Question about cigarettes

mudpievelour

I buy cartons onboard all the time. You may take them with you. They are cheaper in ports though than they are on the ships. St. Maarten sells my brand (Kools) for $9.00 a carton.

Don't they have a limit of how many cartons you can buy or something? Seems like I remember seeing something like that on RCCL last year..

They tell that you are limited to bringing back only one carton per person but don't check very closely. Not all brands are available so bring your own just in case. If you find your brand, buy some on the first night, smoke those during the week & buy some extra to take home with you.

If you go to St. Thomas you can bring back 5 cartons p/p duty free.....if you go to any other island you can only bring back 1 carton p/p. I don't know if they will just make you pay the duty or if they actually take away the cigarettes.

A good point above by Brenda - not all brands are available - either in the ship or in duty-free shops in ports. Mine has never been available either place...so I've never been able to save a penny.:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Yes you can take them out of the shop and to your cabin....plus thay are really cheap. I think I spent $40ish and got 2 cartons of Marlborl Light 100's and a free travel clock. What a deal!!!!!

Karen,

Just in case they get rid of the thread where they want to fight (I wish I never started that one), I thought I would send this so I would be able to contact you again. Feel free to contact me if you need to communicate.

My son smokes and I will probably buy him a carton even though I hate that he smokes. My sister just died of lung cancer Jan. 31 so I would like it if no one smoked but that won't happen. I watched her suffer for 14 weeks while I was in atlanta taking care of her

Linda

Karen,

Just in case they get rid of the thread where they want to fight (I wish I never started that one), I thought I would send this so I would be able to contact you again. Feel free to contact me if you need to communicate.

My son smokes and I will probably buy him a carton even though I hate that he smokes. My sister just died of lung cancer Jan. 31 so I would like it if no one smoked but that won't happen. I watched her suffer for 14 weeks while I was in atlanta taking care of her

Linda

I sent this to you but it didn't show up in my e mail. I set it up so I don't get e mails when those two that want to argue send me posts, so I won't be able to see if you post either.

Linda

I would pack one carton in my checked suitcase, one in a friends, one in my carry on, one in a friend's carry on, etc... I never got searched or asked so I was able to bring home more than one carton. The savings is incredible compared to New York. Now I stopped smoking so I'm saving even more :D.

I don't know if they will just make you pay the duty or if they actually take away the cigarettes.

You should claim anything over you exempt amount, which is 200 cigarettes except for St. Thomas. Anything in excess of your exemptions is subject to duty, but I have found that in many cases Customs will waive duty for small amounts over the exempt amount.

They will not take away any articles unless they are illegal.

You should claim anything over you exempt amount, which is 200 cigarettes except for St. Thomas. Anything in excess of your exemptions is subject to duty, but I have found that in many cases Customs will waive duty for small amounts over the exempt amount.

Not necessarily True. I was told that a broken carton didn't count, so realistically I could take a carton and 9 packs. That was on my first cruise and I think it came from the guy in the duty free store, so he might have been trying to sell more. Still, My wife and I did it on both Cruises and didn't have any problems getting through Customs.

when buying cigerettes in the ports becareful of what class smokes you are buying-- lots of places have class "B" ones real cheap.

they burn quickly so you really are not saving any money.

Hmmmm, then I could have brought back more. Oh well.

They do announce somewhere that anything over one carton will be confiscated. It never happened to me but that's not to say it never will happen to someone. I'm not sure if has to do with taxes or something else with the cigarettes.

Not necessarily True. I was told that a broken carton didn't count, so realistically I could take a carton and 9 packs. That was on my first cruise and I think it came from the guy in the duty free store, so he might have been trying to sell more. Still, My wife and I did it on both Cruises and didn't have any problems getting through Customs.

The regulation I quoted is correct, but whether or not customs decides to enforce it is another question ;) .

My personal feeling is that it is better to claim it, because they are not likely to go through the trouble to make you pay duty on 9 packs of cigs.

If I bought more, I would have claimed it and paid the extra duty.......but I did read somewhere that if they catch you with more cartons of ciggies, they would confiscate it. So no point in bringing back more when they might take it away. Didn't want to take that chance.

does anyone know if they sell canadian cigs as well?

Thanks

Does anyone know how many you can buy legally if you go to St. Thomas?

Karen, the two that were arguing with us go to the same threads and do the same thing (they argue). I thought they may know each other. I wonder if they believe what they say or they are just trying to get attention.

Linda

The regulation I quoted is correct, but whether or not customs decides to enforce it is another question ;) .

My personal feeling is that it is better to claim it, because they are not likely to go through the trouble to make you pay duty on 9 packs of cigs.

Didn't know you were quoting a reg so thanks for straightening me out. I always tell the customs agent what I am taking back, because it's my luck the time I don't they will want to go through my bags or something. They've never made a big deal about the spare packs, though it's usually 3 or 4 rather then the 9.

Thanks again.

By the way it is one carton for a person over the age of 21. My last cruise in March I brought back one carton per adult but the custonm agent asked me how many cartons I had a nd I told him three because that is how many adults over age 18 we had. The custom agent told us it was over age 21 for cigs. That is the federal law.

If I bought more, I would have claimed it and paid the extra duty.......but I did read somewhere that if they catch you with more cartons of ciggies, they would confiscate it. So no point in bringing back more when they might take it away. Didn't want to take that chance.

We've always brought back more than allowed...always claimed them on the customs form and never were charged a duty tax.

Archived