What to do in Morocco?

Dorene1

Hi

I am going to Casablanca and Tangier on the Celebrity. What ship excursions would someone suggest? I keep reading both and I dont know what to choose. I need to hear from those who went there or know what they are planning on seeing when they get there.

Dorene

Hi

I am going to Casablanca and Tangier on the Celebrity. What ship excursions would someone suggest? I keep reading both and I dont know what to choose. I need to hear from those who went there or know what they are planning on seeing when they get there.

Dorene

I have been to Casablanca but not on a ship's excursion (that's not my style). Hire a private guide to take you to see snake charmers, market area, etc. You'll see more, spend less and get more out of it. (Usually these opportunites are available as soon as you disembark. Don't miss the Maumonnia Hotel (sp?) one of the worlds GREAT hotels.

The snake charmers and the Mamounia Hotel are in Marrakesh, a few hours away from Casablanca. Marrakesh is more interesting than Casa, but while on a port stop, I wouldn't venture there with a private guide. Better to take a ship tour and be guaranteed a punctual return...don't want to miss the boat!

I missed going to Rabat on my Moroccan trip, but I have heard that it is worthwhile. My favourite city was Fez. That is also quite a distance from Casa. Essouaira was our favourite place, but I think it will be too far.

Casablanca, itself, is a large, dirty city.

If you are into eating meals off the ship, you must try a Moroccan restaurant. They are amazing. Check out Frommer and Fodor for recommendations. There is so much food, you can share.

Enjoy! Don't buy too much. The quality is questionable, believe me!

Thank you for the great info. I want to see the snake charmers and the market place. I have to admit, I would prefer to take a tour from the ship. However, I am going on the Century and was a little confused on the tours they have to offer. I know this will be my only time going to Casablanca and I want to make the very best since its truely a place I want to see. I am traveling with my husband and my sister and brother plus their spouses, and since I am the planner of this trip I want to make sure everyone is happy...

Thank You again!!!

Dorene

A private guide is a good idea - get away from the crowd and only take what is absolutley nesessary. On a MSC cruise a few years ago we opted to stay in the port and we were part of a hand full who were not pickpocketed on the whole ship!!!

Casablanca is highly overrated!

It is a large city, and many of us have been influenced by the charms of that wonderful, old movie. Not the same, I assure you.

Seeing it once is enough!

Just my opinion....

Pincus

Casablanca is highly overrated!

It is a large city, and many of us have been influenced by the charms of that wonderful, old movie. Not the same, I assure you.

Seeing it once is enough!

Just my opinion....

Pincus

Casablanca is DIRTY, SMELLY and disgusting. Sorry to say. We walked all over, looking for the "nice" area...and couldn't find it...or, if we did, it certainly was not nice by our standards. We did visit the humungous mosque, which is the only mosque non-muslims are allowed to visit. It would not be a priority on my trip. It is huge, cavernous, and not aesthetically appealing.

I would recommend a tour out of Casa to one of the other places I mentioned. We spent 3 weeks in Morocco and were not pick-pocketed. My DH never carries his wallet when travelling. I have everything (which is minimum!) in a purse that crosses my shoulders IN FRONT of me. So far, so good.

The locals do accost you every inch of the way. They are a pain and will take advantage of you if you give them a chance. That is why I recommend a ship tour.

I've not been to Morocco since Bill Clinton forgot to inhale... but, Tangier has reportedly cleaned itself up a lot since the new king ascended the throne, and it does have a fascinating history.

Casablanca has a couple million people - finding 'charm' in any city that big anywhere tends to be a lost cause...

Morocco's train service is actually pretty good (better back in the '70s than Italy or Spain) but I'd not want to deal with ship return paranoia going too far.

I'd search online for a reputable guide to get you out of the Casablanca to smaller nearby towns or villages to see local color. Both Fez and Marrakesh are too far away. Morocco can be 'intense' so be cautious in selecting a guide.

Hi

Thank you for all the opinions. I have my doubts now. I thought of it differently.........and now...........I guess............it's only a movie.......I thought of it as a Romantic place..........I need to stop watching .......Casablanca.

Dorene

Archived