Horseback Riding Excursion in Ocho Rios

ali6879

Ever since the incident with the Conquest, I've really been debating about this excursion. I know all the arguments for and against the port....I guess what I'm wondering is how this particular excursion is in terms of feeling safe. Is it in an area that we should be ok? DD10 is very excited about this and I hate to cancel it but I also don't want to risk safety/our lives.

Here's the description of it:

Located between Ocho Rios and Runaway Bay is Chukka Cove Equestrian Center, one of the finest equestrian centers in the Caribbean and home to your beach horseback adventure.

On this excursion you will:

• Take a scenic 30-minute ride to Chukka Cove Beach.
  • Meet your horse and take off into the sea.
  • Experience the exhilaration of riding along the shoreline and through the waves.

If anyone has any thoughts/opinions, I'd love to hear them.

Just back the island. My bus for the zip-line stopped at Chukka Farms for a few minutes and I watched the horse group. First thing I noted is these horses propably live better than most natives on the island. The horses all appeared calm and well kept. The large group of riders was in the process of getting a good practice and briefing of how to in a riding ring before heading out to the beach. We did drive by anohter group in the water . The beach appeared very shallow so you are not going extreme wave riding! The group was about belly high in water on the horse and moving slowly. If that's your thing it looked like a trustable excursion. Chukka Farms has a lovely clean restroom changing room and snack/drink bar.

Just back the island. My bus for the zip-line stopped at Chukka Farms for a few minutes and I watched the horse group. First thing I noted is these horses propably live better than most natives on the island. The horses all appeared calm and well kept. The large group of riders was in the process of getting a good practice and briefing of how to in a riding ring before heading out to the beach. We did drive by anohter group in the water . The beach appeared very shallow so you are not going extreme wave riding! The group was about belly high in water on the horse and moving slowly. If that's your thing it looked like a trustable excursion. Chukka Farms has a lovely clean restroom changing room and snack/drink bar.

Thanks for the description poppyskim - It sounds like fun. I'm more concerned about general tourist safety in the area though....any thoughts on the area that the horseback riding occurred in? Did it "feel" safe?

the beach ride was in a wide open area. I would only go there in a ride provided from the cruise terminal area. We did the Wilderness ATV ride and then went back to ship to catch our ride to the Canopy tour zipline, stopping at Chukka to sign in. I do not recommend the ATV. we rode on dirt roads . I do say the national symbol of Jamaica should be the machete knife....EVERYONE there was carrying one. When you see how extremely poor the average person there is you will feel so blessed for the life you have.Do not walk streets alone unless you want strong offers for drugs...many of the young males especially were talking about the offers on the streets near ship. Apparently someone took them up on it as we smell some "weed" on our balcony the last night! In order to get the the cruise ship area we had to show our sail cards to the guard to enter the large taxi area of the terminal.

Archived