Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

Voted Yes just because that is the current Carnival policy. I don't personally care for the formal nights and skipped them on the Glory last year. I think the trend will keep moving away from formal nights but I think we should still respect Carnival and those that choose to follow the formal night dress policy

:D Like that Seinfeld soup guy, except "Suit N***"!

Leo Jay -- exactly what I was implying!!! Good read!!! LOL!!

"No formal attire for you!!! No food!!!" LOL!!! Could you imagine!?!?!? :p

Isn't that the reason why most people cruise ... for the food!!! J/K ... LOL!!! :)

On a cruise I like to dress for dinner. It's my choice to do so. I don't care what other people wear. It doesn't affect my vacation at all. But I'm tempted to stroll in one formal night wearing cutoffs and a tshirt just to get some peoples' shorts in a wad. If you want to give me that kind of power, I'm almost tempted to take it.

I think it is good that Carnival does not allow t-shirt/shorts, but a polo and khakis should be ok every night. I will be going on the Freedom next week and plan to attend the 'formal' night only because my previous experiences tell me that this is the night they serve lobster and fillet mignon. We are very limited as to what we can pack and a suit/tuxedo is out of the question.

I think it is good that Carnival does not allow t-shirt/shorts, but a polo and khakis should be ok every night. I will be going on the Freedom next week and plan to attend the 'formal' night only because my previous experiences tell me that this is the night they serve lobster and fillet mignon. We are very limited as to what we can pack and a suit/tuxedo is out of the question.

That isn't always true ... double check the Carnival channel on your cabin TV for the menu selection or just go to the dinning room and review that days dinner menu as posted in the front lobby. I say this becuase, I just sailed on the Miracle and our lobster night was on the first port day. So if you went off the ship for dinner, you missed out on your two lobsters or how many you wanted ... LOL!!! We of course stayed for dinner and went into port after. :)

I don't think they should allow jeans and t-shirts (especially that fish net shirt someone talked about :eek:), but I think that's really the only definitive line that can be drawn. My DH doesn't own and suit, and can't just rent stuff because of his waist to thigh ratio (he has really muscular legs, so he doesn't just fit ANY pair of pants). He does however, wear a button down with a tie and nice dress pants, which to me just looks like he left his jacket in the room (He'd take it off anyway since he gets so hot). I know I'll probably get yelled at, but just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Enforce ... no. People should be mature enough to follow the dress code without being reminded. It amazes me that this is an issue.

What? Sure they should be mature enough to dress properly, same as they SHOULD be mature enough to do many, many, many things in an adult manner.

But that is no more the reality of things than "reality shows" are.

I wear a tux on formal nites and I enjoy the idea of formal nites, but if anything goes is the way the future will treat it, do away with it. The present Carnival dress code allowing from a tux down to a sport jacket [w/tie] is so easy that absolute strict enforcement should not be a problem to any mature adult. But there are many immature adults on ships and in life. Sure, those who underdress for the occasion are ignorant of manners, rude and socially inept. But they're there, nonetheless. Enforce it or forget it.

Dan

Carnival’s original “Fun Ship” marketing strategy embraced the concept of less formal attire in dinning rooms. I can tell you in 1984 they had a “no suit” required policy. That said, most passengers followed the suggested dress code. Perhaps it was that strategy that 35 years later has made Carnival so successful….look at the number of traditional cruise lines they now own.

I don’t want to sound snobby, but all you need to do is look at Carnival’s passenger demographics at time of boarding and during the cruise. Lots of first timers, lots of families, lots of very casual dressers, and lots of party people. Take a look a the number of bars on Carnival ships….mid-ship to aft on deck 5 of Triumph is almost like New Orleans’s French Quarter. That is by design and should tell you something about Carnival’s mindset.

I got to know the Matri’D on our last cruise and asked him about enforcement of the dress code. The evening meal is but one of three for the passengers he comes serves. He and his staff are obliged to treat all passengers equally and not alienate anyone. Therefore he and his staff will not enforce the dress code. He did say for a short period the security staff was posted at the entry to the dinning room to enforce dress codes.

Bottom line, don’t look for Carnival to change. If it turns you off, they will suggest you move on to one of their more traditional lines they now own.

If people would mind there own buisness and just pay attention to the ones that are with you, the ones you love, then there wouldn't be any problem. It's a freakin' cruise, not a State Dinner.

I don't think it should be enforced at all or at least one of the 2 nights it should be optional. I don't understand why what I have on has any impact on those around me, or their enjoyment of getting dressed up and having a bunch of overprice photo ops. And while I take a dress for formals nights I don't always feel like putting on hose and heels. But if the cruise line starts making it a requirement then I'm going to start having the prepaid tips removed from my S&S card and paying the waitstaff and fee for how ever many nights I actually dine in the dining room.

IMO the only reason the lines started going with 2 formal nights anyway is $$$$$$$ Anything to rev up the revenue!!!!!!!!!

Scapino, you and others fail to see this issue from the perspective of others who have spent a bundle for a cruise, have expectations and are even excited by the dream of formal dinners, and then have those expectations trashed by the give a hoot..its all about me..screw you shipmates and a crew who refuses to enforce their own rules.

That isn't always true ... double check the Carnival channel on your cabin TV for the menu selection or just go to the dinning room and review that days dinner menu as posted in the front lobby. I say this becuase, I just sailed on the Miracle and our lobster night was on the first port day. So if you went off the ship for dinner, you missed out on your two lobsters or how many you wanted ... LOL!!! We of course stayed for dinner and went into port after. :)

I'm curious about this because I thought I read it in your review as well. We absolutely had lobster upstairs on formal night. On SJ night, it was filet mignon which is why we rushed back onboard for the kids to get their "good steak".

BTW, I'm a rule follower. I voted absolutely enforce and please also don't allow jeans/shorts on the other nights either.

Scapino, you and others fail to see this issue from the perspective of others who have spent a bundle for a cruise, have expectations and are even excited by the dream of formal dinners, and then have those expectations trashed by the give a hoot..its all about me..screw you shipmates and a crew who refuses to enforce their own rules.

We're you thinking that I didn't spend a bundle? and for that bundle I should have to stand in a luke warm buffet line! Please, I'm not trying to ruin your dream of a formal dinner, and I don't think that it's all about me, but again, I paid my bundle too and if they want to offer me the same level of service in another dining venue that I get in the main dining room then I'll take my slacks and blouse to that place.

Maybe that's the solution On the formal nights they can designate the smaller dining room for Formal Wear only, strictly enforced and have open seating in the other dining room but serve the same menu. Now everybody is happy :)

I have started my own formal night initiative. I feel it is the maitre'd's job to enforce the dress code as it written. If I feel he has done his job, then and only then will I put a tip in his envelope along with a note thanking him for enforcing the dress code. On the other hand if I notice alot of clothing that does not meet even the basic interpretation(sp?) of the dress code instead of the tip there will just be a note explaining that I did not feel that he did his job of creating the dining atmoshpere I was expecting so there is no tip. I know this won't change anything but at least from our table of 7 platinum members they will get our message. Cindy

I don't think it should be enforced at all or at least one of the 2 nights it should be optional. I don't understand why what I have on has any impact on those around me, or their enjoyment of getting dressed up and having a bunch of overprice photo ops. And while I take a dress for formals nights I don't always feel like putting on hose and heels. But if the cruise line starts making it a requirement then I'm going to start having the prepaid tips removed from my S&S card and paying the waitstaff and fee for how ever many nights I actually dine in the dining room.

IMO the only reason the lines started going with 2 formal nights anyway is $$$$$$$ Anything to rev up the revenue!!!!!!!!!

Okgirl. So, if standards of dress are enforced, you will punish the waitstaff (who also work the buffets and other venues at non-dinner hours) by removing your tips. That's really cheap of you.

The reason I'd like it to be enforced is that I love dressing up for formal night, and my husband doesn't. I have very few occasions in my 'real life' to get really dressed up, and my husband grumbles all the way but does it because I ask him to. Then we get to the dining room and he starts pointing out all the other men who's wives didn't make them dress up. Our future formal pictures will have me in an evening gown and him in a polo shirt :)

Archived