Questions about Santorini

Has anyone been to the prehistoric site of Akrotiri in Santorini? We are signed up for an excursion entitled "Prehistoric Museum of Akrotiri and Nomikos Foundation". I was wondering if this will be the actual site or just a museum. Or maybe it's one in the same? Would love to hear from someone who's been there recently.

Thanks,

LynneA.

There is some info on this site - not sure how current it is, but there is a contact email address that you might be able to get current info from: http://www.santorini.net/129.html

Also, if you use the "Search This Forum" feature (top right on the Forum Page) & search "Akrotiri", the threads with discussion on it will show.

The archeological site has been closed to the public for a while now. There is always a chance it will be open when you are there, but I wouldn't count on it being part of the excursion.

I was there in May 2007 and it was closed. Others have been there and its been opened I think its the kind of thing you will have to check the day you are there.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. I did go to the websites and links you all provided. Looks like it might indeed be closed to build an "environmental shelter" above the site. I'm not sure if I want to go the the museum. Maybe other things I'd rather do.

That "shelter" was there when we visited Akrotiri in Dec 2000.

I did notice that on our cruise in October 07, Princess has no tours going to Akrotiri, so perhaps the site is closed for the time being.

I'm not sure if I want to go the the museum. Maybe other things I'd rather do.

The museum is probably quite interesting .... but Santorini is such an interesting and beautiful island with spectacular views from so many places, that I would try to see some of the island and spend time outdoors.

Enjoy!

I did an email to Santorini and found out the site is closed until next May (2008). Still may do the museum, but I agree, there is alot to do on that beautiful island. Not worried at all about filling my day!

Lynne

We just returned from Santorini on Galaxy. There were five ships in port, and it was extremely crowded. Masses of people everywhere! There is only one Cable Car to get down, and it was over an hour wait, so plan accordingly. We were in line 1.5 hours before the last tender and did not move for 30 minutes! SO...we took the donkeys down the stairs. It was truly a lot of fun, but remember that YOUR CABLE CAR TICKET WILL PAY FOR THE DONKEY RIDE! We didn't know, and paid the customary 5 Euros per person (it was worth it) and gave the ticket to our handler as a tip. Note that the mules are not house trained so if you walk the steps expect to walk on more than the pavement, if you know what I mean.

We chose the Volcano Hot Springs excursion put on by the cruise ship and were surprized at how nice it was. It was strenuous (as advertised), but the views were absolutely stunning. Our clothes did not discolor, but they were nylon and polyester swim trunks. Others wearing cotton came away with pumpkin colored stains.

Afterwards we explored Thira on our own, and found the Greek Orthodox church in town a wonderful site to see. We did not make it to the Catholic Cathedral. Others in our group went wine tasting. They were sorry not to have bought some of the wine as they said it was very good, and wished they had some to bring home.

Good luck - however you do Santorini you will like it if you don't mind the crowds. If you're lucky there will only be your ship in port on that day!

Archived