Very Confused- Upgrade Problems!

noenre

We are cruising On 7/29 on the Spirit. My parents are also coming and are in a Cat AD Suite. My parents decided to try for an upgrade to an AA suite so they called NCL on Monday. 1st rep told my dad it would be $40 to upgrade to the room next door to him which was an AA. Obviously he jumped on it and said "yes!". The rep put him on hold and came back and then said "Sorry the room is already booked" She said all Cat AA's were booked on the ship.

I called back for him and the rep I spoke to told me there were Cat AA's available and it would be $3000 to upgrade. OK, now I'm wondering what the deal is and I told her what the prior rep said. She had no explanation.

I called again, got someone different who tells me that there are no Cat AAs available on the ship at all. Now we're all confused!

OK, ready for this?? Yesterday my dad got an e-mail from NCL offering him and upgrade to a Cat AA!!!!! They are offering it for $500 p/p.

What on earth is going on? I will be calling them at 9 am! I am wondering if any of these reps knows what they are talking about!

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sounds confusing to me too.

I just did a quick check online with the online agency we use and found one AA suite still listed at $1,799 pp for the 7/29 sailing of the Spirit. States that price includes port charges but not taxes, etc.

I didn't try to book this suite so it could be I'd get the same answer your family has gotten: sorry but it's already booked.

Good luck and let us know what you found out.

Dianne

Well I called and basically have to call back later. I have to speak with the woman that sent the e-mail to my father. She is handling upsells for our specific cruise.

In the meantime though, someone could book the room.

Whatever is meant to be, will be. Either way, they have a great room!

Sounds to me like Agent A wasn't paying attention when she offered $40pp. Then when she went to book it, she realized the real price and got out of it by saying "no longer available", instead of 'fessing up to her error. Just a guess.

$500pp sounds like a figure NCL would offer for the AD-AA upgrade ... it's 3 categories up at a rate of $84/pp/day, including the AA amenities , so if it's worth it to you ....

You can always counter-offer, too, at a lower price and see what they say.

Keep us posted.......

Well I called and basically have to call back later. I have to speak with the woman that sent the e-mail to my father. She is handling upsells for our specific cruise.

In the meantime though, someone could book the room.

Whatever is meant to be, will be. Either way, they have a great room!

Just guessing here....

When you called and got the $3000 quote were you talking to the upsell desk or just a general rep. The $3000 may have been a quote to move up to the AA cabin, not an upsell offered by the upsell rep. Normally the upsell desk doesn't take any incoming calls, unless they have contacted you first.

Another possibility maybe the first rep said 400, and not 40.

Ocassionally all of a certain category are pulled from the available list while they work on upsells for those cabins. I've watched the ncl.com website when certain mornings whole groups of cabins are pulled.....and then show up later in the day. I think they should have a way of looking to see if they are actually sold or just on a hold but maybe the rep didn't check further and only looked to see if they were available at the time you called.

I just spoke with my father and he sais that the 1st rep actually quoted him $29 to upgrade to an AA- that would have been a steal!!

I agree that the 1st rep probably misquoted the price and didn't want to fess up to it. We weren't speaking with an Upsell Rep, just a regular rep.

He's happy with the AD anyway. I just feel bad because this is the 1st cruise my parents have ever taken and I don't want them to get a bad impression of NCL.

I'll see what happens later on today!

Well...my father spoke to the Upsell fairy (aka Maryanne at NCL) and there was really nothing she could do for him. She just said the previous NCL reps gave him bad info and she was sorry.

He didn't take the upsell as it was another $500 pp + fees and he already spent a lot for his suite. I'm sure the AD suite he booked will be great anyway. God knows Dh and I usually go with the inside cabin and have a great time! We are rarely in our rooms!

Getting excited! 5 weeks left!:D

Archived