Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

Just something interesting in the capers from the Liberty 6-day sailing of June 17th. For the formal night, there is a specific section that says:

Dress Code, for Tonight's Dinner

Dinner in the Silver and Golden Dining Rooms.

Tonight , Formal or Business Attire will be

required to enter the dining room.

SOURCE: Capers posted in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579456

Please note it says "required" not "recommended."

A reviewer of this exact same cruise said:

"Formal night was a mix of everything, there were dress slacks with collared shirts, suits, suits and ties, and tuxedos. There were also a significant number of empty tables on formal night. Cruisers are starting to disapprove of the formal night with their feet, at least on this cruise, the empty tables seemed to distress the staff." SOURCE: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579210

Notice that while there was a "mix of everything" it did not include non-business attire (ie. jeans). To me this is an indication that at least one Maitre d' is trying to enforce the rules.

So do you think that Carnival should enforce the formal night dress code by barring entrance to anyone not in Formal or Business attire? Or do you think they should do away with the formal dress code altogether?

Yes! If they're going to have a Formal Night, I do think they should enforce it. People know when they book that there will be a Formal Night, what is required & can choose to participate or not.

On our recent Legend cruise, Formal night had several jeans/tshirts that I saw, one guy in a fishnet tank top & shorts. Our Capers said "Suggested attire for this evening is 'Formal' Please, no shorts to be worn at dinner."

They should state it as they do. They should turn away those that don't abide.

If you don't want to dress for formal night, order room service. I haven't cruised Carnival yet, but on Princess you can always go to the casual buffet or even the Caribe Cafe for a sit down ordered meal.

You know it would be very tricky, and uncomfortable, to enforce the dress code. Every cruise I have been on there has been luggage issues for someone. On a recent 12 day a lady never received one piece of her luggage! She already feels terrible, has limited clothes, and then is turned away in the dining room. How wrong would that be? Announcements were made to welcome all that had luggage issues and Carnival let them know they wanted them to be in the dining room. You always have to factor in that there are other reasons why somone wouldn't dress formally and we shouldn't be there judge. Now, if you talk about manners, then that is something altogether different, that isn't lost with your luggage!

Just something interesting in the capers from the Liberty 6-day sailing of June 17th. For the formal night, there is a specific section that says:

Dress Code, for Tonight's Dinner

Dinner in the Silver and Golden Dining Rooms.

Tonight , Formal or Business Attire will be

required to enter the dining room.

SOURCE: Capers posted in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579456

Please note it says "required" not "recommended."

A reviewer of this exact same cruise said:

"Formal night was a mix of everything, there were dress slacks with collared shirts, suits, suits and ties, and tuxedos. There were also a significant number of empty tables on formal night. Cruisers are starting to disapprove of the formal night with their feet, at least on this cruise, the empty tables seemed to distress the staff." SOURCE: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579210

Notice that while there was a "mix of everything" it did not include non-business attire (ie. jeans). To me this is an indication that at least one Maitre d' is trying to enforce the rules.

So do you think that Carnival should enforce the formal night dress code by barring entrance to anyone not in Formal or Business attire? Or do you think they should do away with the formal dress code altogether?

why do people dwell over this, you are on vacation to have FUN!

Just wanted to explain my choice - I chose yes but only because I am referring to the 1 or 2 specific "formal nights" on a cruise. In my opinion, on other nights, people shouldn't have to feel that they need to dress up to have dinner in the dining room.

I voted "yes" on the dress code enforcement because that's what's requested but I think it's time to consider what many lines in the industry are doing, change to a "freestyle" or "anytime" dining scheme. Keep the traditional/formal dining as an option, ala Princess, but offer anytime dining, even if that means reconfiguring the ship layout. Certainly, at least offer it on all new builds. And I wouldn't consider the casual buffet dining as the only alternative.

Of course they should...

Many of us (males) have to pack extra with dress shoes, dark suit, etc..

To see someone walk into the dining room with a tee shirt and hat turned backwards is an insult. Shame on Carnival for allowing them access!

And how will they enforce it? No food for you! Walk the plank! LOL!!!!

The only thing I can say is when I sailed with the NCL Crown our one friend could not enter the dining room because he didn't have a suit coat on. The maitra de said they had a coat to offer but he went to his cabin and got his own.

But on the Carnival cruise that I sailed this month ... I didn't see it enforced. However, I wasn't really paying that much attention either as I dressed up on formal night. Our family enjoys it. If you don't like dressing up and Carnival decides to enforce it, I guess its the buffet line for you. LOL!!! Have a great cruise!!! :)

I voted "yes" on the dress code enforcement because that's what's requested but I think it's time to consider what many lines in the industry are doing, change to a "freestyle" or "anytime" dining scheme. Keep the traditional/formal dining as an option, ala Princess, but offer anytime dining, even if that means reconfiguring the ship layout. Certainly, at least offer it on all new builds. And I wouldn't consider the casual buffet dining as the only alternative.

Just so you know, On Princess the Anytime Dining Room has the same dress each evening as the regular dining room.

It amazes me why everyone even worries about this - unless you work for Carnival!

Dress as you please and let everyone else dress as they please.

My food doesn't taste any better or worse because someone has on jeans and someone else is dressed.

Edited for spelling and probably is still wrong! lol

And how will they enforce it? No food for you! Walk the plank! LOL!!!!

:)

Good idea. Unfortunately, unless you have them don a PFD and locator beacon, the ship will then have to turn around and look for them.

DON

Although I've only been on one cruise so far (second coming up), I found a post on another thread that states how I feel.

When I went on the cruise, I looked forward to 'dressing for dinner' on the formal nite, as do many others. Those that choose not to are not breaking the rules, per se, but they are a little disrespectful to those that want that certain atmosphere. If you are insistent that "No one's gonna tell ME what to wear", then take advantage of the other dining options. Formal means Formal, if for no other reason than to contribute to the crusing experience.

That is all..... let the barbs fly.

Archived