Your top picks. Which cruise ship(s) for 2.5 and 5 yr. old?

Mammaof2girls

First time cruiser here. We have 2 daughters (2 1/2 yrs. and 5 yrs.) and would like to take our first cruise. Which were/are your personal favorite ship(s) if you took along young children like we have, and why did you like it? Would like to hear. Thanks! :D Also, if you went on a cruise ship that you DIDN'T like and you took young children, would also like to hear about that as well, and why you DIDN'T like it.

Depends on how old your littlest will be when you cruise - Carnival's kids' program starts at 2, where most of the others start at 3. I think NCL also accepts 2 year olds, but someone else will know better. Princess accepts 3 year olds whether or not they're potty trained, and RCCL accepts 3 year-old only if they're potty trained.

With those parameters in mind, I choose based on ports/prices, because we have fun no matter what ship we're on. I prefer Princess for myself, but we went on Carnival last time so my 2 year olds could participate in the kids' program. Next year it's back to Princess. We travel out of our home port so we don't have to deal with flights or bringing car seats.

Best,

Mia

Depends on how old your littlest will be when you cruise - Carnival's kids' program starts at 2' date=' where most of the others start at 3. I think NCL also accepts 2 year olds, but someone else will know better. Princess accepts 3 year olds whether or not they're potty trained, and RCCL accepts 3 year-old only if they're potty trained.

With those parameters in mind, I choose based on ports/prices, because we have fun no matter what ship we're on. I prefer Princess for myself, but we went on Carnival last time so my 2 year olds could participate in the kids' program. Next year it's back to Princess. We travel out of our home port so we don't have to deal with flights or bringing car seats.

[/quote']

Thanks Mia, for your response. :)

IF, and that's IF, we decide to go on a cruise in Sept/Oct. (when we normally go on our yearly vacation) my youngest will still be 2. She turns 3 in Nov. so she'll be just shy of 3 yrs old. If we change our mind due to the 'high peak hurricane season' and not go in Sept/Oct, then she'll be 3 yrs. old already if we decide to go in November.

Hmn....yea, potty training WILL be a problem IF we go w/ a cruise line that she has to be potty trained for the kids camp/programs. We are no where near that point of being potty trained. hehe I did read that Norwegian gives out beepers to the parents for diaper changes and such...which I think seemed like a good idea.

I plan on traveling out of our home ports as well. Skip the whole air thing. :)

So far I'm hearing lots of positives about the Princess Cruise line. I think I may add that on my list to learn more about. Thanks so much for your input, Mia. :)

Since you're from NJ, I'd suggest trying to find something that sails out of NYC or NJ. Nothing beats not having to fly, especially with little ones! I just returned from an 8 day on the NCL Spirit out of NY with my 14 mo DD and 4 yo DS. We had a GREAT time!!!! I've got a review on this board if you'd like more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=572026

NCL accepts 2 yo's and they don't need to be potty trained. Two other family friendly ships that leave from NY are the NCL Dawn and the Carnival Miracle. Good luck choosing!!!! Keep us posted and let us know if you have anymore questions. You've definitely come to the right place:)

~Kerry~

Since you're from NJ, I'd suggest trying to find something that sails out of NYC or NJ. Nothing beats not having to fly, especially with little ones! I just returned from an 8 day on the NCL Spirit out of NY with my 14 mo DD and 4 yo DS. We had a GREAT time!!!! I've got a review on this board if you'd like more info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=572026

NCL accepts 2 yo's and they don't need to be potty trained. Two other family friendly ships that leave from NY are the NCL Dawn and the Carnival Miracle. Good luck choosing!!!! Keep us posted and let us know if you have anymore questions. You've definitely come to the right place:)

Kerry,

Thanks so much for that info! (where's that *thumbs up* smilie?! hehe)

Very true, my next 'homework' research was to find out exactly which ships sail out of NY and/or Hoboken, NJ. Good to know about the other family friendly ships you mentioned that sail out of there. Actually, a friend of mine is going on the NCL Dawn this Saturday out of NY and she has 2 little ones like me. So I can't wait to get her take on it. :) I will certainly check out the link of your review as well! Thanks alot Kerry!

As for questions, ....I've posted several so far and I KNOW I'll think of more! hehe (all answers has been such a great help!) I'm such a newbie! And I'm so glad I found this place! :D

• 3 weeks later...

We cruised NCL Star last summer in Alaska, and loved it. Kids program was great, as was the heated wading pool, ice cream bar, and anytime dining. Our 2+ year old was potty trained, so that wasn't an issue for us. The kids club does issue beepers for tose still in diapers, so you will need to go up and change them. Check out their website for more up to date info though.

We've travelled on Disney this last December, and it was incredible as well. Obviously very kid focused, and just wonderful as well.

I also just booked Golden Princess for another summer Alaska cruise, and I have heard nothing but good things about them. Their kids club age starts at 3, which was not a problem this year :). For us, the 3-7 grouping meant my two DD could be together, which was important for them.

The upshot seems to be that many of the larger lines have worked hard to cater to families, so just look around a bit for the age/restrictions that fit your needs, and go for it. Any day on a cruise ship is a gooooooooood day.

Archived