Private Tour Guide Help Needed-Liverno, Pisa, Florence

I'm having a problem finding a tour guide for this area. We are sailing May 2008, but I like to plan ahead.

Also, I'm getting confused between RomeinLimo, LimoinRome, & DriverinRome. I am assuming these are all diferent companies?

:confused: :confused:

So far from reading some posts, these companies have been recommended & here's what's happening:

-No reply from Paolo @ Unforgettable Tuscany-emailed 2xs

-Tuscany by Taxi doesn't make reservations until next year

-Papillion & Tuscany in My Pocket both have cancellation fees & want my credit card (which I have never had to do this with any company I've booked in the past...just don't like the idea)

-DriverinRome-emailed today

I would really like to get this tour booked & hoping for some suggestions.

We just got back from Carnival Freedom Med. Criuise. We used Italy Limousine for private tours to and from the ship and around rome. The Ammalfi Coast and Livorno/Pisa and the wine region. I can not tell you how enjoyable they made our trip. I would highly recommend them. Our contact person was Josephine and she was very helpfull. Web site is italylimousine.it:o

I can recommend Marco of Tours Around Tuscany, we used him in April.

http://www.tuscanytours.net/default.asp

He answered our e-mails promptly, and speaks good english. His website looks a bit simple, and I was doubtful, but he was prompt and professional. We used him to see Orvieto and Civita di Bagnoregio on our way from Florence to Civitivecchia. He also has reasonable prices as well.

How long have you waited for a reply? It's the busy season for them right now and they may not get back to you right away.

Well, having paid a good amount for the cruise, I can't afford, or won't pay $500 and up for any tour (private or otherwise regardless of the reviews), hotel room, or anything else in Europe. I am truly astounded at the number of people on this website that are dishing out this kind of money for private tours.

I'm looking for, and having a hard time finding a hotel under $200. I think I have found one for $208 for a twin for the night that provides a courtesy shuttle to the hotel (will wonders never cease). There are some expenses you just can't avoid, like eating and transfers, but I will see what I can see doing on my own or HoHo buses. There isn't anything in this World that I want to see bad enough to pay $500. That's a weeks salary, and I'm not going to pay it for one day, not happening.

In '98 (before the EUR) my husband and I did Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland and back into Germany in a month and we only spent $3000. Now I realize that was almost 10 years ago and prices have risen, but I'm not willing to spend at the ratio of a weeks salary for a days vacation. If I have to cancel the trip, then that's what I will do.

Hope this helps you. I also researched a lot of private tour guide companies. After reading many recommendations, we chose :

Driver In Rome for the Rome Highlights

Revelation Tours for Nice, Eze, Monaco, etc.

See Sorrento ( Marcello Maresco ) for Sorrento, Naples, Amalfi Coast

TuscanyTours ( Marco Minati ) for Florence

We are sticking with ship tours for the rest of the ports

All of these got great reviews...... yes, it does cost a little money, but we made this trip for the memories. We leave in a couple of weeks, and we are all very excited. I will post comments when I return.

Well, having paid a good amount for the cruise, I can't afford, or won't pay $500 and up for any tour (private or otherwise regardless of the reviews), hotel room, or anything else in Europe. I am truly astounded at the number of people on this website that are dishing out this kind of money for private tours.

I'm looking for, and having a hard time finding a hotel under $200. I think I have found one for $208 for a twin for the night that provides a courtesy shuttle to the hotel (will wonders never cease). There are some expenses you just can't avoid, like eating and transfers, but I will see what I can see doing on my own or HoHo buses. There isn't anything in this World that I want to see bad enough to pay $500. That's a weeks salary, and I'm not going to pay it for one day, not happening.

In '98 (before the EUR) my husband and I did Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium, Holland and back into Germany in a month and we only spent $3000. Now I realize that was almost 10 years ago and prices have risen, but I'm not willing to spend at the ratio of a weeks salary for a days vacation. If I have to cancel the trip, then that's what I will do.

