check-in

jlw016

Me and my wife are sailing on our first cruise in July and was wondering since the last names on my wifes bc and drivers liscense are different will she need to bring her marrige(sp?) liscenses to prove the name change, even though her maiden name is listed as her middle name on her drivers liscense?

I have heard both yes and no answers to this. My advice is to bring it. My wife and I traveled to Jamaica shortly after we were married, didn't have passports yet. Used drivers license and birth certificate and the Jamaican immigration official asked for the marriage certificate. So you may be asked for it, you may not be, but to be on the safe side take it with you.

Prior to acquiring a passport, I always cruised with my driver's license and birth certificate - my license had my married name and it was never questioned.

If you want to be on the safe side, then take along the marriage certificate - it won't hurt and you can keep it locked in your safe.

Have a fabulous FIRST cruise, but be prepared to get hooked on cruising - look how many thousands of us on this board have been bitten by the cruise bug - it's just the best vacation! :)

I think it's pretty much understood that MOST women don't have the same last name as the one on their birth certificate. Actually, I've never heard of this being a problem....and I've been on the boards for a long time.:)

I have now done 50 cruises and not once have I ever been asked for either my marriage license or my divorce decree. Everyone knows that a vast majority of women won't have the same last name as they did the day they were born. The ONLY times you need a marriage license is if you're cruising as a married couple and you're underage, or if you're newly married and the name on your cruise documents is different than on your passport or photo ID, if you're using a birth certificate rather than a passport. As long as the name on the cruise documents is the same as your photo ID, be it a passport or driver's license, there's no problem.

BTW, things are different when you're on a land vacation as opposed to a cruise---and Jamaican officials are some of the worst in terms of attitude. I've found that some local officals at airports have a Napoleon complex and think that just because they wear a uniform, they can do as they please. But when you're on a cruise, the people who check you in don't bother asking for marriage license.

Archived