Need Opinions - looking for 2008 cruises, probably not on NCL

Alright Cruise Critic brethern, I need your opinions about cruises. We have decided to begin planning a very large family cruise next summer and are also considering lines other than NCL because of itinerary and cost. (shudder....have to dress up....) I hope this thread is not moved to another board because I would rather hear about the other lines from NCL people. If I were to ask these questions on the RCCL or HAL boards, I'm sure those CC members would be supporting their favorite line, that is why I want NCL CCer's opinions.

Like I said on another thread, my father was diagnosed with the early stages of Parkinsons just over a week ago and although he and mom are going to Alaska next month, we didn't sign up last fall because of expenses this year. (I am now kicking myself over that one....) Our family is going to try and pull this off with them having little or no knowledge until after we all book. (and we all pay to book them...)

Here are what we have narrowed it down to:

8 days on the Spirit to the Eastern Carribean. One of only two NCL choices since we don't like Bermuda and have done Alaska.

7 days on the POAm in Hawaii -- one of my favorite choices but the expense may be too much for some in our family.

The other two choices are New England & Canada. My parents have done a Canada cruise many years ago but I have not. I have always wanted to do New England/Canada, but NCL only offers them in the fall when I and the kids in the group are in school. We are looking at:

RCCL - 9 days out of New Jersey (actually very cheap) Only problem is that it leaves on July 3....yuck.

HAL - 7 days from Montreal to Boston.

I do not look forward to RCCL or HAL due the very restrictive dress codes...I only own one suit and a handful of ties. I fear the only way to get the others to go for the Spirit or POAm would be if we can find a great deal financially or special perks which would make the cost worth it.

Thanks friends for the opinions and help!

I personally would vote 8 day Spirit. But keeping in mind that this is for your folks, perhaps the HAL one would be better. It gives you the New England you want, I guess, the age demographic from what I hear about HAL would maybe suit your parents better than RCL. It is supposed to be a rather formal ship and I don't know that the entertainment is up to the lines, but you're getting a large group together, you can make your own fun!!

It's just such a nice thing that you want to do, I am sure they would appreciate anything you decide!

To assure the most family members join your planned cruise, pick the cheapest.

Here's today's fares prices for an Inside cabin (taxes and fees extra) for late next summer:

Aug 23 8 days Spirit > $949

Sat Aug 23 New York (Manhattan), NY 4:00pm

Sun Aug 24 At Sea

Mon Aug 25 At Sea

Tue Aug 26 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 11:00am

Wed Aug 27 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 1:00am

Wed Aug 27 Tortola, British V.I. 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Aug 28 Samana, Dominican Republic 9:00am 6:00pm

Fri Aug 29 At Sea

Sat Aug 30 At Sea

Sun Aug 31 New York (Manhattan), NY 8:00am

Aug 25 7 days Maasdam >$1249

Sat Aug 23 Montreal, Canada 5:00pm

Sun Aug 24 Quebec City, Canada 8:00am 5:00am

Mon Aug 25 Saguenay Fjord (Cruising) 7:00am 10:00am

Tue Aug 26 Charlottetown, Canada 11:30am 5:00pm

Wed Aug 27 Sydney, Canada 8:00am 5:00pm

Thu Aug 28 Halifax, Canada 8:00am 5:00pm

Fri Aug 29 Bar Harbor, ME 8:00am 5:00pm

Sat Aug 30 Boston, MA 7:00am

Aug 28 9 days Explorer >$899

Thu Aug 28 Bayonne, NJ 5:00pm

Fri Aug 29 At Sea

Sat Aug 30 Sydney, Canada 1:00pm 6:00pm

Sun Aug 31 Charlottetown, Canada 8:00am 3:00pm

Mon Sep 1 Saguenay River 5:00pm 8:00pm

Tue Sep 2 Quebec City, Canada 7:00am 5:00pm

Wed Sep 3 At Sea

Thu Sep 4 Halifax, Canada Noon 8:00pm

Fri Sep 5 At Sea

Sat Sep 6 Bayonne, NJ 7:00am

OR

Aug 14 9 days Explorer >$1499

Thu Aug 14 Bayonne, NJ 5:00pm

Fri Aug 15 At Sea

Sat Aug 16 King's Wharf, Bermuda 8:00am 5:00pm

Sun Aug 17 At Sea

Mon Aug 18 St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles Noon 9:00pm

Tue Aug 19 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 8:00am 6:00pm

Wed Aug 20 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am 2:00pm

Thu Aug 21 At Sea

Fri Aug 22 At Sea

Sat Aug 23 Bayonne, NJ 8:00am

Therefore, The Spirit is the cheapest Caribbean option, the Explorer is the cheapest Canada/New England option during this time period.

