FlyerTalker ? Jet Blue

UpstateCruizer

Sorry I inadvertantly posted this under someone elses thread.

I read a reply in a recent post where you gave a buyer beware warning about this partcular airline because of it's business model. I value your imput immensely and have learned quite a bit from your responses. Are you saying that you personally avoid Jet Blue and others like them or that you prefer other airlines? We have never flown JetBlue because they've never been an option to our final destination. We have the opportnity to fly them at a reasonable rate to FLL for our August cruise. We would be on early morning flights from Syracuse to JFK then arriving in FLL somewhere around 1pm. From there we'd head to the Intercontinental in Miami. We fly in the day before and back out the day after the cruise. Is this something you'd discourage us from doing and seek other options? This airline has my husbands intrest as he's heard rave things about their planes and would like to try it but again I can easily quote the experts on this board and he'd change his mind quickly ;) Thank you again for all your input :)

I read a reply in a recent post where you gave a buyer beware warning about this partcular airline because of it's business model. I value your imput immensely and have learned quite a bit from your responses. Are you saying that you personally avoid Jet Blue and others like them or that you prefer other airlines? We have never flown JetBlue because they've never been an option to our final destination. We have the opportnity to fly them at a reasonable rate to FLL for our August cruise. We would be on early morning flights from Syracuse to JFK then arriving in FLL somewhere around 1pm. From there we'd head to the Intercontinental in Miami. We fly in the day before and back out the day after the cruise. Is this something you'd discourage us from doing and seek other options? This airline has my husbands intrest as he's heard rave things about their planes and would like to try it but again I can easily quote the experts on this board and he'd change his mind quickly ;) Thank you again for all your input :)

I personally prefer other airlines - because the others provide the service and business structure that suits MY travel patterns. I do not in ANY way mean to say that jetBlue, or Southwest, or [insert your favorite airline here] aren't appropriate for other travelers. It is that I have analyzed the options and made an informed decision. I just want all to know the "hidden costs" of their economic choices - so that they will be making choices on the total product, not just the fare.

One big rap against the LCC's is their lack of interline arrangements. If, and this is if, your flight is canceled (or serously delayed) on an LCC, you generally have to wait for the next flight on that particular carrier - with available seats. Your only other remedy is a refund, which really doesn't do you much good at that point in time. By way of example, an internet acquaintance had a mechanical on AirTran that caused a missed connection. They finally left the connecting city (ATL) 2 days later. All AirTran flights were full to their destination and they were stuck.

If you are in a city that has few flights on a LCC airline and one doesn't operate, you have few options for later flights. Especially at times of high demand. Something that all should consider.

In your case, it looks as though jetBlue (B6) has five flights from SYR to JFK, and plenty of flights to FLL once you get to New York. Although it is possible to be "stuck", there are other flights to pick up the slack. This is different than being in a location where there's just 1 or 2 flights a day. Also, you're going in the day before, so you have even more options available to you.

The B6 product is quite nice inflight, and they are working hard to keep any more egg from their faces. It is not a cr**py, cramped cattle-car where you can't wait to get off the plane.

Hopefully, that's the kind of info that you wanted. Know that you have limited "rights" under the B6 CoC, and if you are OK with that situation and consciously accept it as a "cost" of your ticket -- go ahead. As I try to remind everyone -- there is more to an airplane trip than just the price. Know the total package and then you will be a savvy and informed consumer.

Thank you for your input! Yes, that was exactly the type of info I was looking for :) In some circumstances I'd be more willing to take the attitude of being willing to take a chance but when getting to the port is the key to the entire vacation I'm much more hesitant to take risks. We have been watching flights on US Air as Ron had suggested (thanks again Ron) but after reading the negatives about them yesterday I'm starting to wonder if that's wise. It's so confusing when you have a little bit of knowledge and want to protect your options as much as possible to allow for a positive start to a vacation. With that being said is there an airline that you prefer? I see that GreatAm prefers AA because of her past experiences with them on the flights that had issues and they were eagar to make things right. I'm not looking for perfection with airlines but more so would prefer to fly on airlines that are able to fix problems when the occur instead of making headlines for the disasters they leave passengers in. I think every airline could be considered an awesome airline until that one time it happens to "us". I'm in awe of how I used to be able to fly and have the travel agent pick and chose flights/airlines etc with no questions or concerns lol. It all goes back to a little knowledge and is it really a good thing. Thank you and all of the others that post opinions on here they really do help us not so savy flyers make informed choices :)

is there an airline that you prefer?

