1st time cruiser (Alaska)

Ashie

Hi everyone. What a great board! I'm so excited that we've finally made the decision to try a cruise - only 5 days to see how we like it... leaving on the Ryndam on Sept 24 from Vancouver - looking for some suggestions on what to pack for daywear. Does anyone know how cold it might get at that time in Sept? Thought we'd take our ski stuff - fleece jackets and k-ways, plus t-shirts, slacks, hiking boots. Have evening stuff all worked out but concerned about the days. Do you think we'd need shorts at that time of year? And what do people wear to dinner when it's not semi or formal? Thanks for any help you can give.[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

hi ashie and welcome

tell us what ship you will be on and the route you are taking so we can help you out better. also go the alaska thread here and you will get tons of helpful tips.

you have made a good choice in going to alaska. it is wonderful and you are going to have a great time. as far as clothes to take all i can tell you is what i took last sept to glacier bay for the 7 day roundtrip from vancouver. i had a sweatshirt, unlined nylon windbreaker, tee shirts, a pair of sweat pants and jeans. i did not need a heavier coat or hiking boots. just tennies.

i dont know how far up north you are going or if you are planning on hiking in the glaciers. if you are planning on that i might take the boots. lightweight gloves and maybe a headband for the deck at night or in the glacier bay days can come in handy. i am from the midwest so i am used a little chilly temp. i thought the weather was great for the port days. mid 60's. i was very comfortable in my sweatshirt and would have hated to lug around a heavy coat. a pair of shorts thrown in the bag for on the ship might not hurt. and take a swim suite for the pool.

for non formal nights a nice pair of pants or skirt with a top or a sunday dress will be fine. dont stress over the clothes to take and dont break the bank buying tons of new things. if you have nice looking non tatered or torn things in your closet you will be fine.

have a wonderful time and remember a couple of the golden rules----

fly in the day before to relax and not stress about missing the ship if you have airport problems getting to the port city the same day you sail

take half the clothes and twice the money

have a wonderful time and i know this will not be your last cruise. once you go you are hooked :D .

Archived