Any Info on SCUBA certification on ship...

TNT1827

Hi Everyone..

I was thinking of getting my son certified on our upcoming cruise on the Mariner. Was wondering if anyone has experience with this...how long it takes, how many and where do they do the checkout dives? Is it a good program etc....would appreciate any information...

Thanks in advance...

Ted

You need time to really KNOW basics by heart. You wouldnt want to get down there and have your reg knocked out of your mouth by a fin or something. Would you remember that your backup reg can be reached by a 'sweeping motion' on your right side? Or would you get nervous and bolt to the surface? What if your mask fills up with water? Can you comforably clear it without ascending?

Take dive classes at home before you cruise.

Royal Caribbean offers SeaTrek for their dive education.

I think the best way to get certified while on a cruise is to do a referal. That is where you do the school work and pools dives at home with your Local Dive Shop. They give you a Referal letter which you take with you on the cruise. Then you do the open want checkout dives while on the cruise.

Hi All...

I understand the drawbacks to a short course. I taught scuba for 7 years. My son already has the skills, just needs to get the card. I was looking for more information about how the nitty gritty details work. But thanks for your responses...

Ted

Hi All...

I understand the drawbacks to a short course. I taught scuba for 7 years. My son already has the skills, just needs to get the card. I was looking for more information about how the nitty gritty details work. But thanks for your responses...

Ted

Did you check the link I posted? I realize that it didn't provide a huge amount of information. Maybe you should consider contacting RCI directly. If you go thru the cruise line, they do the check out dives at two of the islands during the cruise. I believe that there is an instructor onboard who coordinates things with the on-island dive operators.

If you want to arrange your own open water check out dives, you can do that if want. You just need to find dive operators at 2 of the islands on your cruise.

I was PADI open water certified about 5 years ago on Princess. My daughter did it the same way two years later. I don’t know if RCI works the same, but both of us had a great experience. Here is a summary.

Well in advance of the cruise, we received the PADI book and video (my daughter used my video when she took the course). I read the book and did some pre work before the cruise. The first two days were at sea. Mornings were classroom work and afternoons took care of the pool requirements. You spend two long days. I was in a class of three and my daughter was in a class of two. Both of our instructors were Master Scuba Diver Trainers with worldwide experience. We got a lot of personal attention.

The next two days were port days. This is where we did the four open water dives. Two each day. The first day, the ship’s dive tour boat dropped us off at a dive barge and picked us up. The second day, we went with the dive tour. After completing the necessary skills, we had free time on the reef and wreck.

The course was very inexpensive (about $300-$350) and included the books, videos, dives and all rental equipment. My daughter had brand new equipment and mine was less than a year old.

I have now logged almost 100 dives and I felt the course prepared me well. One caveat is all of my dives have been in warm clear water and that is the only type of diving I ever plan on doing.

Good Luck.

My boyfriend & I will also be cruising on the Mariner in August. :D I have my advanced certification through PADI and can't wait for the dive excursions. However, my boyfriend who is also certified hasn't been diving in several years. We're hoping that there's a refresher course available for him on board before we get to any islands. Does anyone have information on this for us?

Thanks!

My boyfriend & I will also be cruising on the Mariner in August. :D I have my advanced certification through PADI and can't wait for the dive excursions. However, my boyfriend who is also certified hasn't been diving in several years. We're hoping that there's a refresher course available for him on board before we get to any islands. Does anyone have information on this for us?

Thanks!

From the link I posted above:

Scuba Tune-Up

Been a while since your last dive? Refresh your knowledge and skills at sea with your SeaTrek Instructors. Even if you have made a dive recently, this course will boost your confidence and enjoyment.

$49 USD per person.

I was considering doing this on our upcoming Europe trip but with all of the action happening in ports, I don't think I'd want to blow off a port day diving.

I think I'll save this until a Carrib or Mexican cruise...

Opinions?

NB

I was considering doing this on our upcoming Europe trip but with all of the action happening in ports, I don't think I'd want to blow off a port day diving.

I think I'll save this until a Carrib or Mexican cruise...

Opinions?

NB

Do they even offer it on an European cruise?

Archived