Where to put valuables,ie S&S, ID, Cash???

scubacindy

I have been on many dive trips, and the people that I am with we are all in a group from home, and I never worry about leaving my ID, a small amount of cash, my C-card and keys on the dive boat. However, when on a cruise if I go on a snorkle boat, dive boat or even if I did the Sting Ray city I don't feel comfortable just leaving them in a tote bag on the boat.

What do most of you do??

Does anyone know of a dry bag, or even like a fanny pack type bag that could go in the water too?? Especially, when snorkling. When I dive I can put things in my BC jacket.

A friend I work with is going on a cruise, she plans on snorkling and doesn't know what to do with her things, and I am not much help.

So give suggestions please.

I just leave my stuff in my dry bag on the dive boat. Never, every had a problem. Use the usual precautions; don't take loads of cash (you shouldn't need it), only take 1 credit card, your S & S card is totally replacable.

Thanks, for the suggestions.

I too have always left mine on the boat, but like I said a coworker of mine is going on a cruise end of August and she is afraid to leave things. Wants to keep them with her.

She even asked me about her purse, which I promptly told her I never carry a purse on a dive boat, what on earth would I use it for???

I will pass on these suggestions to her.

I bought a little plastic thingy that hangs around your neck....and floats if it gets away from you. Large enough to hold money, credit cards, cruise card. It's supposed to be water-proof, but the greenbacks always get wet. I've had it so long I can't remember where I bought it...couldn't have cost more than a few bucks...maybe at REI?

I have been on many dive trips, and the people that I am with we are all in a group from home, and I never worry about leaving my ID, a small amount of cash, my C-card and keys on the dive boat. However, when on a cruise if I go on a snorkle boat, dive boat or even if I did the Sting Ray city I don't feel comfortable just leaving them in a tote bag on the boat.

What do most of you do??

Does anyone know of a dry bag, or even like a fanny pack type bag that could go in the water too?? Especially, when snorkling. When I dive I can put things in my BC jacket.

A friend I work with is going on a cruise, she plans on snorkling and doesn't know what to do with her things, and I am not much help.

So give suggestions please.

"Splashcaddy" is an excellent choice. They are offered in various sizes/shapes and they're PADI certified. Each "Splashcaddy" is supplied with two Aloksak inserts. It's a good idea to order a couple extra inserts. Nothing lasts forever:

http://www.watchfuleyedesigns.com/index.cfm?do=list&categoryid=3

http://www.watchfuleyedesigns.com/index.cfm?do=list&categoryid=1

I've used the DFP model for numerous dives over many years. I find the size convenient and it securely attaches to my vest strap. Of course, I periodically test the inserts.

I hate having more stuff on a dive than is necessary. The only 'extra' I carry is a knife when possible and my camera sometimes. I leave my stuff on the boat- the credit card company knows not to approve anything drastic bc they know where I am and where Im going. I cant imagine why anyone would want my Drivers License, or S&S card- but both are replaceable. Dont carry anything else that is really valuable. If you take money and your a girl- you can always tuck it into your swimsuit top or your swim booties before you put flippers on.

We use waterproof pouches you can tuck inside swim wear for from-the-beach snorkeling (where unattended stuff is often at risk). On dive/snorkel boats we just leave it in our bags. Of course, we don't carry wads of cash and only one credit card.

LOL -- why IS it that your dollar bills ALWAYS seem to get soggy when nothing else does? I think it's because they want us to take them to the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke!!!

We'll check on this recommended brand, but have done OK with stuff from REI too.

I guess some of you jumped in and answered and did not read all that I had written.

1-I do not carry my drivers license and S&S card or for that matter a credit card when I dive. I don't carry my car keys either.

I asked this because I don't and I have a co-worker that is going snorkeling on a cruise in August. She has never done this and has doubts about leaving things on a boat.

2nd-I know a S&S card can be replaced but how would you get back on board without one ???? and if without that you might of lost your drivers license or picture id, ???? They screen everyone now getting on and off the ship using your sail and sign cards.

I misplaced mine (later to find it in the cabin) but got a replacement at the Pursers with no problem.

Any way thanks for some of the suggestions, I have already passed them on to her to look into.

Oh, one more thing., I did the put the keys in the swim suit top thinking they were safe when I did a shore dive in Maui, when taking off the wet suit guess what fell out in the sand and was almost not found! Keys to the rental car! Took us an extra 30 minutes to find them and made us late to get home for the Luau we had reservations to.

We went to a local dive shop and asked that question a few years ago, and bought this little waterproof box that has a nylon string attached that you can attach to your suit or wrist. The box has been used on several cruises, as well as regular boating without anything getting wet. It's big enough to hold our birth certificates (folded), driver's licenses, a couple checks, credit card, cash, and everything stays safe and dry. It's about 3 x 5 and has a seal along the lid for waterproofing. I have seen these little containers at various boating places as well as dive shops. I also just found it on ebay when I searched for waterproof container. Good luck!!!

Archived