We just returned from our Emerald Princess cruise that left from Barcelona and ended in Venice. In Barcelona we stayed at the Regencia Colon Hotel for around $125 - a very nice place and close to everything. The room had nice hardwood floors and the hotel staff were great. In Venice we stayed at the Hotel Abbazia - close to the train station and bus terminal so easy to get to the airport. Everything in Venice is expensive, but our rate for the hotel was about $225. I suggest you go to Tripadvisor.com to read hotel reviews. You can also click on several "check rates" buttons and see which website has the best rate. I booked one through expedia and the other one through priceline. I was not disappointed.

As far as the private tours - the rates may be $500 (or so) but if you divide that by 8 people, it is not really that bad. We booked all independent tours and we were happy with all of them. The largest one we went on had 19 people. We were so glad that we were not on one of the cruise ship buses that had 30-50 people - especially when we were driving through the towns on the Amalfi Coast. The large tour buses could not get to all of the places we were able to go.

My best advice: go to the Cruise Critic Roll Call for your cruise. We met so many great people and hooked up with several for the tours. We were not always with the same people on each of the tours.

tam308

tam308

Yes, I have been checking all the websites you have mentioned. Unfortunately if the hotel has twin beds, allows smoking and has a lift, they want over $200. Nothing in Rome or Venice seems to be in my price range for the October timeframe. I have found Atahotel Villa Pamphili about 3 km from the Vatican for $208 and they even offer a courtesy shuttle to and from the airport, and to and from the Vatican. Next year if I can't find anything in Rome more affordable, will use them as a backup. In Venice I have found the Golden Tulip Tritone over in Mestre that their rate for this year was $140 but anything can happen in over a year. I can't even get accurate quotes on hotels or airfare until after November 22, as you can't go out more than 330 days. I find it interesting that they'll book the cruise out beyond that, but not airfare or hotels.

I only plan one ship sponsored tour and that's Santorini, so we don't have to go up the cliffside on the donkeys or cable car. The rest of the time we are doing on our own, either train, HoHo bus or walking. I haven't had really great luck sharing tours, someone always wants to do what they want to do, causing discord, whereas if we are on own, we do what we want to do not have to worry about others. If you are on a ship sponsored tour, you know what you are doing before you make the reservation or you don't do it. With only 2 of us, that $500 isn't an option.

The only place I did hire a guide was in Hungary in '01 because I was told not everyone speaks English and I don't speak Hungarian. Her rates were very reasonable and it was just her and I. I made a friend and she invited me back in '05 and I stayed with her instead of at a hotel, so that was one positive trip. But I only paid her $450 for 7 days of guiding. Then I also took her and her son to dinner one night for a feast at the whopping cost of $26.00 for all three of us. Things will change there too, I'm sure, as they are scheduled to go on the EURO in 2008.

The dollar isn't doing well. I pray it will gain some strength before October '08. My husband feels it is going to continue to weaken. If it does, I may have to cancel the trip totally and find someplace in the States to visit. I just can't afford the rates they want in Europe anymore. I'm so glad I've been and explored a lot of Europe before the costs went sky high.

It depends what your priorities are -- our cruise covered a lot of the coast of Italy, and Italy was going to be a trip of a lifetime. Accordingly, we budgeted for two private tours, and we shared two other times with other people from our roll call, with good results. BTW, I found Marco of Tuscany Tours to be the most economical, and he was great.

I second going into the Roll Call to find other people to share tours. Discuss what you want to see, and agree on the same itinerary. You don't have to become best friends. If you do, that's great, but we found as long as people were easy-going and friendly, we had a great time.

Not sure if I understand your post but, we are a group (I'm in charge of planning!) so when you split up the charges it becomes reasonable. When I considered the total pp for taking public transportation, shuttle fees, and then a HOHO bus the price isn't so outrageous. Plus, I would have a lot more time for my 1 day at that port.

