Baddeck, Nova Scotia

We are booked on the Norwegian Dawn 9/13. We have a stop in Sydney, NS and we are planning on renting a car and driving to Baddeck and do some scenic driving around the Bras D'or Lakes (sorry about my spelling). Has anyone done this? We are not interested in an organized tour, as my husband and I like to do our own thing. We don't really have an interest in seeing Louisbourg either. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Beth

We are booked on the Norwegian Dawn 9/13. We have a stop in Sydney, NS and we are planning on renting a car and driving to Baddeck and do some scenic driving around the Bras D'or Lakes (sorry about my spelling). Has anyone done this? We are not interested in an organized tour, as my husband and I like to do our own thing. We don't really have an interest in seeing Louisbourg either. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks,

Beth

Baddeck is a lovely little town. It was the summer home of Alexander Graham Bell and his home is now a museum displaying many of his inventions. He developed the hydrofoil right there on the Bras D'Or Lakes. (Your spelling was right on) There are also some nice gift stores in Baddeck and the scenery on the drive from Sydney is quite beautiful.

Baddeck is about an hour drive an it is nice country to see. Baddeck is small town with some nice shops and a couple of restaurants. As you come down Kelly's Mountain on left side you will see the Gaelic College which has events during summer and is also a nice stop.

Depending on the amount of time you have you can drive around the lake ion about three hours. This would give you a great view of the whole area.

That sounds like a great way to spend the day. We will also be on this sailing and are still debating how we will spend the day. Have you checked the Roll Call for the Dawn 9-13?

Are the rental car offices close to where the ships dock? We're cruising Princess in September and are thinking of renting a car too in Sydney. Just don't know how easy they are to pick up.

If you have a whole day, and the weather is nice,... I would think about a trip around the Cabot Trail,... scenery is fabulous.

A day trip around the cabot trail is a very lon drive on a highway with lots of hills and corners, so it is hard to drive any faster.

You would not be able to go around the entire Cabot Trail in the time a cruise ship is docked, however, you could do part of the Trail. I would suggest that the 1 1/2 hour drive to Ingonish would be well worth the drive. Beautiful scenery, award winning golf course and wonderful beaches. It's my personal favorite spot on Cape Breton Island.

• 1 month later...

We will be going to Sydney on a Holland America Maasdam on Wednesday, August 29, 2007. We are 3 couples and would like to take a boat cruise on Cape Breton Island with the tour "Amoeba Sailing Tours". We need to get from Sydney to Baddeck. I spoke to someone at Amoeba and he suggested a taxi. Is that the cheapest transportation for 6 people?

Any suggestions?

Cathy

We will be going to Sydney on a Holland America Maasdam on Wednesday, August 29, 2007. We are 3 couples and would like to take a boat cruise on Cape Breton Island with the tour "Amoeba Sailing Tours". We need to get from Sydney to Baddeck. I spoke to someone at Amoeba and he suggested a taxi. Is that the cheapest transportation for 6 people?

Any suggestions?

Cathy

Rent a car. It will likely be cheaper and quiker. I would think it is a 45 minute to an hour drive.

NOSMOTHJ:

No one in our group wants to take the responsibility of driving. Anyone know of any private taxi drivers that do a tour to Cabot Trail or to Baddeck from Sydney? Trying not to use the ship excursions. They are expensive and too many people on a tour bus.

We found one in Halifax through this site. Highly recommended.

Thanks everyone for your information.

Archived