Of course by this time next year, fare prices may shift dramatically.

As for formal dress, NCL doesn't require formal at all, RCI and Holland America requires at least 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise, there might be more for a 9 day cruise.

I would go with what your parents would like the most as once they leave this earth you should be able to do the ones you want. So HAL is your best choice. Dress up? It's one or two nights and any old coat and tie will do fine.

You will not be alone with a coat and tie. Suit better but just a nice jacket and tie will fit in nicely with HALs newly loosened up dress code. They are not near as stiff shirt today as they were even 3 years ago. And if you don't want to even do that there is the Lido evening dinner where you can show up very casual. Don't let the dress up thing hold you back for something your parents would enjoy more. HAL's service is far superior to the others you mentioned. Don't overlook a Celebrity cruise either. Same dress code as HAL. Tuxes are very much in a minority on those 2 lines. Service up there with HAL and food maybe a tad better. Carnival is a party cruise your parents probably won't go for that. They need the elegance and superb service that HAL and Celebrity can offer for a few hundred more than the others. As far as where to go I would really let them pick that too. Flying to Hawiai might be a burdon on them. It's a long flight. Air travel not that much fun these days. Sounds like you need to make some more choices.

I would pick the date first since that is important to you not your parents. Then let the parents pick where and then pick the ships to match those 2 things. Much more narrow field to choose from but would make all happy.

PS: I forgot to add you can wear that same coat/tie both nights or on a longer cruise 3 nights. Coat and tie also works on informal/semiformal nights so it doubles up. Only you will notice. The other 2000 +/- people could care less you wore it on 3 formal nights. And all ships have cleaning service on board for a small fee. Maybe change the ties out since you got more than one of those. Change your pants color to get a different look. You are on vacation don't worry about dress code issues like that. Just do what is right and you'll be fine.

Alright Cruise Critic brethern, I need your opinions about cruises. We have decided to begin planning a very large family cruise next summer and are also considering lines other than NCL because of itinerary and cost. (shudder....have to dress up....) I hope this thread is not moved to another board because I would rather hear about the other lines from NCL people. If I were to ask these questions on the RCCL or HAL boards, I'm sure those CC members would be supporting their favorite line, that is why I want NCL CCer's opinions.

Like I said on another thread, my father was diagnosed with the early stages of Parkinsons just over a week ago and although he and mom are going to Alaska next month, we didn't sign up last fall because of expenses this year. (I am now kicking myself over that one....) Our family is going to try and pull this off with them having little or no knowledge until after we all book. (and we all pay to book them...)

8 days on the Spirit to the Eastern Carribean. One of only two NCL choices since we don't like Bermuda and have done Alaska.

Nice choice I've done the Spirit twice and it's a great ship and this is a great itinerary.

7 days on the POAm in Hawaii -- one of my favorite choices but the expense may be too much for some in our family.

My 1st choice as I just booked the POH in Oct. but expense can be an issue.

The other two choices are New England & Canada. My parents have done a Canada cruise many years ago but I have not. I have always wanted to do New England/Canada, but NCL only offers them in the fall when I and the kids in the group are in school. We are looking at:

RCCL - 9 days out of New Jersey (actually very cheap) Only problem is that it leaves on July 3....yuck.

I just booked RCCL last Friday for March 16th a 12 day cruise at a great price and great Itinerary. I love NCL but kind of looking forward to a change and doing RCCL again. July 3rd that would be great Firewroks at sea. Do they do that? I have no idea. Would make the Holiday special

I've never done Hal and don't think I ever will

I do not look forward to RCCL or HAL due the very restrictive dress codes...I only own one suit and a handful of ties. I fear the only way to get the others to go for the Spirit or POAm would be if we can find a great deal financially or special perks which would make the cost worth it.

