Mobile phones in Alaska?

WendyandPeter

We are sailing on the Island Princess next Saturday from Vancouver to Alaska. After the cruise have 3 weeks of touring in Alaska. Was wondering if it is worth taking the mobile phone - how much coverage is there? Our phone is tri-band so it works in the US - it is the usual GSM type rather than CDMA which is sometimes better in regional areas. We will be travelling to Denali, Fairbanks, Barrow, Tok, Dawson City, Copper Centre, Kenai and Anchorage as well as the usual ports during the first week of our one month holiday. Would appreciate any information on this.:confused:

I was on a cruisetour for that last part of July from Vancouver to Whittier, then McKinley, Denali, and Fairbanks. Coverage for my Verizon phone was spotty, but we did get service in Vancouver, Juneau, Whittier and Fairbanks. I think it was worth it to have the convenience of using my own phone to keep in touch with family.

I understand AT&T Wireless has the best network in AK (they were installing it in the mid90s when nobody else was interested in building infrastructure there). We spent a week in King Salmon (near Katmai Nat'l Park) this past June - my Verizon wireless phone had NO signal but those fishermen w/AT&T Wireless were able to get a signal in KS. In Anchorage I was able to get a signal but would've had to pay extra for a call back home so I didn't make any until our connection in Seattle when I could once again get a full "roaming" signal from Verizon Wireless. BTW, Verizon Wireless is on CDMA & AT&T Wireless is on GSM network so I suspect GSM is better supported in AK's less populated areas... if at all.

when in doubt, call your wireless company and ask them if you'll be able to get a signal in specific places like Denali, Fairbanks, Barrow, Tok, Dawson City, Copper Centre, Kenai and Anchorage just to reassure yourself.

Archived