Norovirus Alert Colors

Does anybody find the RCCL color alert system to be stupid. My complaint has nothing to do with how RCCL has taken care of the virus because they have done an incredible job, my complaint is that the system makes no sense related to the virus. The virus is dormant for 24-48 hours and then lasts for 24-60 hours. That would mean that the infected cruise could have an employee carry it over to the next one but one week from the last infected person there should be no remains. So now why would the alert stay "Red" for the cruise following the outbreak as well as the one after that. The third cruise from the outbreak was lowered to "Yellow". Do these mean anything. Isn't it required for someone to walk onto the ship with it after the first cruise in order for another outbreak and that could happen anytime on any ship. I was on the June 9th Liberty sailing (2nd from the outbreak) and found the higher level of alert great, in fact i preferred it. It seems to be just as easy for it to be brought on board right after an outbreak as it is a year from one so i wish that RCCL would make "Red" the standard level. The hand sanitizes at every entrance was always comforting when entering a place to eat and the people waiting to hand them out were always pleasant. Those door monitors were surprisingly nice to have as it was pleasant to have a nice greeting when entering any place to eat as well as a farewell. The dress code is also more strictly enforced since there is always at least one and usually multiple people at the door instead of the usual one or none. The main thing that annoyed me was when we docked in St. Martin and the Explorer of the Seas docked next to us. Getting back onto the ship i had to sanitize my hands just as i had coming off and looked ten feet over to see people boarding Explorer with no precautions. Where did i go that they couldn't. It just makes no sense for them to be worried that someone would bring a disease onto one ship and not the other. I'm not sure what effect all those greeters/sanetizer monitors have on rccl's side but as a guest i preferred having them and wish every cruise had them.

I can't answer about RCI's "codes", but it seems prudent to me for EVERYONE to take health precautions whenever they are in a large group--whether it's on a ship, at a concert, a hotel, or wherever! This virus is NOT limited to cruise ships! It's in our schools, hospitals, heck--Washington DC has actually had to close 2 hotels recently due to the virus!

It's EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

I was on the 6/17 AOS sailing. They had a noro issue the week prior, so when we first boarded they were taking precautions. A couple of days into the trip all that disappeared though. They were no longer standing outside the dining areas with Purell wipes or alcohol gel. However, they always had the alcohol gel at the gangway. I always used it, but then went straight to the bathroom (the one right by the gangway or the one on deck 3) and washed my hands very well.

I was astonished to see many people walking past the hand sanitiser at the entrance to the buffet. Most times there was niot a member of staff there but sometimes there was and they said nothing to people walking in without disinfecting there hands. On Princess they were very strict and you even had your hands done at the entrance to the dining room.

On the Mariner they wouldn't let you enter the dining room or windjammer without using the hand sanitizer provided.

Many times we had just left the washroom where we thoroughly washed our hands and used paper towels to open the door ~ so we passed by the hand gel dispensers. They DO let you go without using it. I also keep it in my purse and use it after handling the buffet spoons. DH had a bad reaction to the gel and the skin peeled off his hands.

I was on the 6/17 AOS sailing. They had a noro issue the week prior, so when we first boarded they were taking precautions. A couple of days into the trip all that disappeared though. They were no longer standing outside the dining areas with Purell wipes or alcohol gel. However, they always had the alcohol gel at the gangway. I always used it, but then went straight to the bathroom (the one right by the gangway or the one on deck 3) and washed my hands very well.

This really bothered me also. I couldn't believe two weeks after a major norovirus outbreak on Liberty that they would discontinue sanitizers in the buffet. This is standard daily procedure on every RCCL ship I've ever been on. It seemed really careless to me. I always carry a small bottle of purell with me to the buffet anyway though.

