Hurricane or rough sea's on Glory 8-28

JrMafia90

A hurricane takes days to form and travel across the ocean. The most powerful ones form off the coast of africa (cape verde islands) and gain strength as they move across the water. There are many factors which decide the direction of the storms. Hurricane season is June 1st to Nov 30th however - The "peak" of the season, unfortunately is the mid august thru the end of sept...sometimes october can be a very active month.

Since 8/28 is too soon to know if any hurricanes, Tropical Depression or Tropical Stroms are in the making...the best thing you can do is visit these websites http://www.stormcarib.com and http://hurricane.accuweather.com/ also stay tuned to the Weather Channel at 10 minutes to every hour - they have a segment on "The Tropics" which is dedicated to this area during the active hurricane season.

Hope this helps...also having trip insurance is a good idea when vacationing espically during hurricane season.

Hurricane season lasts from June until the end of November. We have weather warning days in advance. We do have computer models that predict the areas that the hurricane can possibly travel. This weekend I fully expected my area to take a direct hit from Charley, approx. 100 miles from Tampa it turned and hit another area. The ships receive warnings in advance so that they can change their course.

Think of the Caribbean island chain as a long breakwater. If seas are rough up one side there is a good chance the itinerary will be changed so the ship sails up the other side of the islands to be safer and smoother.

Chances are you're unlikely to experience an extended period of rough seas, but this time of year you have to be prepared for interary changes enroute as the captain avoids the really big waves and closed ports of call. Please don't be one of those people screaming at guest relations! The cruise line has the right to eliminate a port of call or change all of them if there is a concern. Just roll with it, enjoy the new ports and the free hour of drinks that usually happens if an extra sea day is required.

You can check the tropical forcast at Baynews 9 just go to http://www.baynews9.com and click on weather, then click on tropical weather. We were breathing a sigh of relief because Tampa was spared last time. If you see anything develop before your cruise you can call Carnival and ask them what their plan is at 1-800-CARNIVAL.

I am not aware of any cruise insurance policies that pay off for you to skip a cruise for bad weather. Hurricane season is June 1 through November 30. There have been hurricane like storms during most months of the year in the tropics. In 30 cruises, I have had 2 hurricanes at sea. Neither ruined my vacation. I was still with my DH. We still ate, danced, drank and had a good time. Yes, the seas got a little rough. And even with all those cruises, I did manage to get a little nauseated. Shots are available in the infirmary if it is really bad. We had some great adventures. Our post holiday conversations were just a little more exciting.

No matter when you sail, there is ALWAYS a risk of bad weather. It is just part of being on the water.

Now we have TS Estelle, but they are calling for 24 hours of strengthening followed by 72 hours of weakening, so if they are correct, everything SHOULD be okay with this one, but you never know... it is a concern for any west coast cruisers, but not a big one.. they are unpredictable and others could come along any day... there are 2 systems right now they are watching as well...if anyone is concerned with hurricanes this is certainly not the time of year to cruise... good luck!

Archived