Which cruise line for W. Carribean?

CALMOM

My husband and I would like to take our daughter and one of her friends to the Western Carribean June or July 2008 for a H.S. graduation celebration. We sailed with Carnival Glory to the Eastern Carribean and had a few too many problems. However, I have sailed on Carnival prior to that and was very satisfied. I am now trying to decide to sail with Carnival or RCL (one of the Freedom ships). Carnival would be about $700 cheaper than RCL but I think the girls would enjoy all the new features on RCL verses Carnival. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

My husband and I would like to take our daughter and one of her friends to the Western Carribean June or July 2008 for a H.S. graduation celebration. We sailed with Carnival Glory to the Eastern Carribean and had a few too many problems. However, I have sailed on Carnival prior to that and was very satisfied. I am now trying to decide to sail with Carnival or RCL (one of the Freedom ships). Carnival would be about $700 cheaper than RCL but I think the girls would enjoy all the new features on RCL verses Carnival. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Try NCL Jewel or Pearl both great ships and new pretty good prices also and on board credits going on our 3 cruise on pearl in Dec but you would have to go during spring break as the end cruises out of Miami in mid April

I have't cruised either line, but from what I've seen in the various ports and website.....I think I would go with RCL. Seems to be more family oriented than Carnival - IMO:)

Look into Royal Caribbean's western Caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral on Mariner of the Seas. :)

It is easy to fly into Orlando and take a shuttle to the port and there are a number of hotels at the port if you arrive the day before (smart idea) that will drive you to the ship.

The girls will love the new zip line on RCI's private destination, Labadee, Haiti.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=570658

We have done the Carnival Miracle to the W. Caribbean and NCL Sun to W. Caribbean. I would never do NCL again because the service is far below Carnival. However I loved Carnival Miracle and I think you would be fine with HAL or RCCL. The ports are great and I am sure you will love it. Even tho NCL was not great the ports were so nice.

I should also mention that when we went on the Miracle we took our 5 teen kids. They were 16, 16, 17, 18, and 18 years old. They had a blast!! Absolutly loved the ship. One word of warning, Mexico will serve alcohol to any age. Even on a ship's tour.

Just got back from 5-day cruise on Carnival Inspiration (June '07) to Grand Cayman and Calica Mexico. I traveled with 7 teen girls (ages 13-15) and their moms...the girls had a great time, and the moms too! The Inspiration is showing its age a bit, but is due to be revamped in dry dock this fall, so next spring/summer might be a good time to go. The Carnival Imagination also does 5-day cruises, though I think the ships alternate between Calica and Cozumel stops. The ship was well laid out and easy for kids and adults alike to navigate and be entertained (the pizza/ice cream will do that if nothing else will!). Considering the cost, this trip was WELL WORTH the savings we might have gotten on an RC cruise, and I love the warm family feeling I've always gotten from Carnival. Be prepared for LOTS of photo ops (for purchase, of course) on board...I steered clear, but the teens loved to get photographed at EVERY spot on board and then giggle over the pics the next day in the photo shop. Carnival definitely lost money this trip on our girls with those photos!

We did the Carnival Turtle Farm/Hell/Stingray Sandbar combined tour. After tendering from the ship (no choice in Cayman) to the pier, we had a bit of a wait for the rest of the folks to join the tour, so we started late. It made the island tour a bit rushed (we didn't even get to stop for photos along 7-mile beach, which I was bummed we missed out on). The turtle farm was fun, but too pricey to do on your own, I hear. It was the one part my daughter didn't want to do before we left home, but she was having so much fun with the turtles once we arrived that she didn't want to leave! I have some fabulous photos of her from there (you know the kind...where a normally moody 13-year-old is actually laughing and smiling?). The Tortuga Rum factory was forgettable, but don't forget to stop by to see Miss Ruby across the street from there, who makes her own baskets and brooms. My girls loved meeting her. Hell was "quaint" to say the least, but the teens liked the idea of sending postcards from there. (Don't forget to bring your addresses with you!) Other than a few photo opportunities, there's nothing else there. We then went to meet the boat to take us to the sandbar area and the trip seemed much more relaxed from there (our driver was afraid we'd miss the boat, so it felt like she kind of rushed us through the first few stops). The stingray sandbar experience was awesome...it's definitely a 'don't miss' opportunity. We have yet to receive the photos we purchased on board yet (CD supposed to be shipped to me), but can't wait to get them.

