Thal....thallo...Big Spa questions

Solo Cruiser

For those of you who have booked the week long packages covering the thermal suite and the thallasso (sp?) therapy areas, did you do that once on board or is there some way to book it in advance?

This is the first time I've cruised on HAL and I'm thnking of using a week pass for this area as my major shore excursion expense. Sounds like a great way to relax and enjoy.

Hey Solo,

My DH and I did the Thermal Suite and Hydro-pool week pass on the Westerdam last September. It was heaven.

After you have checked into your room, head to the Spa where they are giving tours. At each area, you are asked if you would like to book the service. Once you see the Thermal Suite you'll sign up on the spot!

Enjoy!

Mary

Ferry Watcher

Take advantage of this area for your entire cruise. The sights out the windows of the spa are gorgeous and the facilities are the most relaxing anywhere on the ship. It is my favorite spot for cruising.

LInda

Go to the spa area once boarding for the pass, i believe last year our 10 day pass for 129. ea or 200. for a couple. DD and I split it and enjoyed every moment of the experience.

You don't need an appointment for the hydro-pool or thermal suites. You go anytime they are open, I actually went a couple of times a day:rolleyes: You give your room key in exchange for the thermal suite key. This is also where the steam room was.

The most relaxing moment was when I was laying on the thermal bed and we were sailing and the seagulls were flying by the windows at almost the same speed as the ship and appeared to be looking in to see me relaxing!:D :D :D

It was $125.00 pp for 7 days and worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY!

My DH in intrigued. What exactly are the "thermal suites" and what are the hours they are available? Is is like a sauna room? Is it private or will we be sharing with other passengers? Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. We are sailing on the Noordam in two weeks!

Mary

The thermal suites, as mentioned previously, are wonderful. On the Noordam in January I booked for the entire cruise. The cruise long pass includes both the hydropool and thermal suites. The hydropool is a large pool with chrome loungers and a circular section which has stronger currents which are great for the feet and body. My only complaint with the hyrdopool was I wish they made it a bit hotter. I found it no hotter than my tub at home. When I questioned it they said they couldn't make it hotter because of people with high blood pressure etc. I have high blood pressure and I found it too cool for me. But still a great place to spend a half hour or as long as you want.

The Thermal Suites on the Noordam are a separate area a few feet down the hall with five or six ceramic loungers that are heated that are heaven to lie on. I fell asleep a few times. They face the ocean and depending on where you are there can be amazing views. There are three different showers with different water sprays. And three different saunas of differing heat temparatures. They are for all passengers who pay the fees so you may get a crowd or no one depending on your time of day.

I highly recommend them for a very relaxing and pampering time. You don't have to book the whole cruise pass, you can book on a daily basis when you feel like using them. For our 11 day cruise in January they were $30 a day for both or $15 if you just wanted to use the pool or thermal suite.

Here are some pictures. The first is the Hydropool. Like a big jacuzzi and at one end there is a bed made of pipes you lay on and the bubbles surround you. Very relaxing. And you can get in the middle and the bubbles REALLY blow you around...fun! The 2nd picture is the Thermal Bed. They are tile & heated....EXTREMELY relaxing!:p 3rd is the dry room, heated but not as hot as a sauna, the steam room looks the same on the other side.

158497372-S.jpg.a5f8786f525256459e72b10ea8821ab9.jpg

161759949-S.jpg.5874ed08149f502844868e4ed3eb0e7c.jpg

161759985-S.jpg.6d4ad7234905dee40534a6d9688f9d91.jpg

Thanks, GrammaZ and SakeDad for the information. I'm guessing swimwear is appropriate in all the areas? :rolleyes: My DH is ready to sign up the minute we get on board!

Mary

Yes, it is all co-ed, so swimsuits are needed! Do book it as soon as you get aboard, as passes are limited to prevent crowding.

Here are some more pics:

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/thermal.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

SakeDad and Mike: thank you so much for the pictures. From the looks of things, this is going to be my big splurge (other than the god knows how many calories I'll consume) for my upcoming cruise.

It sounds like passes are limited so signing up at the spa will be the first thing I do, even before lunch :eek: . Has anyone run into the problem that either the pool or the thermal suite area was maxed out occupant wise and couldn't be used at the time of your choosing?

A special thanks to you Mike, you've been giving me great cruise advice on first another board and now this one. I really appreciate the friendliness and enthusiasm of cruisers.

It sounds like passes are limited so signing up at the spa will be the first thing I do, even before lunch :eek: . Has anyone run into the problem that either the pool or the thermal suite area was maxed out occupant wise and couldn't be used at the time of your choosing?

We tend to go up at all times of day, sometimes several times a day, often right after we leave a port or before dinner ... we have never found them crowded. Many times the two of us have it entirely to ourselves. There are five or six couches, and once or twice we have seen all the couches occupied. In that case we just start with the steam or aroma therapy, and by the time we come out usually there are couches. They do have a notice posted to please limit your couch time to 20 minutes if there are others waiting.

The Thermal Pool is quite large and has room for many people, but again we have never found it crowded.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I have gotten up and given my thermal recliner to someone who came in with a significant other, but never gone without one. No such sign on the Volendam or Zaandam, but I have been the only one in the suite which is delightful in and of itself.

Linda

Can I assume from this that one can't sign up on the website? Think I read somewhere that there's a "gift certificate" that can be ordered for spa services, but that it's not the same as making a reservation.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.;)

Mike,

You showed us the prices:

• one week pass per person $99
  • one week couples pass $150
  • one week couples thermal suite and hydropool combo $250

What exactly does the $250 get that the $150 doesn't? Just the hydropool? Thanks so much for your pictures; they are most inviting!

Mary

Archived