Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

The poster is correct. The poll means absolutely nothing. In order to be accurate, a poll must fit a list of requisites, which would be impossible to accomplish here.

Having said that, I'll give you my opinion before you give it (my opinion) to me as you did the previous poster.

I agree that formal night should be enforced. By that, I mean all dress for men and women should meet the definition of formal (not semi-formal, not church clothes, and not whatever you feel like you look good in). Formal means a tux - It used to mean white tie. For the ladies it would mean a full-length gown. That used to mean a ball gown.

IMO, what causes the confusion is calling it one thing "formal night" but not going by what the name truly entails. I don't blame people for being upset if they go through the hassle of packing for a true "formal night" and see everything that is allowed into the dining room.

I didn't attend formal night because I didn't want the hassle of packing for it, but I can understand those who want to do so. If that's your thing, and you enjoy it, go for it. Everyone should honor the wishes of those who do enjoy it and dress formally , and everyone else should eat should elsewhere.

I see, you load up by saying I will be wrong no matter what I care to say about your comments. Sorry, that's unacceptable silliness.

The source of confusion can only be an inability to understand simple English. Carnival clearly states [and it has been linked here hundreds of times] what is expected of men, women, and children on formal nites. Your opinion of formal may differ,but nobody axed ya! Its their formal nite, and they give a clear [and liberal] dress code. It cannot be called 'black tie" and formal has to be interpreted loosely. But it is not your formal party or mine, its theirs. I wear a tux because I like to make my spouse happy and if someone is wearing a sport coat and tie [or a suit] I don't give it a thought. Someone underdressed from there is being rude to their hosts, fellow pax, and me. If one does not care to participate in the Carnival idea of formal nite, they may eat in the buffet.---And do not tell me your dinner is included in your fare, the buffet is a dinner.

Dan

I am really tired of adults who cant make a decisionregarding formal night Just decide if you want to participate and dress appropriately for the occiasion or NOT. If NOT then go to the buffet. I am tired hearing about people who are on vaction to have fun and can't get dressed for it.. Get over it. Some of like to enjoy a nice evening.

I see, you load up by saying I will be wrong no matter what I care to say about your comments. Sorry, that's unacceptable silliness.

The source of confusion can only be an inability to understand simple English. Carnival clearly states [and it has been linked here hundreds of times] what is expected of men, women, and children on formal nites. Your opinion of formal may differ,but nobody axed ya! Its their formal nite, and they give a clear [and liberal] dress code. It cannot be called 'black tie" and formal has to be interpreted loosely. But it is not your formal party or mine, its theirs. I wear a tux because I like to make my spouse happy and if someone is wearing a sport coat and tie [or a suit] I don't give it a thought. Someone underdressed from there is being rude to their hosts, fellow pax, and me. If one does not care to participate in the Carnival idea of formal nite, they may eat in the buffet.---And do not tell me your dinner is included in your fare, the buffet is a dinner.

Dan

articulate - what a combo..!!

Refreshing - thanks for posting...

Dan

Dan, you are always such a class act!! I do hope that we are able to cruise together some day!!

I am really tired of adults who cant make a decisionregarding formal night Just decide if you want to participate and dress appropriately for the occiasion or NOT. If NOT then go to the buffet. I am tired hearing about people who are on vaction to have fun and can't get dressed for it.. Get over it. Some of like to enjoy a nice evening.

Seems 75% of folks cruising do also.

We win - we win... :0)!!

Dan

Thanks Dan for stating that so VERY well!

The poster is correct. The poll means absolutely nothing. In order to be accurate, a poll must fit a list of requisites, which would be impossible to accomplish here.

Having said that, I'll give you my opinion before you give it (my opinion) to me as you did the previous poster.

I agree that formal night should be enforced. By that, I mean all dress for men and women should meet the definition of formal (not semi-formal, not church clothes, and not whatever you feel like you look good in). Formal means a tux - It used to mean white tie. For the ladies it would mean a full-length gown. That used to mean a ball gown.

IMO, what causes the confusion is calling it one thing "formal night" but not going by what the name truly entails. I don't blame people for being upset if they go through the hassle of packing for a true "formal night" and see everything that is allowed into the dining room.

I didn't attend formal night because I didn't want the hassle of packing for it, but I can understand those who want to do so. If that's your thing, and you enjoy it, go for it. Everyone should honor the wishes of those who do enjoy it and dress formally , and everyone else should eat should elsewhere.

Formal nite has definately been 'watered down' and while I am saddened I know it does allow those who can not afford tuxes or even to rent them to attend -

So lets see the suits/sports jackets & ties/cocktail length or fancy dresses/pantsuits but PLEASE - that shld be the very least...

I agree with u that those who wish to dress up shld and those that don't shld simply eat elsewhere.. If u wish to enjoy the service & the overall ambience on formal nites in the dining room then u have to participate by dressing to code.

Otherwise - u help spoil the ambience..and why do u wish to do that?

