Any Time dining question...

SoBaycruiser

Years ago I cruised on Renaissance and loved the any time dining. We recently booked a 2009 Princess cruise and I'd like someone to explain the specifics of Princess' any time dining plan. Do you have to make reservations each day? I read on one post where someone actually did that each day. That seems to defeat the purpose of eating when it's convenient. Our travel agent signed us up for early seating. Can one change during the cruise to any time dining if they don't like the designated time.

This is not a debate over which is better. I just want to know the facts so that we can choose what fits us best.

Years ago I cruised on Renaissance and loved the any time dining. We recently booked a 2009 Princess cruise and I'd like someone to explain the specifics of Princess' any time dining plan. Do you have to make reservations each day? I read on one post where someone actually did that each day. That seems to defeat the purpose of eating when it's convenient. Our travel agent signed us up for early seating. Can one change during the cruise to any time dining if they don't like the designated time.

This is not a debate over which is better. I just want to know the facts so that we can choose what fits us best.

okay, so for the dining, you should keep your first dining, the traditionals get waitlisted fast, BUT if you are on a waitlist and it doesn't get confirmed, then it will default to anytime dining, but when you get on the ship you can change ANYTIME you want to, to the anytime dining. you get the same menu in the other dining, same formal nights, everything, it's just that you get to eat anytime you want, instead of eating everynight at 6:00pm-6:30pm so it's a matter of pref. if you like the same thing everyday, everytime, you might want to go with this, if not, and you have some shore excursions booked and you don't want to work around your dinner you want your dinner to work around you, then anytime dining would probly be better for you, but you can ALWAYS change to anytime, just not the other way around. ~ for the reservations for dinner, if you know exactly what time you are going to be there, you can make reservations, it's basically so that "if" there is a wait at all, you won't be waiting, but if you're not worried about it then you just show up. reservations are the best idea if meeting someone down there for dinner at a specific time. you can also change between large or small tables as you go from night to night as well, so you two can eat together one night, then decide, ok, dinner at 7pm and we want to chat with others tonight so we'll take a large table. :) either one you pick, you will be thanking goodness that brought comfy pants...he,he,he, no dieting here.:)

Hi!

You can change from traditional to anytime dining on the ship or just tell your TA to do it for you beforehand. Some people do make reservations for anytime dining each day. We have never done that and I can recall only once when we had to wait any length of time. We just went to the bar and had a leisurely drink while people watching in the atrium. PENNY

Hi!

You can change from traditional to anytime dining on the ship or just tell your TA to do it for you beforehand. Some people do make reservations for anytime dining each day. We have never done that and I can recall only once when we had to wait any length of time. We just went to the bar and had a leisurely drink while people watching in the atrium. PENNY

Can you keep the traditional dining and go some nights to anytime?

Can you keep the traditional dining and go some nights to anytime?

No. Some people do try to "get away" with it. Basically you are keeping your own unused reservations in traditional while also taking up someone elses place in Anytime. It really is unfair to those who have anytime dining to do this.

We just got back from the Coral princess and loved the anytime dining option. We never had to wait for a table and thoroughly enjoyed sharing a table with different people every night. We were free to shedule our shore excursions without having to worry if we would be back for our seating. In our book, it is the only way to go. The specialty restaurants would be easier to get into if you have a reservation for say 7-8pm but after that there were plenty of tables....although I couldn't imagine starting the Sabitini's multi course meal at 10 pm as it lasts for 2.5 hours minimum.

Dear IB4cruise,

We prefer tables for two most of the time also...with PC dining you are better to get there early if this is your preference as there is a limited amount of tables for two...one of the problems we have had with the larger shared tables is that the service can be slower as there are so many people to take orders from and courses to serve, and we have ended up missing some of the evening entertainment...

Is it a problem obtaining seating for two? The diagram for each pc dining room shows the smallest table seats four. Also, can you reserve a specific table?

We never had a problem getting a table for two. And yes if you find a table that you like you can reserve that table.

You need to choose one or the other, either before or on the cruise. If you do it on the cruise, let the maitre d' know, so he can fill the traditional dining seats you left behind. The only reason to make reservations is if you want a specific server or table every night. We simply walked to the door of one of the two Anytime Dining Rooms. They asked if we wanted to share our meal or dine alone. Then we were seated without delay, on every night except one. The first formal night, the first dining room maitre d' said his room was full at that time, and he directed us to the second dining room, which was a little more difficult to find. When we arrived there, we were seated immediately. We loved it!

Just did Star Princess Baltic 5/22, ship was full and anytime dining worked great for us. There are 2 levels and if you couldn't get a table on one level you always could on the other around 6:15, 6:30pm

They had tables for 2 but it was always faster if you'd take whatever was available theyd ask us how many others they could put us with, we never cared.

Is it a problem obtaining seating for two? The diagram for each pc dining room shows the smallest table seats four.

We made a reservation each morning for a table for 2 that night...It was usually a table for 4 with just the 2 of us...It helps if you eat before 6:15PM or after 8:15PM.

Archived