an option if you're comfortable driving a scooter on the left side of the road.

Another is a bus pass which gives you pretty much full access to the island by bus or ferry. We found it very easy to explore on our own this way. We've also used a taxi and with 4 people, it's an economical way to get around.

Many people do take excurions, and one place you might find more info is on the Bermuda Ports of Call Forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

Enjoy - Bermuda is beautiful!

You really don't need excursions in Bermuda unless you want to go with a group. Bermuda is an easy island to navigate. Taxi drivers can double as tour guides but I think the best thing to do is rent a scooter and get a map and explore!

I would recommend the taxi's and buses over the scooters. There have been many accidents with scooters do to the narrow roads, driving on the other side, unfamiliarity etc. Every cruise I have taken to Bermuda I have seen people in bandages and casts who were injured using scooters. On a couple of the cruises I have been to Bermuda people were killed using them. And on almost every cruise I have taken to Bermuda (7) I have witnessed scooter accidents myself.

I would recommend the taxi's and buses over the scooters. There have been many accidents with scooters do to the narrow roads, driving on the other side, unfamiliarity etc. Every cruise I have taken to Bermuda I have seen people in bandages and casts who were injured using scooters. On a couple of the cruises I have been to Bermuda people were killed using them. And on almost every cruise I have taken to Bermuda (7) I have witnessed scooter accidents myself.

I agree with you about the scooters.I've been to Bermuda 15 times and a scooter veteran.I stopped renting them several years ago having witnessed a fatality as a result of a scooter accident.The 3 day transportation pass($28)

is the best deal in town.It gives you unlimited use of buses and ferries.

We used the scooters when we had a hotel in Bermuda (twice) but found the busses were great when we cruised to Bermuda. We will get a 3-day bus pass (about $30) which is also good for the ferries. Quick tip-always give the bus driver a heartly welcome. ALso check out the Bermuda Department of Tourism (1-800-bermuda or www.bermudatourism.com). They will send you info including maps and bus schedules if you ask.

I guess it's up to each individual's comfort level. I've been riding the scooters in Bermuda on visits over the past 20 years in all sorts of weather and haven't had an accident. (touch wood!)

If you do want to ride a scooter but are concerned about driving on the left...just follow an automobile. Since Bermuda doesn't allow car rentals, the autos must be driven by a resident who ostensibly knows what they're doing! :)

The busses and ferries are terrific as well.

I'm with you cash :) Scooter's all the time. I guess the taxie's and buses don't have accidents :) I alwys get a double scooter--wife rides with me. Once she took the bus with our daughter to Horseshoe Bay--she got off the bus and said she would never ride the bus again. She said she felt a lot safer with me and the scooter. :) To each his own Ron

Thanks - we're good with the buses and taxis, but were interested in what shore excursions were available from the cruise line aboard ship and what the shipboard talks/lectures were like.

Pretty much any shore excursion offered by the cruise line you can do on your own for half the price or less. Bermuda is very easy to get around by bus, ferry or taxi on your own to the major attractions. It is not a large island. If you want to go to the beaches, or the Crystal Caves, the Aquarium, Gibbs Lighthouse, do it on your own by bus or taxi. If you want a guided island tour, taxi drivers who offer that will be right outside the terminal. The cruise line tour just puts you in the same taxi and it costs you twice as much. Off hand, the only excursions I would consider available from the cruise line would be snorkeling from a boat or helmet diving and even those you could arrange yourself and get a better deal.

We met two different couples who found taxi drivers to take them on personalized tours for several hours or 1/2 day. They raved about seeing sights that are not on the typical tourist trail and about how nice their drivers were. One couple had done this on several trips to Bermuda. That's what we will try next time. For us, on our first visit, the buses and ferries worked very well.

We met two different couples who found taxi drivers to take them on personalized tours for several hours or 1/2 day. They raved about seeing sights that are not on the typical tourist trail and about how nice their drivers were. One couple had done this on several trips to Bermuda. That's what we will try next time. For us, on our first visit, the buses and ferries worked very well.

I have done this myself and I would rave about it too. It was great. I had been on buses in Bermuda a bunch of times before I took the taxi tour. I saw much more and learned a lot more on the taxi tour than all those bus rides. The drivers who are allowed to give the taxi tours are specially trained for tours, know a lot about their island and as you mention will take you places the buses don't go. Even things I knew about like the railway trail and the moongates, I did not comprehend fully until after taxi tour. If you can get four or more people to go the price is very reasonable. It came out to about $25 per person for three hours. That was about half the island. I plan to do the other half when I can get a few people together willing to do it.

Archived