How much Spanish do you need to know?

cruisemeister8

Our plans for Coz include one excursion, which will drop us off at a point where we have to take a taxi to our next destination. (possibly the beach?) And then we'd have to take the taxi back from the beach to shopping or the ship.

How much Spanish do we need to know to be able to give these directions and such? Or do the people in Coz speak English to cater to tourists?

It's so funny, I never worried about a language barrier in the other ports (Ocho Rios & Georgetown). Now, suddely Coz concerns me. Maybe it's because we're so sensitive to Spanish because (ironically) we live so close to the Mexican border; yet we speak so little Spanish. We hear so many horror stories of what goes on - across the bridge - that we don't want to feel vulnerable in Coz.

Am I underestimating Coz? Should we feel as safe and comfortable there as in the other ports?

Hi Cruisemeister8,

I've been to Coz quite a few times and never met anyone who did not speak at least some English, this includes waiters and busboys, bartenders, gas station attendants, convenience store clerks... And, the younger ones tend to be very fluent in English.

Although I've never hired a cab (I usually just walk around town or rent a jeep), you could keep a map with you and point out where you want to go and the only phrase you need is "quanto dollars" (how much).

Have fun!

I've been to Cozumel several times and always take cabs. Never had a problem. Maybe if I wanted to have a conversation (what beach do you recommend?), it might be a problem. But, I always have a destination, so it's been just fine.

Do make sure you know where your ship is docked. There are several docks in Cozumel, and you need to be able to tell the driver where to take you on the return trip. Many of the drivers know which ship is docked at each, but I wouldn't count on it.

Ok, I know its not related to you actual query, but I went on cruise last year to Spain - learnt a little spanish before I went to be 'polite', and ended up speaking FRENCH to a local we met on the harbour :D - my spanish wasn't good enough for a conversation but between my school french & his english we chatted for about 15 minutes!

Also, the only time I used my spanish was to order coffee & I am sure I said "Dos Cafe con leche, sil vous plait" :o (forgive me if this example isn't up to scratch, I haven't started 'revising' yet & seem to have forgotton it all!)

This year I have french, spanish & italian to deal with - should be interesting.

Karen

Archived