You can't go wrong with any of them, do a vote with everyone involved and the cruise with the most wins!

You know, I was worried about HAL, but my 18 yr old son and I had a great time to Alaska on HAL. Lots of nice touches and extras not found on other lines for the general passengers (non suite guests). Even got to have room service breakfast in our stateroom on the day of disembarkation-very relaxing. Yes, the population is on the "older" side and the dress up factor is dressier. Beautiful ships.

RCCL has lots of bells and whistles (gimmicks) for the youth oriented crowds. We enjoyed our cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. More casual than HAL. Teens liked it ok, but enjoy NCL better.

Good luck organizing this special gathering! Kudos to them for raising a great, thoughtful "kid" ;) like you to do this.

Like I said on another thread, my father was diagnosed with the early stages of Parkinsons just over a week ago and although he and mom are going to Alaska next month,

Keystone...I am so sorry to hear about your dad's Parkinsons...he is in my prayers as of right now.

we didn't sign up last fall because of expenses this year.

(I am now kicking myself over that one....)

Do not look back...look forward! You made the best decision at the time.

Our family is going to try and pull this off with them having little or no knowledge until after we all book. (and we all pay to book them...)

The other two choices are New England & Canada. My parents have done a Canada cruise many years ago but I have not. I have always wanted to do New England/Canada, but NCL only offers them in the fall when I and the kids in the group are in school.

Canada/New England are beautiful cruises. We have done them twice and will do one again next fall.

Cruising the Saguenay Fjord (on one cruise) was just breathtaking. NCL brought a naturalist on board who was wonderful.

The ship even turned around at the grotto of the Blessed Mother so eveyone on the ship could see the shrine. Just beautiful and the history of the shrine is such a great story.

You must watch your daily to insure that you will be awake on time :-)

Electricon posted Aug., for that cruise on the Maasdam.

I can't help with RCCL or HAL...I'm sticking with NCL :-)

If you have several cabins...I'm sure you can call whatever line and make a deal :-)

Good luck with your decision and your planning:)

Although I can't comment on any of the ships you have chosen I can add this little tid bit.

If you have to fly after looking online for flight information call the group department of a couple of airlines. If there will be several people going this could save you a bundle. I know continental has a minimum of 10 for thier groups (We only had nine but it was cheaper to pay the group rate for 10 than to book individially). Not sure about the other lines.

Also don't worry about dressing up. You don't have to if you don't want to. You can always do the buffet and if on a Carnival ship a Polo shirt and kahki's work on formal night as well as the other nights.

Good Luck in planning this trip. I did a family vacation last year. However, I did't give anyone else a choice on ship or the ports so it made the planning much easier.

I vote for the HAL Montreal to Boston. Here's why:

First, Montreal and Boston are large international airports with a lot of traffic. So tickets will be less expensive, and routing more direct. Second, both cities offer excellent pre- and post- cruise options (either DIY or through the TA or CL). In August, Montreal is at its best, and the port is on the edge of Old Montreal, which is something to see in itself. The other ports of call are also excellent at this time of year.

I have cruised on HAL three times, and I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as dress code. They manage to create an atmosphere of laid-back sophistication. Their dress code is "suggested". A guy could easily get by with a blazer, collared shirt, and dress-down pants (like Dockers of Khakis). I would categorize RCCL and NCL as more towards the laid-back end of the spectrum, and lines like Celebrity more along the directions of stuffy-ish elegance (having cruised on them all). Don't forget, HAL really is a very Netherlands-ish cruise line, and (forgive me for painting with a broad brush) that means that they are above all practical, polite, and tolerant.

The age on the HAL ship may be a bit older, especially on the "more serious" New England itinerary.

HAL's service is far superior to the others you mentioned. Don't overlook a Celebrity cruise either. Same dress code as HAL. Tuxes are very much in a minority on those 2 lines. Service up there with HAL and food maybe a tad better.

Service on our HAL and Celebrity cruises was no different than we received on our NCL cruises. I cannot compare with RCCL or Carnival.

KeystoneCruiser, my last cruise on RCCL was an 11 day in January so older crowd type. Believe me, you have nothing to fear on the dress code. It is “Suggested” and you will see a wide range in dress, even on formal night. I would say I saw less than 10% in a tux, maybe 60% in suit and tie, with the rest in various dress from sport coats to “That ain’t even close”. I would imagine in the Summer, it might even be more lax.