Is it not nicer to be part of it instead.

Simple solution..

That attitude is what makes society slide into the abyss.

I'll be danged if I'm going to dress like a slob, when requested to dress nicely just 'because everybody else is doing it.'

Sounds like something a bratty child would whine.

Why don't we all GROW UP?????? If you are politely asked to dress and act with a little decorum, I think it isn't asking too much.

Some people act as if dressing nicely is a mountain they're being asked to climb. :rolleyes:

And again, if the change is headed the way YOU say, then our poll is way off. I think you just want to think that todays people are 'above' dressing up, I think you are very wrong.

U have nailed it exactly.. Sad isn't it!!

75%

What part of "formal" sounds like jeans?

It shouldn't be like school where the principal will monitor what you wear ... you are adults. What does formal mean?

I hope the dining room is always a time to dress up ... and for the record I don't like the "teams" and could do with only one night of singing (not on the tables). So, don't want it both ways.

I hope the people from Carnival are on here listening to the majority.

After reading some of the 'stuff' on here I don't think so..

I know Carnival is monitoring this thread..and that is a positive at least..

Its their formal nite, and they give a clear [and liberal] dress code. It cannot be called 'black tie" and formal has to be interpreted loosely. But it is not your formal party or mine, its theirs.

Correct. And that is pretty much how most of the people dress....by Carnivals dress code. So whats' the problem:confused:

This is just a poll and people are stating their opinions one way or another.

If the policy changes it will be Carnivals call not yours mine or anyone elses....plain and simple.

Correct. And that is pretty much how most of the people dress....by Carnivals dress code. So whats' the problem:confused:

This is just a poll and people are stating their opinions one way or another.

If the policy changes it will be Carnivals call not yours mine or anyone elses....plain and simple.

how something like this poll goes.

Carnival will go with the flow sprinkled with whatever concessions they need or can get away with to keep the $s coming in...

Any policies are based on customer reactions - like I said earlier 'majority rules'..so in effect our money makes policy not Carnival.. Plain & simple -- yes!!

Vote on -- :0)

And do not tell me your dinner is included in your fare, the buffet is a dinner.

Dan

In truth breakfast,lunch and dinner in the dining room is included.The option to go there is the passenger's choice.The buffet is also included as an option for those who choose not to participate in formal night.

how something like this poll goes.

Carnival will go by present, past and future guests.....not this silly little poll:p

Like someone else said just because they voted for "wear whatever" does not mean they don't dress up.

Why do people always have to buck the system? Just follow the rules they are there so people can enjoy a nice dining experience that is not just so ordinary. If they want casual eat at the buffet.

I have been on numerous cruises and I personally don't appreciate taking the time and effort to dress properly and then having to look at men's hairy armpits while eating on double linen tablecloths. If I wanted that I could stay home and go to Barnhill's Buffet. It is just a matter of respecting everyone's cruising experience and that is why the rules are in place.

There should be another dining room. You can wear whatever you want, shorts, tank tops, anything. And you get paper plates, plastic utensils, and plastic cups. Since some people think formal dining is just like a picnic anyway. For the people who have some sort of social manners, let there be a formal dining experience.:D

Dan

I didn't say you would be wrong. I said I prefer to give my own opinion rather than you giving it for me.

If one does not care to participate in the Carnival idea of formal nite, they may eat in the buffet.---And do not tell me your dinner is included in your fare, the buffet is a dinner.

Must you grumble and fuss even when someone agrees with you?

Don't you get tired of posting the same thing day after day?

Class act? no - unacceptable silliness

What does this have to do with growing up:confused:
Now that's funny.......;) You're right...this thread has nothing to do with growing up...obviously....:D

I don't want to dress up so I'm just going to do what I want. If people don't like it I am going to hold my breath until I turn blue in the face while throwing a tantrum. Then I am going to whine and scream until I get my way because I am a spoiled brat. If people don't like it I don't care because it is my vacation so there. (Sticks out tounge and makes raspberry noise).

You are 100% correct. Some people on this thread have nothing to do with being grown up.;)

Now that's funny.......;) You're right...this thread has nothing to do with growing up...obviously....:D

I don't want to dress up so I'm just going to do what I want. If people don't like it I am going to hold my breath until I turn blue in the face while throwing a tantrum. Then I am going to whine and scream until I get my way because I am a spoiled brat. If people don't like it I don't care because it is my vacation so there. (Sticks out tounge and makes raspberry noise).

You are 100% correct. Some people on this thread have nothing to do with being grown up.;)

It's a friggin poll....nothing more nothing less....:confused:

I want to say you are being stupid..but if I do I will only get **** from you and your friends well you know.......

It's a friggin poll....nothing more nothing less....:confused:

I want to say you are being stupid..but if I do I will only get **** from you and your friends well you know.......

You are right...and I'm having a little fun.

I've only posted on here a few times and guess who the number one poster on this thread is..."It's only a poll"...;)

Archived