Shore excursions

Hi all!

I wanted to post this in the Port of Call section, but since I'm inquiring about various ports of call, I thought it would be best to post it here.

As I mentioned in another thread, this will be our first cruise and our honeymoon. We are thinking of booking our shore excursions with the boat since it's our first time.

I was wondering if any of you have done the following excursion. If so, did you like them or do you have other excursions to propose.

We will be on the Valor

Grand Cayman: Off the Beaten Path Jeep

Roatan: Clear Kayak, Snorkeling and Gumbalimba Park

Belize: Goff's Caye Snorkeling or Barrier Reef Snorkel at Turneffe

Costa Maya: Chacchoben Maya Ruins

Also, when you book with the boat, are you sure to come back in time?

Thanks for your comments.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have a suggestion.

We never book excursions through the ship. On our last cruise we rented jet skis just a short walk from the ship. We usually rent a car (or whatever vehicle they have) and take off on our own or hire a taxi (we set the price and have them the whole time). We've never missed the ship as we always allow ourselves plenty of time to get back. One time, years ago, we booked an excursion through the cruise line. We enjoyed ourselves, but were ready to leave long before the tour left. We literally just stood around at the bus in the rain (it was a volcano in the rain forest in Costa Rica) for a couple of hours waiting for the driver to gather all of us together to leave. We realized later that we could have hired a taxi to take us to the same place for less. Yes, we got the special tour with the bus and all of the info, but we usually get that with taxi drivers, too. We just like being on our own timetable.

Since you have four ports, you might want to choose to not have an excursion on one of them, and see how you like being on your own. There's been many times when we've been snorkeling and have seen the ships' pax on their excursion, snorkeling in the same place. Chances are that we paid less, and we are on our own time schedule.

Some people do ship excursions all the time, and some don't. It's a matter of personal preference, but you could try both and see what you like. You may like both.

As far as missing the ship, I know of only one time when a couple took a ship excursion and missed the ship. There was a long thread about it here, a few months ago, and I do not remember which cruise line it was. I don't remember all of the details, but they did not make it back in time, and the ship did not wait for them. Maybe a search will find the story.

Have fun, whatever you decide,

Shay

We probably won't book all these excursions. These are the one we want to do and would like to book through the ship, but we're flexible if a better offer comes our way. :p

The only one I want to book early, is the clear kayak. For the others, we'll see once we are there.

Thanks for the advice.

if i were you, i would break down your thread into 4 parts and post it in all 4 separate threads in the ports section of this website. I am not picky like some people, and i am just making this suggestion because you may get more responses if you ask in the port section.

if i were you, i would break down your thread into 4 parts and post it in all 4 separate threads in the ports section of this website. I am not picky like some people, and i am just making this suggestion because you may get more responses if you ask in the port section.

Totally agree with the snorkelman!!! This belongs in the port forums.

...and NO, just because you book with Carnival, there have been a couple of threads on here where the ship sailed because an excursion was late.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I'm new to this boards and not quite familiar with what goes where (but as I mentioned in my first post, I did have a doubt as to where this discussion should have been posted).

I'll go ask my questions in the Ports of Call section.

Thanks for your answers.

Out all those ports and this being your first cruise - - you should do a ship tour in Belize - no matter what tour you choose.

I personally think if you have never been to Grand Cayman - you should do the Sting Ray City tour - either with the ship or on your own. Once you tender into the dock - there will be plenty of tours for sale - cheaper than on the ship. Sting Ray City only takes a couple hours and gives you plenty of time to tour or walk around town - which is perfectly safe.

Costa Maya - has plenty to offer at the port if you need a "break day". This is the place I would take it. You can also take a cab to the beach for about $3.00 per person and just hang out. You can get a massage on the beach for about $20.00 per person.

I would also follow the suggestions above and post in each port area. There is a wealth of information over there.

Enjoy and good luck!

My only suggestion would be if you go to Grand Cayman and enjoy the water, swimming with the stingrays is something you will never forget. We have been on 35 cruises and the stingrays and climbing Dunn's River falls in Jamaica are two that we enjoyed more than any other. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

I agree with Donna about booking your excursion for Belize with the ship. We once booked with an outside company for a cave tubing trip. Our bus broke down and we were scared to death we would miss the ship. (We actually beat the ships tour groups back to tender but it was scary for a while.) If you have plenty of time I would certainly book elsewhere, but if it's a time limit book with the ship.

I just want to chime in and agree with some of the others.

1. Stingrays in Grand Cayman is a wonderful experience.

2. Book with the ship in Belize

We've been on 9 cruises and we still book a lot of excursions with the ship. My hubby is a worry wart--so we get to have a good time and he doesn't have to worry.

We've done a 4x4 jeep excursion before and it was also a lot of fun.

Enjoy, I hope you have a beautiful wedding and a long happy marriage.

Archived