Traveling with toddler out of Miami

kiminva12

We will be flying down to Miami in November with our 3 year old. I was not planning on bringing her car seat to use on the plane (one more thing to stash once we get in our cabin for the week!). However, I have a friend telling me that if airport security or the police at the airport, see anyone trying to put a kid under 4 years old in a taxi without a carseat, the parent will be ticketed and the taxi driver can refuse to transport us. Does anyone know if this is true? I don't want to lug around her car seat just to go from the airport to the port, but I also don't want to be denied transportation because I don't have a car seat!

Thanks!

We had two taxis refuse us, but the porter bullied the third into taking us. He was nervous going through the check out (had to hide DS behind one of our carry-ons), but it wasn't a real problem. I agree, carrying the car seat is a huge hassle, but if you're uncomfortable, maybe just taking a base of a booster seat will help. We had planned on taking a limo, and requested a car seat in the limo, but they never answered our calls to request an earlier departure time (we are off the ship more than an hour before it was scheduled to arrive), so we ended up having to take a taxi without the car seat. :rolleyes:

Florida is really getting tough on carseat laws. I think this is a GREAT thing! I'm a freak about car safety. (My first husband was killed in a car accident. definite connection there) My 3.5 yo and 6+ yo are both in full 5 pt harness seats. There is no way I'd let them in a car without one. You could consider a rental car and use a carseat provided by them.

Archived