Myself, I don’t do ties. I have a reason that I won’t go into here but I haven’t worn one in years. For formal nights, I wore dress slacks, a dress shirt unbuttoned at the neck, a pull over V-neck sweater, and a sports coat. I did not feel out of place nor did I see anyone even look at the way I was dressed. Ladies wore everything from gowns, to pants suits, to “It’s my vacation type”.

I hear people all the time holler about NCL dress code, but I will put up the casual dress on NCL against what I saw on RCCL, including some I saw on formal nights, and NCL fairs well in my experience.. In fact, other than a set dining time, I saw little difference between the two lines.

BTW, I enjoyed the RCCL cruise VERY much, just as I have all the NCL cruises. I just prefer Freestyle for the options and letting me set my times to do things.

To assure the most family members join your planned cruise, pick the cheapest.

I could not agree more. My family is in the very early stages of planning a short trip to Ireland in 2009 for my mother's 75th birthday. That was her request. And now the family whiners have started.

Good luck.

I could not agree more. My family is in the very early stages of planning a short trip to Ireland in 2009 for my mother's 75th birthday. That was her request. And now the family whiners have started.

Good luck.

Those who have offered the opinion to choose the most expensive cruise probably don't care if everyone from the extended family joins in the Family Reunion, which I thought the OP clearly made apparant.

I meant besides the grandparents who are to receive a special gift, ALL their children and grandchildren.

Keystone, is it possible with the school schedule for all involved to allow a Christmas cruise on the Gem for 12/20/08? I was thinking more of the Holiday aspect onboard. This would be something my family would enjoy as a family, cruising together. We have grandchildren ages 3mo.-17 years.

Maybe one/two days in NY before or after for the holiday excitement that NY provides. Far enough out to plan and close enough to be excited. :D

Sat New York City -4:00 PMSun At Sea --Mon Port Canaveral 10:00 AM9:00 PMTue Great Stirrup Cay 9:00 AM4:00 PMWed Key West 9:00 AM6:00 PMThu At Sea --Fri At Sea --Sat New York City 10:00 AM-

Just my two cents. :) ;)

Keystone, is it possible with the school schedule for all involved to allow a Christmas cruise on the Gem for 12/20/08? I was thinking more of the Holiday aspect onboard. This would be something my family would enjoy as a family, cruising together. We have grandchildren ages 3mo.-17 years.

Maybe one/two days in NY before or after for the holiday excitement that NY provides. Far enough out to plan and close enough to be excited. :D

Sat New York City -4:00 PMSun At Sea --Mon Port Canaveral 10:00 AM9:00 PMTue Great Stirrup Cay 9:00 AM4:00 PMWed Key West 9:00 AM6:00 PMThu At Sea --Fri At Sea --Sat New York City 10:00 AM-

Just my two cents. :) ;)

Due to my job at the school, there is no way that I can get away for more than a couple days during the school year, even over school breaks. In addition, the other family members are spread over 4 different school districts and in Ohio, there are no set breaks...schools break at all different times. I do appreciate the suggestion, but my parents absolutely HATED GSC and have been to Key West and didn't like that either.

To everybody else: Thanks for the many inputs. A few notes

As far as the age thing...don't let my dad hear you say that he might like an older crowd.....he doesn't consider himself old

I struck up a conversation over dinner the other night about their past cruises just to get a feel for it. By far NCL was their favorite, they say that the friendliness, cabin size and variety of ship activities that they have had during the last 5 years is second to none. They liked HAL, but considered the people and crews on those ships to be "stuffy" and "stuckup" They cannot stand Carnival or Celebrity. I don't know why on Celebrity, but mom said "Carnival was a d--- Carnival all right." (and my mom never cusses!) They have not been on Princess and they said that RCCL was their second favorite cruise line behind NCL.

We were able to find another Canada/New England cruise on RCCL on the Grandieur of the Seas, leaving on July 10 out of Norfolk. A little more than the Explorer Cruise and less than HAL, but also on a ship about the size of the Dawn/Star. Our TA is checking all of these out for us.