As you might suspect, no airline is perfect 100% of the time. When making tradeoffs and informed decisions, keep in mind that within the last month, and for the third year in a row, jetBlue Airways was ranked highest in J.D. Power and Associates North America Airline Customer Satisfaction Study. Read their press release about it here. Also noteworthy is their policy of not overbooking flights. For the first 3 months of 2007, they have had only 19 involuntary denied boardings while carrying over 5 million passengers. This ranks then #1 in the top 20 US carriers. To see the unbiased data for various airlines as reported by the US Department of Transportation, click here and go to page 32.

My personal choice right now is Northwest - they give me a nice array of flight choices from my home airport, the SkyTeam arrangements with CO and DL are useful, and the FF program works for my pattern of flying.

CO has a VERY good inflight product, and only issues with the FF program keep them from being my #1 choice. DL has made a splash with customer service initiatives since bankruptcy, and I will be trying them out again this fall (after a hiatus following years of being a "Delta-holic').

For your case, I'd be looking for an airline with a reasonable amount of service from your home airport, so that there are options in case of a problem with a flight. Same with the service to the destinations that matter the most to you. FF program really isn't a big selling point to the infrequent traveler, but it might make a difference in a close decision. US will have some teething pains for another year or so, but should emerge a continually stronger competitor. I foresee significant labor issues at AA, in light of the results of this week's election at their pilot's union. There is labor resentment at UA and NW, but not quite like at AA.

My personal choice right now is Northwest

Bob Cowen says: " Northwest Airlines' web site will not necessarily give the lowest prices they offer."

Has this been your experience also?

If you get a chance can you please read my update on my travel plans? I posted the update under my original request for info on finding flights to Miami in August. I'm curious as to your response about Northwest and their lowest pricing on their website too. All these airlines and their pricing and changes in pricing was making my head spin. My first choice of flights was Northwest and second was Delta because we had good experiences with both in the past. Trying to make flights work with either of those airlines was impossible without spending a fortune on airfare.

Northwest has a "lowest price" guarantee, where they will match and refund any fare on the exact same day/flight/class of service as found on another site. Details can be found under the "fare promotions" link on the NWA website.

NW's website has sometimes missed a lower fare that I was able to "force feed" after having found the flights/times for the routing on another source. But we haven't been talking hundreds of dollars here, and these have usually been on more complex 2+ connects with a partner. And it is far better than "united.bomb". NO one site is absolutely, positively the lowest for all flights. Take that one to the bank.

Having said that....I don't obsess over finding the absolutely best fare. Perhaps that is personality, perhaps circumstance - in any case, I look at fares and when I feel that there is one I like and it fits my needs, I buy it. Now, I do go through a bunch of research and shopping and I find more than my share of bargains. But the days of having tickets widely variant from one source to another for the same flights is by and large gone. Yes, it will happen. But the internal controls on the system have made it a tighter, yet more transparent market for all.

This transparency has made it so much easier to find historic data on pricing. Properly translated, this means better budgeting on air costs associated with a cruise. Personally, I'd over-budget for air, then be happy with the result I get.

So much of what you see in pricing is pure economics at work. Most convenient departure time - price is higher. Best connections - price is higher. Why? Because demand is higher, supply is fixed, so the price rises. Other people want those same flights you found to be overpriced.

Think about a Toyota and a Lexus. Sure, you'd take the Lexus if they were the same price - but they aren't. The questions become, do I spring for the Lexus, or take the Toyota at the lower price. Choices!!

Archived