Pisa, Florence & Tuscany area..doable?

Our ship will be in port 7am-8pm. We'll be docked in Liverno. I'd like to stop at the leaning tower, briefly (not planning on climbing), spend some time in Florence & see David (will have reservations made beforehand) and drive through Tuscany with time allowed for lunch. Is this doable? Not sure of distances. We are going to hire a driver.

Our ship will be in port 7am-8pm. We'll be docked in Liverno. I'd like to stop at the leaning tower, briefly (not planning on climbing), spend some time in Florence & see David (will have reservations made beforehand) and drive through Tuscany with time allowed for lunch. Is this doable? Not sure of distances. We are going to hire a driver.

When someone asks if something is doable I always say yes it is "doable",but it depends on how much you want to "see" and enjoy vs doable.

You can drive/look at Pisa then into Florence and if all you want to see in Florence is David and nothing else then you can leave for the Tuscany area and then depending on where you want to go in the area,and how much you again want to see stop for luncheon etc.then doable,but hurried IMHO.I would spend the time in Florence if you have never been and save Tuscany for another time as there is a lot to see and do there,but of course it is all up to you.There is a lot of info on this board re Tuscany so you could do some research and see if it fills your needs or save it for anothere trip.Just my thoughts.

We are going to be in Florence on a Monday is it worth it or should me concentrate on Tuscany

Yes, it is worth it if you have never been to Florence.Things are open on Monday..not all the museums,but a lot,and there is a lot more to Florence than just museums....but it is UP to you.City of Florence or Countryside in Tuscany.

I will again take the opportunity to give my support to Cberge's comments. This is particularly true regarding the Pisa, Florence, Tuscany question. We have literally spent weeks driving through Tuscany (its actually a very large region) so when I hear "Tuscany in a day" it makes me smile,,, and also makes me want to be back in Tuscany for a few more weeks (Umbria is also very nice). When Maja mentions "drive through Tuscany" you must keep in mind that the entire trip (Livorno to Pisa, Pisa to Florence and back to the ship) is driving through Tuscany. The Pisa - Florence part is a great port day, but any time you want to spend doing additional driving is just going to reduce your time in Florence. If you are comfortable rushing through Florence in 2 hours than you would probably have time to head south to San Gimignano and back to Livorno on some of the back roads. But, its hard to ever recommend to anyone that they cut short their time in Florence. It does come down to the "If its Tuesday it must be Belgium" syndrome...which is that some folks want to see everything in a day...but doing so means they actually see very very little.

Hank

I will again take the opportunity to give my support to Cberge's comments. This is particularly true regarding the Pisa, Florence, Tuscany question. We have literally spent weeks driving through Tuscany (its actually a very large region) so when I hear "Tuscany in a day" it makes me smile,,, and also makes me want to be back in Tuscany for a few more weeks (Umbria is also very nice). When Maja mentions "drive through Tuscany" you must keep in mind that the entire trip (Livorno to Pisa, Pisa to Florence and back to the ship) is driving through Tuscany. The Pisa - Florence part is a great port day, but any time you want to spend doing additional driving is just going to reduce your time in Florence. If you are comfortable rushing through Florence in 2 hours than you would probably have time to head south to San Gimignano and back to Livorno on some of the back roads. But, its hard to ever recommend to anyone that they cut short their time in Florence. It does come down to the "If its Tuesday it must be Belgium" syndrome...which is that some folks want to see everything in a day...but doing so means they actually see very very little.

Hank

I should have been clearer with my question. I actually don't want to see it all....I've learned from many years of cruising that less is better. What is confusing me is that I've read so many times on these boards NOT to skip Florence, even on a Monday, so I felt almost compelled to include a stop here! Our ship will be in Liverno on a Monday & it's also a National Holiday. We weren't planning on visiting the museums in Florence, (not our thing) just to see David, which will be closed, the bridge & walk around. I've read lots of your posts & see you are very familiar with this area. All I've got is little tidbits I gather from the internet. The result is lots of confusion of how I want to spend my day...too many places...too little time.

I've read a little about Siena, San G, Chianti & Lucca. They all sound beautiful, but I would love more information from your travels. Can you tell me what each has to offer that distinguishes one from another? (if anything?) Distances? I would love to be able to narrow down our choices. We really prefer just relaxing & getting a feel of the areas we visit by wandering around, shopping in outdoor markets & people watching from an outdoor cafe in a plaza. We would also really enjoy having lunch somewhere outdoors with a great view. I think that once I have a better idea of each town, I can then determine our itinerary based on what we enjoy doing. This is why I start planning a year ahead!!!!!!