As far as the rest of the family, there are pushes for either one of the RCCL cruises or the Spirit. As one family member put it: "if only the Spirit was as cheap as RCCL, it would be a no brainer." We have a big family get together around the 4th and so we should iron it out then.

Somebody may want to warn the RCCL board........I may be headed there.:D

Thanks again everybody

Due to my job at the school, there is no way that I can get away for more than a couple days during the school year, even over school breaks. In addition, the other family members are spread over 4 different school districts and in Ohio, there are no set breaks...schools break at all different times. I do appreciate the suggestion, but my parents absolutely HATED GSC and have been to Key West and didn't like that either.

To everybody else: Thanks for the many inputs. A few notes

As far as the age thing...don't let my dad hear you say that he might like an older crowd.....he doesn't consider himself old

I struck up a conversation over dinner the other night about their past cruises just to get a feel for it. By far NCL was their favorite, they say that the friendliness, cabin size and variety of ship activities that they have had during the last 5 years is second to none. They liked HAL, but considered the people and crews on those ships to be "stuffy" and "stuckup" They cannot stand Carnival or Celebrity. I don't know why on Celebrity, but mom said "Carnival was a d--- Carnival all right." (and my mom never cusses!) They have not been on Princess and they said that RCCL was their second favorite cruise line behind NCL.

We were able to find another Canada/New England cruise on RCCL on the Grandieur of the Seas, leaving on July 10 out of Norfolk. A little more than the Explorer Cruise and less than HAL, but also on a ship about the size of the Dawn/Star. Our TA is checking all of these out for us.

As far as the rest of the family, there are pushes for either one of the RCCL cruises or the Spirit. As one family member put it: "if only the Spirit was as cheap as RCCL, it would be a no brainer." We have a big family get together around the 4th and so we should iron it out then.

Somebody may want to warn the RCCL board........I may be headed there.:D

Thanks again everybody

Enjoy whichever you choose. Make memories to last a lifetime. Remember to record everything, even the planning for the cruise and make dvd's for all the future generations. :)

MY family (25 total) took a family cruise in Jan. on RCCL. It was a blast. The only negative we had to leave out of PR!! If, it was atrip out of NYC it would have been perfect. My Granddaughter was the party planner and got us all special T-shirts with our logo (SuperFunFamily). With a large party you should be able to get some perks from your TA. Have a great time as you'll relive the moment evertime you view the photos. Just remember there will have to be an "InCharge" person as there will be a lot of little decision to make.

Regards, Jack

Wow Canada/New England. I did this cruise back in 1994 on the old Royal Princess. Absolutely loved it. Hope to do it again soon. HAL, NCL, RCCL or Princess would be my choices. And do you know what, people just don't dress formally anymore. Last year I was on the HAL Zuiderdam to Alaska with 2 formal nights. I saw more casual clothes than formal ones. I guess people just don't want to dress up anymore.

MY family (25 total) took a family cruise in Jan. on RCCL. It was a blast. The only negative we had to leave out of PR!! If, it was atrip out of NYC it would have been perfect. My Granddaughter was the party planner and got us all special T-shirts with our logo (SuperFunFamily). With a large party you should be able to get some perks from your TA. Have a great time as you'll relive the moment evertime you view the photos. Just remember there will have to be an "InCharge" person as there will be a lot of little decision to make.

Regards, Jack

Question for you - is the San Juan airport still awful with no seating pre-security check and LONG lines? I ask because we are considering a Princess cruise from PR (great itinerary!) BUT our last experience at the San Juan airport was bad enought that I don't care to repeat it.

Question for you - is the San Juan airport still awful with no seating pre-security check and LONG lines? I ask because we are considering a Princess cruise from PR (great itinerary!) BUT our last experience at the San Juan airport was bad enought that I don't care to repeat it.

As of the last time I was there, still no seating pre-screen. A security guy told me that when they had seats, they had too much trouble with vagrants. Don't know if that is true but what he told me. No seating outside either.

The trick to avoid the long lines and madhouse is not to fly in or out on the weekend when several ships turnover. Then, it is a madhouse. Weekdays are much more pleasant. I now use pre and post stays in hotels to go in and out during the week, especially out. Coming in during the weekends is not quite so bad.

Archived