Please tell me about Rarotonga...

joyride

I have so far left this port open, since it seems to be 50/50 if we will even actually make it there. But, if we do - what's good?

We were thinking renting a car would be fun, but it seems expensive for the car and gas, and it seems that the bus is frequent and an easy way to go.

I would basically like to see the place, maybe snorkel or swim and get some photo opportunities. For those of you who did the bus, how was it? What is the cost? Would you recommend this over renting a car?

Any other "Must see or do" suggestions?

we've just come back from the PG 14 trip which took in Rarotonga. We caught the bus, it was NZD 4 I think (or USD 4 - like for like on the bus). on every day except sunday, the buses run both clockwise and anticlockwise pretty frequently (every 20 mins or so) but on sundays only in one direction and once an hour. its a nice trip around the island, very easy.

the best snorkelling is to be had near the Moana Sands hotel, or Fruits of Rarotonga shop where you can snorkel at all states of the tide and there is more to see. Just ask the driver where to get off, altho the Moana Sands hotel is pretty "motel" like and obvious.

there is also horse riding that I read about but we didn't have the chance to do - there is another thread about it on here somewhere if its of interest, its up near the Rarotongan Beach Resort and you get to ride in the sea apparently.

some friends of ours rented a taxi van for the day and had some issues on return to the dock regarding the price, so if you go this route make sure that you are VERY clear about what you are going to pay and what you want the driver to do.

hope this helps,

Roz

Hi - We have been to Raro 3 times. We always rent scooters to get around the island and stop at the Fruits of Raro for snorkelling. You really don't need a car. The buses are frequent and reliable too.

As for rentals being expensive, remember they are quoting in NZ dollars so it will be about 1/2 what they quote.

We love Raro, the people are wonderful. If you are there on a Sunday, be sure to attend a church service. The singing is out of this world. I don't know how the roof stays on the church. Make sure you are appropriately dressed though. No tank tops or shorts and ladies should wear a hat.

A couple of years ago, we were fortunate to make it to Rarotonga. Once we tendered off the ship, we walked a couple of blocks to a car rental agency(I can't remember which one) on the main street and rented a red convertible Mazda Miata. We had a great time, driving around the island, stopping at different beaches, driving up in to the hills and looking down, at the gorgeous views of the water. We met and talked to a few of the Rarotongan's along the way and they were so friendly. Renting a car is a great way to see the island, as you can do it on your own time. We've rented car's on every one of the islands, on the cruise(4 cruises to Tahiti) we'd rather do that, then a land tour(except the 4x4) at our own leisurely pace. Have a great trip to paradise!

Joyride, I just went back to some of my older posts from a couple of years ago. The car rental we went to in Rarotonga, was Budget. It's next door to the police station, where my husband got his Rarotongan driver's license(he still claims, it's one of his all time favorite souveiners). It only took 10 minutes or so to get the license and we were on our way.

Archived