It depends what your priorities are -- our cruise covered a lot of the coast of Italy, and Italy was going to be a trip of a lifetime. Accordingly, we budgeted for two private tours, and we shared two other times with other people from our roll call, with good results. BTW, I found Marco of Tuscany Tours to be the most economical, and he was great.

I second going into the Roll Call to find other people to share tours. Discuss what you want to see, and agree on the same itinerary. You don't have to become best friends. If you do, that's great, but we found as long as people were easy-going and friendly, we had a great time.

thanks for the tour guide reco. Does Marco have a website? Email?

Maja,

I can understand the pricing maybe not being exhorbitant when you have a group going. There will just be two of us, therefore the trains, walking and HoHo bus is a lot more affordable.

Hope you find just what you are looking for and have a great trip!

I'm having a problem finding a tour guide for this area. We are sailing May 2008, but I like to plan ahead.

Also, I'm getting confused between RomeinLimo, LimoinRome, & DriverinRome. I am assuming these are all diferent companies?

So far from reading some posts, these companies have been recommended & here's what's happening:

-Papillion & Tuscany in My Pocket both have cancellation fees & want my credit card (which I have never had to do this with any company I've booked in the past...just don't like the idea)

We booked through Guido (email: pierguido.sarzani@email.it). Even though he was personally already booked, he found us Maurizio who did a fabulous job! Great english (and spoke loud enough so all passengers could hear) and great knowledge of the area. He was very flexible and had no problem when we decided to do Pisa first, followed by Florence. Guido responded promptly to emails and even met us along the way just to say hi and ask how we liked Maurizio (we were happy of course). Maurizio had a great personality which does make a difference (did I mention he's also handsome?:) ).

Kris

tam308

Yes, I have been checking all the websites you have mentioned. Unfortunately if the hotel has twin beds, allows smoking and has a lift, they want over $200. Nothing in Rome or Venice seems to be in my price range for the October timeframe. I have found Atahotel Villa Pamphili about 3 km from the Vatican for $208 and they even offer a courtesy shuttle to and from the airport, and to and from the Vatican. Next year if I can't find anything in Rome more affordable, will use them as a backup. In Venice I have found the Golden Tulip Tritone over in Mestre that their rate for this year was $140 but anything can happen in over a year. I can't even get accurate quotes on hotels or airfare until after November 22, as you can't go out more than 330 days. I find it interesting that they'll book the cruise out beyond that, but not airfare or hotels.

I only plan one ship sponsored tour and that's Santorini, so we don't have to go up the cliffside on the donkeys or cable car. The rest of the time we are doing on our own, either train, HoHo bus or walking. I haven't had really great luck sharing tours, someone always wants to do what they want to do, causing discord, whereas if we are on own, we do what we want to do not have to worry about others. If you are on a ship sponsored tour, you know what you are doing before you make the reservation or you don't do it. With only 2 of us, that $500 isn't an option.

The only place I did hire a guide was in Hungary in '01 because I was told not everyone speaks English and I don't speak Hungarian. Her rates were very reasonable and it was just her and I. I made a friend and she invited me back in '05 and I stayed with her instead of at a hotel, so that was one positive trip. But I only paid her $450 for 7 days of guiding. Then I also took her and her son to dinner one night for a feast at the whopping cost of $26.00 for all three of us. Things will change there too, I'm sure, as they are scheduled to go on the EURO in 2008.

The dollar isn't doing well. I pray it will gain some strength before October '08. My husband feels it is going to continue to weaken. If it does, I may have to cancel the trip totally and find someplace in the States to visit. I just can't afford the rates they want in Europe anymore. I'm so glad I've been and explored a lot of Europe before the costs went sky high.

How did you find a tour that doesn't require cable car or donkey - due to limited walking by my mom I could really use this service? Everyone I have talked to (online) said donkey or cable car only way to tour. I would be so grateful for any information.

