How Would You Rate Boca Catalina \ Arashi for Snorkeling?

Sandytoes

I am looking at land base snorkeling sites. I keep reading about Boca Catalina & Arashi as being the best beaches to snorkel from.

How would you rate them...

Do they have chairs/umbrellas to rent?

Along with bathroom facilities?

Has anyone used the bus system as transportation to\from the beach?

Any Info would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at land base snorkeling sites. I keep reading about Boca Catalina & Arashi as being the best beaches to snorkel from.

How would you rate them...

Excellent, as far as Aruba goes. If you are a serious snorkeler, you will more than likely be disappointed. Dh and I dive and Aruba is far from the greatest, but at least we get to blow bubbles. :D
Do they have chairs/umbrellas to rent?
No chaise lounges, but there are shade palapas free for use to the public. First come, first served.
Along with bathroom facilities?
No, there are no bathroom facilities.

Has anyone used the bus system as transportation to\from the beach?
Any Info would be greatly appreciated.
Personally have not taken the bus, but it is possible. See Arubus information and schedules

Public buses are always an option!

Other Aruba snorkeling info from these past threads:

Info & Ideas for Snorkeling in Aruba

Touring on our Own + Snorkling

Lisa

Thanks for you info.

Can you suggest another beach for snorkeiling?

My DH is a serious snorkeler and I'm trying to find a really good spot, but I like lounging under an thatch hut\umbrella near the water.

I guess I want the best of both worlds.

If you know that is just right for both of us, let me know.

Again, Thanks....

Chris

Unfortunately the only place with chaises for rent and restrooms nearby would be Palm Beach or Eagle Beach. There is no snorkeling on either of these beaches.

I can suggest a compromise where he gets to snorkel and you get your chaise. :D There is a spot though between the Westin and Divi Phoenix Resort (south end of Palm Beach) which he can snorkel. The water is very calm there. About 150 yards off the beach there is a little jetty like rock island http://www.arubabound.com/photos/plmbch/palai.jpg where you can view fish, octopus, and other critters, etc. There are also rock jetties along both sides of the Phoenix's beach which may offer some glimpses of sea life.

Another compromise if you want sun and "facilities" and he wants to snorkel is to go on a snorkel cruise. Jolly Pirates, Mi Dushi, the Octopus and Tranquilo to name the smaller ones. Tranquilo goes to towards the south end of the island and does a terrific drift snorkel (next best thing to diving) on a 40 foot reef. We saw a 6 ft.+ Moray Eel there in September. The biggest for us in 100+ dives. He snorkels you lie about soaking up the rays drinking any number of cooling and refreshing cocktails.

Best bet to do this would be to take the bus or a taxi to the Radisson or Westin and walk the beach until you find a vendor renting the chaises and the umbrellas. You get set up and SO, can walk down towards the south end to do his thing.

Otherwise, the only other spot I can think of is Baby Beach and unless you are renting a car it is prohibitively expensive for just a day at the beach.

This is really freaky...was just on an Aruba BB and came upon this post from yesterday...

"HAS ANYONE BEEN TO BABY BEACH LATELY? WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

IS IT CLEANER? HOW IS THE SNORKELING?

Reply from seashelldiver [former island resident]

I was at Baby Beach 3 days back in late April and the beach was fine. Clean, lots of room for lounging, louge chairs for rent and the snorkeling was fine.......same at it always is in my opinion. The snorkeling has always been just ok for me there, my favorite place is Mangel Halto at Spanish Lagoon......in all my years of living in Aruba I never found a snorkeling spot better than this one. From the shore a good size of the reef is accessible, but the BEST way to see the entire reef is by going on TRANQUILO (your hotel activities desk can sign you up) and doing the shallow reef from the boat and then Capt Anthony will take those who want to go in his rubber dingy to the main part of the reef to do a "drift" snorkel....and the stunning corals and marine life you see there is not to be believed...GORGEOUS is all I can say about that spot !!!!!"

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived