The Cunard Line ends with QE2

Reltco

One can argue that the REAL Cunard Line ended with it's purchase by Trafalgar House Ltd in 1971 and ultimately by Carnival in 1998 or that it has not yet ended.

However, while QM2 and QV will supposedly carry the torch, the purist will agree with me that QE2 was the last of the liners belonging to the Golden Age of TransAtlantic Liners as a direct decendant of history makers vice money makers.

It's a small potato argument in the big world scheme but we're all entitled to our opinion. Aren't we or does Trent Lott want to "fix" that too?

Bottom line: She will be missed.

Sorry about the political incursion - just having a bad day with the QE2 news.

One can argue that the REAL Cunard Line ended with it's purchase by Trafalgar House Ltd in 1971 and ultimately by Carnival in 1998 or that it has not yet ended.

However, while QM2 and QV will supposedly carry the torch, the purist will agree with me that QE2 was the last of the liners belonging to the Golden Age of TransAtlantic Liners as a direct decendant of history makers vice money makers.

It's a small potato argument in the big world scheme but we're all entitled to our opinion. Aren't we or does Trent Lott want to "fix" that too?

And she is the last of the Great Liners to have been built at the John Brown and Company Shipyard. Truly an end of a grand era......

That depends, Is Trent Lott opening the last US Shipyard building Cruise ships (Pascagoula Miss) back up?

Heck, we've gone through several Cunard ships being sold out from under our feet (Crown Jewel, I forget the other) Cunard being sold out from under us- Nothing like having the Captain's Cocktail party (when they were small intimate affairs) and having him make the announcement that the ship has just been sold, or have half your senior staff debark during your cruise so the new co could put their people in place!

BTW, I like your avatar. I have a piddling 4 hours in R-22 but the SO was a CFI rotary-wing. (I was a plane- I mean plain-old fixed wing private pilot)

I am with you on this. As far as I am concerned we are seeing the end of the grand adventure that began in 1840 with the crossing of the Britannia. The last real transatlantic express liner the world will ever see will be gone in a year, when QE2 becomes the stuffed and mounted Dodo bird of the farce that is the Dubai Disneyland. Only Carnival/Princess could pull this off: turning the last real ocean liner into a hotel, while insisting that we accept the floating hotels they have created as ocean liners.

Richard

As far as I am concerned we are seeing the end of the grand adventure that began in 1840 with the crossing of the Britannia.

The Queen is dying, unfortunately the monarchy no longer exists to provide a replacement:(

Malcolm,

Rumour has it that you were behind the recent Yorkshire floods so that they could berth the QE2 up in York........:p

Sorry guys, there's some help from on high up here.

I've just returned from walking the dog through a monsoon and find that not only does she now have webbed paws, but I appear to be growing gills.

I have to assume that this is the Almighty's plan to enable QE2 not only to sail up the River Clyde past Greenock, but even to pass Clydebank and moor in the City of Glasgow.:) I look forwar to seeing her in her new home.

David

Archived