How did you find a tour that doesn't require cable car or donkey - due to limited walking by my mom I could really use this service? Everyone I have talked to (online) said donkey or cable car only way to tour. I would be so grateful for any information.

I read on this board somewhere that if you book the ships excursion, they tender you to a different dock where the bus is parked. I sure hope that is accurate, because I suffer from acrophobia and won't be doing the climb up the crater. Do a search for Santorini and I'm sure someone will have precise info. or check with the excursion desk of your cruiseline.

thank you for prompt response will be checking with cruise line - have tried e-mailing santorini day tours for a couple of days and have no response - thanks again.

terry

Terry,

I can't figure out how to do the link, so here is the posting by Tom UK

You can also ride a donkey up (and down). Not many people report good things about that experience!

Also, if you do a ship\s excursion to Oia then you will get tendered for the start of the excursion to a different point on the island, to the small dock at Athinios. The point about this spot is that there is a road that comes down to it and coaches meet the passengers there. However, unfortunately the end of these excursions is always at Fira town (at the top of the cable car) for 'Free Time', and you have to make your own way down by cable car to the

main tender point. I suppose if you were to do an early excusion (if ine is available), then come down early, that might reduce the queues. It's actually quite possible that the longest queues will be coming down in the late afternoon - people tender ashore gradually, but everyone wants to get back at the same time, of course.

You might also want to look at this website: http://www.cruisecal.com . This will tell you how many ships there in Santorini (and all the other ports, of course) on the day you get there. If it's only Galaxy then the waits will be much shorter. If there are several ships then it will be very busy.

And this tour description is from the Princess website:

Ez Santorini Drive

A narrated scenic drive about the island offers a wealth of photo opportunities, from the island?s caldera to its black sand beach. Climb Santorini?s highest point and explore its largest town on a short guided walk.

WHAT YOU VISIT

Kamari - Today the ancient port of Thera is a large fishing village famed for its dramatic black sand beach, unique in the Greek islands.

PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES

The Mountain of Prophet Elijah - Santorini?s highest point towers 2,000-feet above the sea and offers panoramic views of the island.

Caldera Viewpoint - Santorini?s three islands form the visible rim of a caldera left by a massive eruption circa 1600 B.C. Enjoy spectacular views of the sea, the islands, and your ship.

Aghios Nektarios - This striking church sports a blue and white fa?ade with stone latticework and an octagonal cupola. There is a short stop to photograph the distinct exterior of the church.

REFRESHEMENTS

Stop at a local taverna or cafe along the way for a drink.

WHAT YOU SEE ALONG THE WAY

Transfer from the ship to Athinios via tender. Board your motorcoach and drive south across the island to Kamari. Pass picturesque small villages enjoying dramatic views of sea, land and sky. The tour returns to Athinios by motorcoach. A stop will be made on the outskirts of Fira Town before returning to the Tender port. You may opt to remain in Fira for additional sightseeing and shopping; return to the ship will be via cable car to the old port and tender back to the ship. Please bear in mind that the walk to the cable car will be over a considerable distance walking uphill over narrow cobblestoned streets.

SPECIAL NOTES

This tour ends at Athinios Port where you will be tendered back to the ship. Before returning to Athinios at the end of the tour, passengers have the option of remaining in Fira and returning to the harbor via cable car. Passengers who take the option of remaining in Fira must take into consideration that to reach the cable car, they must travel a considerable distance uphill over narrow cobblestone streets.

Some stores, tavernas and caf?s in Fira close during the months of April and November.

Good Luck!

Santorini is the one port I would do on my own. The others, especially in Italy have areas to visit that require a guide. Most, but not all, do want a credit card hold.

Also, if you are worried about discord, arrange the tour yourself, post the itinerary and end out the info so there is no question about where you are going.

I think you are way to early to book private tours. We are less than one week away from Sail time and many private guides are vieing for our business. They are all busy scurrying for summer business. You seem to have some of the right websites. Chill!

Archived