Does anybody find the RCCL color alert system to be stupid. My complaint has nothing to do with how RCCL has taken care of the virus because they have done an incredible job, my complaint is that the system makes no sense related to the virus. The virus is dormant for 24-48 hours and then lasts for 24-60 hours. That would mean that the infected cruise could have an employee carry it over to the next one but one week from the last infected person there should be no remains. So now why would the alert stay "Red" for the cruise following the outbreak as well as the one after that. The third cruise from the outbreak was lowered to "Yellow". Do these mean anything. Isn't it required for someone to walk onto the ship with it after the first cruise in order for another outbreak and that could happen anytime on any ship. I was on the June 9th Liberty sailing (2nd from the outbreak) and found the higher level of alert great, in fact i preferred it. It seems to be just as easy for it to be brought on board right after an outbreak as it is a year from one so i wish that RCCL would make "Red" the standard level. The hand sanitizes at every entrance was always comforting when entering a place to eat and the people waiting to hand them out were always pleasant. Those door monitors were surprisingly nice to have as it was pleasant to have a nice greeting when entering any place to eat as well as a farewell. The dress code is also more strictly enforced since there is always at least one and usually multiple people at the door instead of the usual one or none. The main thing that annoyed me was when we docked in St. Martin and the Explorer of the Seas docked next to us. Getting back onto the ship i had to sanitize my hands just as i had coming off and looked ten feet over to see people boarding Explorer with no precautions. Where did i go that they couldn't. It just makes no sense for them to be worried that someone would bring a disease onto one ship and not the other. I'm not sure what effect all those greeters/sanetizer monitors have on rccl's side but as a guest i preferred having them and wish every cruise had them.

Actually there is no other effect than the one you encountered - you feel good about it. That´s it. The hand sanitizers they have onboard in my eyes are not sufficient in any way. As I need to sanitize my hands for surgeries several times a day I know my stuff a bit and I can tell you those sanitizers are a joke.

I just came back from the Legend of the Seas and they had the Sanitizers at the Windjammer and a crew member checked with everybody entering to place your hand under it. They wouldn´t let anybody in without doing it. Windjammer was btw the only place that had sanitizers onboard.

Well if you noted I wrote they made you place your hand under it, I did NOT say they made you sanitize your hands. In 90% I placed my hand under the sanitizer was greeted by the crew member and I went in without the dispenser ever giving any sanitizing lotion:rolleyes: . If the dispenser is really giving out something the amount is sooo low that you never will be able to come anywhere close to a hand sanitation.

Do what CDC recommends - Wash your hands !!!

Much more sufficient than any Sanitizing procedure.

Hand Sanitizers are usually anywhere and everywhere you travel in most parts of Canada now, especially in Ontario. Ontario Hospitals have them at every entrance. You use it when you enter and especially when you leave.

We were very pleased that they were so widely accessible on Serenade when we cruised in February. Bravo RCI!

THEY DO WORK! That is if you stand and move your hand under long enough to wet your hands. Nothing is more effective than a thorough hand wash, however, the sanitizers have been proven to prevent the transfer of germs and bacteria when used properly.

This is a very simple effective way to protect all of us.

Dee

THEY DO WORK! That is if you stand and move your hand under long enough to wet your hands.

Well the ones on Legend DID NOT! And nobody cared which was fine to me as I don´t care for them anyway.

Nothing is more effective than a thorough hand wash, however, the sanitizers have been proven to prevent the transfer of germs and bacteria when used properly.

That´s the point, there have been many studies with health professionals, who learned how to properly use them, been performed and all of them showed even people used to hand sanitizing and getting extensive instructions on how to properly use them failed during the tests. So you really expect the crusisers use those properly:rolleyes:

Madforcruising is absolutely correct about hand washing. Unfortunately we are not always in a position after just handling a railing or something in the giftshop, the list goes on and on. If the sanitizers are readily available and people are instructed to use them it can and does assist with germs and viruses in many cases.

Pay close attention to the people who visit public washrooms. Having raised 3 children and always asking them to make sure that they wash their hands, we have been mortified by the number of people who do not. Using the sanitizers and hand washing is for your own personal benefit and protection. We readily use both in an effort to keep our family healthy. I can only speak for those who cruised on Serenade that we witnessed using the sanitizers. Since we are so accustomed to seeing them everywhere at home, we really appreciated seeing them when we boarded.

Anything possible that can be done to spare someone unnecessary germs is greatly appreciated.

Thank you to RCI, it is very difficult to educate everyone regarding sanitizers and their use. It was gratifying to see a smiling crew member insisting that the sanitizer was used each and every time we went into the Windjammer.

Pfftt. My husband got very ill 4 hours before they began disembarkation this past Sunday 6/24. He is just now feeling better. We called RC to let them know about this and to see if there were other complaints and they said "no" and had totally no concerns or questions for us. The woman was very unconcerned ~ this was in the complaints and comments department. How's that for customer care ??!!

Archived