I should have been clearer with my question. I actually don't want to see it all....I've learned from many years of cruising that less is better. What is confusing me is that I've read so many times on these boards NOT to skip Florence, even on a Monday, so I felt almost compelled to include a stop here! Our ship will be in Liverno on a Monday & it's also a National Holiday. We weren't planning on visiting the museums in Florence, (not our thing) just to see David, which will be closed, the bridge & walk around. I've read lots of your posts & see you are very familiar with this area. All I've got is little tidbits I gather from the internet. The result is lots of confusion of how I want to spend my day...too many places...too little time.

I've read a little about Siena, San G, Chianti & Lucca. They all sound beautiful, but I would love more information from your travels. Can you tell me what each has to offer that distinguishes one from another? (if anything?) Distances? I would love to be able to narrow down our choices. We really prefer just relaxing & getting a feel of the areas we visit by wandering around, shopping in outdoor markets & people watching from an outdoor cafe in a plaza. We would also really enjoy having lunch somewhere outdoors with a great view. I think that once I have a better idea of each town, I can then determine our itinerary based on what we enjoy doing. This is why I start planning a year ahead!!!!!!

I am not Hank,but hopefully he will see this an give you a great reply.I am going to give you my take on your post..Skip Florence...go back another time..do Pisa then too. David will be there is all his glory and to me it's not worth going in for just to see him(sorry to anyone who may disagree)Go to Siena and spend the day..plain and simple.Since your comment about relaxing and getting the feel for the area...this IMHO would be it.Love that place.Great places to eat...small shops..plenty to see nad great for people watching.If you really wanted to do 2 places then add in SG,bu that could be another trip as well and then spend a week in the Tuscany area!! Enjoy whatever you choose to do.

Geez, This is really getting old that I have to keep agreeing with cberge. Yes, David is nice, the Academia is a so-so museum otherwise, the Ufizzi is very nice, etc etc etc. On the other hand, if you were going to New York City for only a day, and its your first visit, would you spend your day just going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim, Museum of Natural History, etc. No, most first time visitors to NYC walk down 5th Avenue, stop at Rockefeller Center, window shop, etc. On our first visit to Florence (many years ago) we went to the Academia, Ufizzi, etc etc. On subsequent visits we never returned to these museums, but began to enjoy the real Florence which is its architecture, walking along the Arno, eating gelati, having a long lunch in a well-placed outdoor care, browsing at the flea markets, etc etc. Florence is like a fine wine,,, it needs to be savored (I know this sounds pompous). As to the question about Mondays, yes, this is a very valid issue. Mondays can be a problem almost anywhere in Italy, particularly in the morning. Many shops (and restaurants) do not open on Mondays or they choose to open late. Many cities have tried to deal with the Monday issue by having some museums open on Monday (these will usually than close on Tuesday). But, Florence is better on Mondays than many places because Florence is always "jumping" with tourists. As to David (my wife thinks David is amazing) there is also a very good copy at the Piazza della Signoria that you can admire from a nearby cafe without waiting in line, paying admission fees etc (I know you want to see the original). Florence is simply one of the most magnificent cities on earth..with or without David. As to the other places, keep in mind that Monday in Florence is also Monday in the rest of Italy. If you have never been to Florence, this is where you should spend your first visit to Livorno. On subsequent trips you can think about exploring Tuscany and its many charming towns, villages, and the countryside. As to Cberge's recommendation for Siena (my wife's patron saint is in that town) I will finally get to disagree. There is no way I would pass-up Florence (assuming you have never been to the city) in favor of Siena. And getting to Florence on your own is quite easy on the train, but Siena either takes a lot longer on the train, or you need to rent a car..hire a driver,,,etc. For a 2nd trip (having seen Florence) I would recommend Siena and San Gimignano...but again you need to do that with a car/driver or rental car..or tour.

Hank

Hank,I knew you would reply..sorry you have to agree with me,and disagree as well in the same reply...boo hoo.:D

The reason I said skip Florence to the OP was it just seemed in her post it was David she wanted to see and in my first reply I said to go to Florence if they/she had never been as there is so much more to Florence than David(his feet are huge),Anyway,if this was all why not skip it and go to Tuscany and then go to Florence when she has the time to really enjoy the city.I have not figured out what it is about Monday's in Florence and other cities as well...one would think they shut down when there is just so much to see and do besides the usual sights,but it just may be the way I travel,and I should not impose it on other's.Sometimes when I post I try to be the voice of reason.

To the OP...this is YOUR trip...no matter what you choose to do and see I sure hope you have a great time.

Archived