Mask Defog and Scrub

Bill and Terri

Just bought snorkeling equipment for our 9/4 cruise. I was reluctant to purchase over the internet since someone suggested how important it was to try on the mask and make sure it fit properly. Glad I did, because several of the masks I tried on did not fit well at all. We both bought purge masks and a super dry snorkel.

I am considering buying some mask defog. There's also a product to scrub new masks. What are your recommendations? Are they necessary? Do they work?

When the mask is brand new they put a protective coating on the lens for shipping/storage ect. Use a soft bristle brush and some toothpaste to scrub it off. They also sell "defog" solutions. Instead get a small travel size bottle of baby shampoo. Use a couple of drops on the inside of the lens, smear around the entire surface with you finger, then rinse it off with the sea water just before you go in.

Both work just as well as the stuff they sell for more

Enjoy

Rich

You also want to check the label on some of the commercial defogers you may run across. I found one that said "keep out of eyes" !!! And this was supposed to go into your mask????:mad:

Johnson's no tears baby shampoo works best.

Dive Makai, the dive OP I used on the Big Island of Hawaii uses a very diluted solution of Palmolive dish soap and water. It works great, way better than spit. I also have used 500 psi, a commercial anti-fog and Sea Gold by Aquaseal. Both of these products work fine. They are both thick and a bit gooey. I have also used Sea Drops which don't work as well as spit.

For the toothpaste, be sure to use actual paste, not gel, for the initial cleaning of the glass in the mask. I just used my finger tips and rubbed it in for a minute or 2 before rinsing.

Save your money and don't worry. Use the toothpaste on the mask at home when it is new. Before you get in the water spit in your mask. Rub it around. Rinse it out with sea water and out it right on your face. I am a diver and that's what we do. It sounds gross but it's not. And it works better than defog.

If you don't believe me ask around at www.scubaboard.com

Enjoy

I put off a lot of body heat & if I don't use commerial anti-fog, I can't see a thing. Plus, I have to repeat it on occassion! :rolleyes: Spit doesn't do a thing for me! If you are going to be trying out your new equipment at a local pool, see what happens. Anti-fog doesn't cost that much! Have fun whatever you do!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Save your money and don't worry. Use the toothpaste on the mask at home when it is new. Before you get in the water spit in your mask. Rub it around. Rinse it out with sea water and out it right on your face. I am a diver and that's what we do. It sounds gross but it's not. And it works better than defog.

He's right. I've been snorkeling for years, and spit is all you need. Dive masters don't use defogger, either. Toothpaste is the best thing for serious cleaning at home.

If the mask fogs while snorkeling, just take it off, spit, rub, rinse and put it back on. Just be careful not to step on coral while you are cleaning the mask. Kicking with your fins leisurely is enough to keep your head above water. Snorkelers have done more damage to corals in all the popular sites, so be careful with what little we have left.

Well, the DM's on the dive boats I've been on all seem to use the baby shampoo/water spray bottle on their masks, at least in Hawaii and the Caribbean. I don't ever remember seeing a spray bottle with the shampoo/water in it on a snorkeling boat though.

Spit doesn't work at all for me, and when you're 60+ feet underwater, the last thing you want is your mask fogging up. If you use the shampoo or commerical defog, you'll find that you never have to clean your mask, so you won't have to worry about damaging coral by trying to repeatedly rinse your mask.

After you buy the mask, you HAVE to rub the inside of the mask with toothpaste because the mask manufacturers coat the inside of the mask with a protective coating. If you don't do this, your mask will ALWAYS fog up. Use an abrasive like Crest, not a gell and do it a couple of times. Spit works to defog right before you dive but don't kid yourself, commercial defogger works a lot better than spit.

• 3 months later...

There is always a small travel bottle of Johnson's baby shampoo in my dive bag and I've been using it for over forty years. Costs maybe a buck, you can find it almost anyplace in the world, and it sure doesn't burn your eyes. ;)

Spit works as well, but I get a pretty dry mouth breathing compressed air, and spit doesn't come as easily on dive # 2. :p

I can't tell you how many masks I've scrubbed over the years, and I've never found a commercial mask product that works better than Ultra Brite toothpaste & fingers. Smells pretty good too!

For defog, we use Sea Drops, Clear Edge, whatever's handy, or spit if nothing else is around (I don't have very good spit) The only commercial defog we have used that didn't do well was Gorilla Snot.

Have a wonderful trip!

Wendy

next up

Splendour of the Seas April 23 '05

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

You only need to clean the original chemicals off of your lens once with either a commercial cleaner or toothpaste. You don't want to use any toothpaste that may etche your lens.

Commercial defogs definitely work better than spit. Every divemaster I've ever dove with uses some type of defog. There is 500PSI and SeaGold. The 500PSI seems to last longer, but it is thicker at the start. Wet your mask first and then use the 500PSI.

Also, you should not be continuously using toothpaste or a commercial lens cleaner (type to take off silicon or oil from a new mask lens) for your mask when you get it home. Just a mild diswashing soap or shampoo will clean off the normal everyday mask slime that you get when you are in the water.

I have seen the diluted shampoo or dishwashing liquid and they do burn your eyes.

It is a simple process and you need to wash your gear every time you use it and let it dry in a shaded area and then put it away in a cool, dark (indoor), dry place.

Have a good one....purge masks are great......easy to clear and minimal effort to do so.

Has anyone ever used the Rain-X anti-fog product? It is what I happen to have on my shelf at the moment, just wondering. :)

I was wondering that too! I am tempted to try, but would like to know if anyone else has already tried it.

Archived