Should Carnival Enforce Formal Night Attire?

RjayB

Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?  

766 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival Enforce the Formal Night Dress Code?

• YES - no one is allowed to enter unless in Formal or Business attire
    • NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing

Actually, that brings up another question then.... and this goes out to the women...

On formal nights... Short dress or long dress??? I know my wife wears long dresses on formal nights only, but she looks awesome in her short dresses as well..

Soooo... short or long??

I have seen the waiters jump up on the tables and dance... that is NOT found in any 5 star restaurant I have EVER been to... maybe a piano singer yes.. not a conga line... sorry, big difference there.

I agree. However, since we have been cruising for years we do follow the suggested requirement that we dress appropriately for formal evenings.

We also go right back to our cabin and change after dinner.

Yes, it's a hassle to pack formal for 5 people. It's extra luggage I could easily travel without.

I wish they would do away with formal nights. We go to restaurants all the time and have lobster in our casual attire. It's not necessary to wear a suit or gown to eat lobster...lol

At the yacht club we belong to, we'd think something was wrong with you if you showed up to eat in a suit and tie.

It's different lifestyles for everyone. I just never get the "oh I'm wearing a suit and tie, so I'm so much better than that person wearing khakis and a polo shirt" kind of thinking.

So, can anyone give me a rundown on how many people dress "appropriately" and how many people don't? By "appropriately" I mean no jeans, and men wearing at least a button-down shirt, and women wearing skirts or dresses.

And does that vary according to the type of cruise? I would guess that a Caribbean cruise would have less people conforming to the dress code than an Eastern Canada one.

We just did a poll on this, i think last week, maybe someone can give you the link.

I normally wear a suit.... only wear a tux at a black tie affair or if I am getting married..;)

If you poll some of the guys here, they may let you in on a little secret...sometimes, tuxes come with benefits.

Take Mrs River to a black tie affair and test out this theory.

I voted yes. I think formal night rules should be enforced. Dress codes are something that is known when a cruise is booked so there should be no excuse.

From the looks of the poll, it seems that an overwhelming majority feel the same.

If you poll some of the guys here, they may let you in on a little secret...sometimes, tuxes come with benefits.

Take Mrs River to a black tie affair and test out this theory.

Thats a good idea... maybe I just might try it out in 2 weeks when we are on our next cruise.. we sail in 16 days..

Ok, so would it be better to buy a tux or rent one for a week... cant imagine the tuxes on the ship are all that nice.

Thats a good idea... maybe I just might try it out in 2 weeks when we are on our next cruise.. we sail in 16 days..

Ok, so would it be better to buy a tux or rent one for a week... cant imagine the tuxes on the ship are all that nice.

I don't think the rented tuxes are bad...it's the same as renting a tux for a wedding...buying one is just a matter of how many time you plan on using it.

My DH bought one just for the reason that we became empty nested (for the most part) and decided we'd be doing a lot of cruising so it made sense to buy one instead of renting numerous times.

Although, renting is nice because then you don't have to lug it with you.

Did it twice, and they were quite nice! And no packing!

There ya go. From the man who knows first hand. :D

Both times I sent my measurements ahead, so I would do it sometime the first day.

If memory serves, it was $US95, with shoes. I'm not sure if the last time I did it was 2001 or 1997.

They delivered it to my cabin, with two shirts, and picked it up.

I bght my all wool tux on ebay and had it fitted locally. I had alread cruised serveral times and knew there would be many more, God willing. Turned out it was brand new with tags still attached and at an unbelievable price. I've now used it for 8 or 9 cruises. In fact the company selling it asked for my leg length and the trousers came already hemmed.

If you want a fine dining experiance, don't force the waiters to entertain us with a 3rd class monkey show. Tell me which 3 Star michelin restaurant you would find that in??

Uh, last time I checked it wasn't me forcing the waiters to sing and dance. However, if it were up to me that would also be stopped or at least on formal nights.

I really don't get how people can come up w/ so many reasons for not dressing up. My DH wears a suit everyday to work and has no problem wearing one on formal nights. In fact he is so used to it he doesn't even think about it. My Dad on the hand is already complaining about having to wear his suit, but will he, of course. Then he found out he doesn't have to wear it all night and he felt much better. His answer was "I only have to wear this outfit for 2 hrs, ok I can do that." Not to mention he would never go into dining room not dressed correctly.

Someone on here talked about how people don't dress up for weddings anymore, around here they still do. All the weddings I have attended recently have been formal events.

Another commented on President Bush hosting dinners wearing jeans, all the pictures I have seen he is wearing a suit or tux, he may look uncomfortable but he is wearing it. Plus he had to wear tails when he hosted the dinner for the Queen.

Archived