In Calica, we took the Tulum/Xel-Ha combined tour. Trip to Tulum via bus was easy, and we got an unexpected shopping stop on the way, which the teens and moms both loved (they didn't think we'd get to do any shopping in Mexico!). Needless to say, more than one sombrero made it back on our bus after that stop...! Tulum was cool, but we didn't realize you couldn't go inside (or very close to) some of the ruins. Photos from the beach were great. Our tour guide was very informative, to the point where the teens started to wander off on their own. Everyone in our group straggled away from the guide before long, because we were afraid we'd miss something if we just stayed to listen to him (we never caught up with that group again!).

Back on the bus, the driver had convinced us the food at Xel-Ha was so expensive, that we should purchase his boxed lunch...too may of us did, and most of us were sorry...the turkey sandwiches were warm, and not eating most of it made it no "deal" for most of us. Don't fall for that trick like we did. Carnival stated that snack/drink were include on this excursion, but driver only had water/soda/beer for sale (no freebies). Also no diet drinks of any kind.

Xel-Ha was beautiful, and snorkeling was fun, though the water is a bit cloudy. No free snorkel gear rental via the excursion, though, your money only gets you into the park. Once there, everything costs extra. We didn't eat there, though I was the only one dumb enough to order a soda (with ice) and did get sick later that day because of the ice! The big plus was that once we got to Xel-Ha, we had a good 3-hour or more block of time to spend there, so it was nice and relaxing. Take advantage of the time and do the walk around the park...hot, but you'll come home with some great photos and memories.

Some of the better shopping was actually along the dock as we re-boarded...don't forget to really haggle...they'll make you a great deal if you are willing to walk away!

Overall, the food and dining room experience in general on Inspiration was FABULOUS! Don't miss the Teriyaki short ribs or the warm chocolate melting cake! Shows were very good (though El Nuevo Caribe the last night was the best); I heard the 2nd adult-only comedian was hilarious, but I missed that show...too tired from being in sun all day at Tulum and Xel-Ha!

We did Carnival Glory for an Eastern Caribbean cruise in Dec '05 with NO problems of any kind...sorry you didn't have our luck! That cruise was the reason I became a Carnival fan in the first place!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a suggestion. I've been on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. Both were great lines. I would strongly suggest Royal Caribbean because they have so many activities on their ships, especially if you get on one of the Freedom ships which are huge and offer a variety of activities for kids (and adults) of all ages.

Had some friends just get back from a Carnival cruise (who have also been on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity). They said Carnival is about 5-6 steps down from either of these other ships. Also had other friends who sailed Carnival and won't ever sail their ships again.

Sometimes you have to remember, you get what you pay for.:)

• 1 month later...

Far be it for me to defend Carnival-after all I'm sure the owner is rich and I have to go to work every day BUT as I explained to my co-worker: "Thank God for Carnival. What Carnival did was allow almost everyone the opportunity to GET ON A SHIP. They may not have the Royal Suite, but a least they're ON the ship. And can enjoy all the fun things available to pretty much everyone else. And all that delicious food. And even if they can't afford shore excursions, at least they can get off the ship and walk around and be able to say THEY WERE THERE." IMHO. :-)

Carnival Pride June '06 Mexican Rivera Balcony Cabin

RCL Mariner of the Seas '08 Western Caribbean Balcony Cabin

I know this was originally posted last year, but I wanted to put in my 2-cents worth. I've been on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Windjammer and Cunar's QM2. Hands down, the Queen lives up to the hype. The service was nothingmless than first rate, from the momen I stepped onto the ship in Miami. Passengers were greeted by a left and right flank of crispy uniformed officers and crew. "Good Morning/Afternoon sir/ma'am, welcome aboard Queen Mary 2, enjoy your cruise". Then the last in the line looks at your boarding papers and directs you to one of several elevators to your cabin. Talk about service! The Cruise Director ( quite a handsome chap), hosts a morning talk show similar to Good Morning America, where he discusses issues important to the guests (like Norovirus, with an interview with the ship's physician), interviews with the Activities Director, Ballkroom Dance instructors, ship's dance partners, the entertainers/performers in the theater, and so on. It's quite enjoyable and refreshing to not have to look at the standard ship's tour video that rolls on continuous loop on other ships. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that the bar was set high with QM2! Whatever cruise you and your family decide, I'm sure it will be wonderful; after all, you get out of every vacation what you put into it. Take care.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived