Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

Carnival can put 'required' all they want in their policies and manuals. But, in reality, it's 'suggested', because they don't turn anyone away. Rules are only rules if they're enforced. I wear a coat and tie to formal night, not a tux. If Carnival makes a tux mandatory, I'll eat at the buffet that night. What did YOU gain by that?

Perhaps an atmosphere that resembled a fine dining experience.

Ok, I really should not be allowed to discuss what I see and what I don't see. What a dork I am, yes you are correct and not confused that would be me.:D All I was paying attention to was cruiser and didn't bother to notice that it said "truecruiser, not calicruiser101. I am laughing so hard right now that I can't even type, tears are welling up in my eyes. :D Aren't you glad I'm your buddy on here? Always good for a laugh.

okay...it's official. you need to make an eye appt. LOL. (DH is probably playin tricks on you again). wireless access, LOL?

You don't get that on non-formal nights in the dining room? I haven't found 'formal night' to be any more 'special' than any other night, service-wise. And it's the SERVICE which makes fine dining, not the other patrons.

Just something interesting in the capers from the Liberty 6-day sailing of June 17th. For the formal night, there is a specific section that says:

Dress Code, for Tonight's Dinner

Dinner in the Silver and Golden Dining Rooms.

Tonight , Formal or Business Attire will be

required to enter the dining room.

SOURCE: Capers posted in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579456

Please note it says "required" not "recommended."

A reviewer of this exact same cruise said:

"Formal night was a mix of everything, there were dress slacks with collared shirts, suits, suits and ties, and tuxedos. There were also a significant number of empty tables on formal night. Cruisers are starting to disapprove of the formal night with their feet, at least on this cruise, the empty tables seemed to distress the staff." SOURCE: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579210

Notice that while there was a "mix of everything" it did not include non-business attire (ie. jeans). To me this is an indication that at least one Maitre d' is trying to enforce the rules.

So do you think that Carnival should enforce the formal night dress code by barring entrance to anyone not in Formal or Business attire? Or do you think they should do away with the formal dress code altogether?

I was on the same cruise. I was in a tux, (last time that's happening) and sitting next to me is a guy in jeans, wrinkled polo and beach sandals.

Second formal we were in Costa Maya so instead of dressing up we stayed off the ship til late and ate at the buffet.

I don't need anybody to wear a tux or even a suit on formal night. Just make an attempt to look presentable, not like you just rolled outta bed after sleeping in your clothes.

Bill

You don't get that on non-formal nights in the dining room? I haven't found 'formal night' to be any more 'special' than any other night, service-wise. And it's the SERVICE which makes fine dining, not the other patrons.

Clearly I don't get the same atmosphere on Non-Formal nights, as it is not a formal night. You stated and I quote "the SERVICE which makes fine dining, not the other patrons." This is simply not accurate nor is it true. I have on occasion had fine or nice service at Olive Garden or some other chain but I would certainly not classify any of those as fine dining experiences. When dining at the lodge in Pebble Beach I receive fine service, great atmosphere and the other patrons all are dressed according to the standards set by the lodge. If someone came in not dressed correctly I would expect they would not be allowed in as it would detract from the atmosphere.

Hell yeah.

If you're going to have a rule/regulation or even a request, enforce it or don't have it.

I voted yes. However, I have to add that on six Carnival cruises, neither myself or Mrs B has ever dressed FORMAL, in the commonly understood sense of that word, after our first cruise. I no longer did so because I saw that this "rule" was never enforced. Therefore, taking along an extra piece of luggage seemed silly and a waste of time. The truth is that Carnival promotes formal nights ONLY because it can sell more photos to folks. When people dress up in their "formal" best, they apparently, and for good reason, want a picture to remember the occasion. Well, that's fine. We don't care to get pictures of ourselves in that kind of clothing, so why bother.

Now, if the rule was STRICTLY enforced, as it is on the high end lines, and I knew ahead of time that that was the case, then of course we would bring formal clothing. Yet in those circumstances, one knows that EVERYONE will be dressed to bring on a certain ambience. If everyone is not doing so, then it makes the entire experience ridiculous.

The trend in society is going towards more casual, and the better restaurants have been unable to enforce any kind of "tie and jacket" dress codes for a long time. Just like restaurants, Carnival looks at the bottom line and decides rightly or wrongly, that "the customer is always right".

Lines such as Cunard, Crystal, Radisson and Seaborn are going to attract a certain kind of clientele in a different social strata than the folks Carnival is reaching out to. We personally don't enjoy the "formality" which those ships demand on those evenings, or the experience. We prefer casual and informal which is why we cruise on CC, NCL etc.

I also believe that formal is going the way of the dodo, in the same way that felt brimmed hats did for men (Take a look at photos of men in the street in the 30s,40s and early 50s. Not one man was seen with a bare head, and all of the men had on those gray and brown fedoras, stetsons etc.), or that lace veils and gloves have for women.

Nowadays, the hats seen on just about everyone in the street are ball caps, male and female. Were our parents and grandparents correct, and are we wrong. No, times, fashions and styles have always changed throughout history.

Someday in the future, people will wonder in amazement why men tied a colored piece of fabric around their necks, and knotted it into a constriction which made it sometimes difficult to breathe. Why on earth would anyone with any sense of logic do something stupid like that, which serves no practical purpose?

BnB

Just something interesting in the capers from the Liberty 6-day sailing of June 17th. For the formal night, there is a specific section that says:

It has been changed from "recommended" to "required" for quite some time now, which was quite apparent on our last cruise, the Maitre'd was turning people away from the dining room, after people heard about it, they were dresses to the "required" standards and the dining room was packed everynight.

Some people didn't even know there was a dress code until it was anounced.

And how will they enforce it? No food for you! Walk the plank! LOL!!!!

LMAO, this just made my day:p But exactly, how would they enforce it.

Anyway, I've never heard of anyone mentioning "business attire" business dress for who, men. Which is a duh they wear suits. I'm sure some would still look/turn their noses up at a woman in "business attire".

Men get it easy for formal, imo. Suit and call it a day...women it's "I wear gowns because it looks better or cocktail dress, or "church slacks aren't dressy enough":rolleyes:

Enforce ... no. People should be mature enough to follow the dress code without being reminded. It amazes me that this is an issue.

It will become a lot more of an issue over time also..

Sad isn't it...that proper adherance to dress codes and manners is not taught at home the way my generation was - Our whole society has gone downhill in almost all areas and consider where it leads thru every generation.

Consider the consequences if this attitude of 'do your own thing no matter what' does continue - soon there will be no rules or regulations followed for anything - there will simply be chaos..

I mean, if u believe in it and feel like going nude to dinner - why not - rules are meant to be broken correct - especially when folks won't say or do anything about it..like complain to the cruiseline?? When u see people improperly dressed - do u?

If something is done often enough by enough people it becomes the norm and acceptable...and..indicative of a declining civilization - think it fits perhaps?

A trifle dramatic - yes - but then again perhaps not!!

LMAO, this just made my day:p But exactly, how would they enforce it.

Anyway, I've never heard of anyone mentioning "business attire" business dress for who, men. Which is a duh they wear suits. I'm sure some would still look/turn their noses up at a woman in "business attire".

Men get it easy for formal, imo. Suit and call it a day...women it's "I wear gowns because it looks better or cocktail dress, or "church slacks aren't dressy enough":rolleyes:

Easy - very simple to enforce - if they aren't correctly attired they:

DO NOT GET IN!!

Better restaurants refuse entry to those improperly attired - why not the cruiseships dining rooms???

At the least, suggest if they wish entry to go and CHANGE or suggest they make use of room service or the buffet -

Cldn't be easier...and the word wld soon get around that u can't get in if improperly attired and in a short space of time the problem wld be solved..

Now if I cld just understand why the cruiselines don't do it?

Why don't they specific different attire for different dining rooms? That way everybody can get what they want. I still don't think shorts/sleeveless shirts/hats should be worn to dinner, though.

That makes as much sense and going to a wedding, and have table set up for those that just don't want to dress as required, or even a separate room for them.

Seems like someone needs lessons on posting and getting quotes. Funny how many people just start posting and don't know what they are doing or how to use these boards.

I say its time to make them study and do a test (and pass it):D before posting on CC...;)

I know how to quote! I've never had issues quoting before:) I really don't know what happened, but it seems it started with one quote, and every quote stemming from that post got messed up too.

SOURCE: Capers posted in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579456

A reviewer of this exact same cruise said:

"Formal night was a mix of everything, there were dress slacks with collared shirts, suits, suits and ties, and tuxedos. There were also a significant number of empty tables on formal night. Cruisers are starting to disapprove of the formal night with their feet, at least on this cruise, the empty tables seemed to distress the staff." SOURCE: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=579210

Notice that while there was a "mix of everything" it did not include non-business attire (ie. jeans). To me this is an indication that at least one Maitre d' is trying to enforce the rules.

So do you think that Carnival should enforce the formal night dress code by barring entrance to anyone not in Formal or Business attire? Or do you think they should do away with the formal dress code altogether?

this should be something to see on my next carnival cruise, since we dont even bring shoes just sneakers. We wear smart casual pants and shirt with my sneakers. I would love to see carnival kick me out of dinning room after 40 plus cruises with them since 1994. we tell our table mates the night before that we wouldnt be getting dress up. We sometimes go up to lido to eat casual . I think this rule is in effect to stop jeans and shorts

Yes, the rule should be enforced. The only question is where you draw the line.

One night (or two) is called "formal", but formal wear is not required, just slacks and a shirt with a tie (for men). Wet swimsuits and no shirt are obviously a no-no, as is a sleevless shirt. The line has to decide if jeans are OK, if polo shirts are OK, if print T-shirts are OK.

If the cruise line chooses to have a rule, their employees should enforce it. At the same time equivalent alternatives should be made available to people who choose not to wear formal or business attire. Maybe a different dining room, but with the same fare and service.

Personally, I enjoy "dressing up". I have a tuxedo that gets little or no use otherwise. I have to get it out once in a while or the moths will claim it! :D

If the cruise line chooses to have a rule, their employees should enforce it.

A dress code is not made to be enforced. It is there so that no one will be embarrassed by overdressing or under dressing. So if you couldn't care less what others are wearing, dress to suit yourself.

There are some dress restrictions like no shorts or bathing suits in the dining room for dinner. Those are not dress codes, they are restrictions.

Some posters here, usually newbies, really do wish to know what is acceptable to wear, when and where. We all do, if we are going to a social setting, whether on a cruise or at a local affair. A suggested list of items paints the picture of what most people are going to wear. Once you know, it really comes down to how YOU wish to conform to what everyone else will be wearing.

So do you think that Carnival should enforce the formal night dress code by barring entrance to anyone not in Formal or Business attire?

Or do you think they should do away with the formal dress code altogether?

Yes. Offenders should be keelhauled.:p Putting a suit or tux on isn't going to hurt anyone. The "I wear a suit every day for work", "formal wear is uncomfortable", "Junior will outgrow it....", etc...etc...nothing more than excuses.

Carnival's "dress up" rule is a non enforced rule and everyone knos it. They don't enforce it because enough people don't want it. Pure and simple. No harm no foul. THE MASSES DON'T WANT IT....... Why can't you just have fun without me in a suit. I shouldn't be that important in your life

You're not important to me;) . What you wear is not going to impact me whatsoever. I just want to know why you choose to cruise Carnival when you know they have "required" formal nights. And where do you get "the masses don't want it"? The majority of people ARE dressed appropriately. AND, as this poll shows, the majority want it enforced. YOU are in the minority. So, you still haven't answered my question - why do you cruise Carnival? Why not NCL or Windjammer? Why not a land vacation? Why do you take a vacation that "requires" you to dress up? Do you follow the same "the masses don't want it logic" at a wedding or funeral?

The majority of people ARE dressed appropriately. AND, as this poll shows, the majority want it enforced.

So, can anyone give me a rundown on how many people dress "appropriately" and how many people don't? By "appropriately" I mean no jeans, and men wearing at least a button-down shirt, and women wearing skirts or dresses.

And does that vary according to the type of cruise? I would guess that a Caribbean cruise would have less people conforming to the dress code than an Eastern Canada one.

So, can anyone give me a rundown on how many people dress "appropriately" and how many people don't? By "appropriately" I mean no jeans, and men wearing at least a button-down shirt, and women wearing skirts or dresses.

My last Carnival cruise, I noticed only two men that showed up at formal night with dress slacks and dress shirt.

They looked a little embarrased when the Maitre d' said how everyone looked smashing, and to give themselves a round of applause.

Neither one showed up the second formal night.

And does that vary according to the type of cruise? I would guess that a Caribbean cruise would have less people conforming to the dress code than an Eastern Canada one.

I'd say 85% or better are appropriate on formal night. Of the remaining 15%, less than 5% of those are actually dressed completely inappropriately, ie. jeans, t-shirts, etc. Most that don't dress formally atleast wear what they would on non-formal nights.

On non-formal nights, I'd say it's more likely you'd see 95% are appropriately dressed.

My family and I just returned from a short 4 day cruise. We informed our waiter that we would not be attending formal night as we decided to not pack formal clothes for this cruise. We do on our 7 days cruises. The waiter and then head waiter both tried to convince us to attend the formal night wearing what we wanted as it was our vacation. So if you want the rules followed the entire dining home staff has to be willing to enforce the rule. It is not going to happen. My family dresses appropriately when we dine in the dining room - not by choice but because it is recommended and I am afraid that if I did not dress appropriately and someone said something to me an augument were occur. As for statements that cruising is cheap - it depends on the number of cruisers and the type of suite you book. I pay between $5000 - $8000 for a seven day cruise and that is not cheap. I have done all inclusive resorts cheaper. And that amount does not include airfare which adds another 1600 - 2000. As others have stated most ships have at least 2 dining rooms - designate one for formal and one for casual. I think you would quickly see how many individualsd that dress formally would no longer do it as they had an opportunity to experience the same food without dressing up. Formal wear is going the route of the dinasours and soon will be dead anyway.

If you want a fine dining experiance, don't force the waiters to entertain us with a 3rd class monkey show. Tell me which 3 Star michelin restaurant you would find that in??

As others have stated most ships have at least 2 dining rooms - designate one for formal and one for casual. I think you would quickly see how many individualsd that dress formally would no longer do it as they had an opportunity to experience the same food without dressing up. Formal wear is going the route of the dinasours and soon will be dead anyway.

I think that is your opinion and not fact and it's based on your preference to casual clothing.

Some people do like to get dressed for dinner and I think that if there were 2 dining rooms, the formal one would have more people in it...if the poll here is any indication that would definitely be the case.

I think that is your opinion and not fact and it's based on your preference to casual clothing.

Some people do like to get dressed for dinner and I think that if there were 2 dining rooms, the formal one would have more people in it...if the poll here is any indication that would definitely be the case.

CTC is right H. People don't dress formal for weddings anymore. No one ever holds a black tie dinner any longer. There are never any celebrities in tuxes when they walk the red carpet on Emmy night. And when George W. hosts a dinner at the White House, he's always in his jeans and golf shirt.

:cool:

Archived