Air Choices from Bangkok to NY/Newark

shifty

We're on Oceania's Nautica 2/8-2/29 Sydney to Bangkok cruise & would like to arrange an air deviation. What airlines have the best flight schedules from Bangkok back to the NYC area (including Newark)? I realize that non-stops are probably impossible, but would like to avoid multiple stops, plane changes etc. What are the chances Oceania will allow such "deviations" with only the air deviation fee?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mike S

We're on Oceania's Nautica 2/8-2/29 Sydney to Bangkok cruise & would like to arrange an air deviation. What airlines have the best flight schedules from Bangkok back to the NYC area (including Newark)? I realize that non-stops are probably impossible, but would like to avoid multiple stops, plane changes etc. What are the chances Oceania will allow such "deviations" with only the air deviation fee?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mike S

Thai Airways flies nonstop Bangkok/JFK. IMHO, Cathay Pacific is THE BEST on that route-one stop HKG, then onto JFK. But Cathay is pricey. Almost any of about 20 airlines can get you there with a combination of carriers.

On a one way basis, Asiana, Korean Air (stop in Seoul), Malev (Hungarian airline-stops in Budapest), Swiss (stops in Zurich), China Air (two stops-Taipai and Anchorage), Delta (flown on Korean Air), Qantas/BA (stop in London-both on AA planes to JFK from London) are all about the same price- about $1000.00

The BEST option for plane and service, IMHO, is the AA codeshare flight out of BKK-Cathay Pacific to HKG (Cathay flight CX 700), then an AA flight (actually operated by Cathay-AA flight #6124) to Vancouver, then another AA codeshare (operated by Cathay-again, AA flight # 6124) to JFK. Cathay service and planes (I love a 747) with an AA price. If you book with Cathay exclusively, the price is usually about $300.00 more than booking the same flights through AA. The Cathay flight out of BKK leaves at 8:20AM, so you will not be able to leave BKK the day the cruise arrives. IF I booked the AA codeshare TODAY for your dates (March 1, 2008), the price would be $1700.00pp. As much as I love Cathay service, don't know it I would pay $700.00 EXTRA per person.

Can't tell you what the difference in price would be-you will have to post what the cruise line is charging you.

You also may want to look into flying BKK to LAX, then a separate ticket to NYC. There are very often CHEAP tickets from BKK to LAX. And this scenario may work really well, as you will most likely be departing from LAX to get to embarkation in Sydney. Ask the cruiseline what it would cost JUST to purchase LAX/Sydney and BKK/LAX. You may save a bundle buying your own ticket from JFK/LAX RT. I fly LAX/JFK at least six times per year. My average price on AA is $280.00 RT.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw your post as I was nosing around on the Asia boards. We traveled together from Port Everglades to Valparaiso on the Millie over the 2005 Holidays. We're headed over to China for a Yangtze cruise and land trip at the very end of August. Can't wait. Take care, good to see you still around!

Laura

What time do you want to leave Bangkok? The Thai Air non-stop (to JFK) leaves at 1 a.m. Thai is usually a good airline, btw. Current cost is 1441US$ (all $$ are for a MArch 1 flight; back of plane). The flight is 17 hoours. The shortest connecting trip is 20 1/2 hours. The cheapest is on Asiana at 916US$ but that is a 33 hour trip. Asiana, btw, is a very nice Korea-based airline (ergo, the connection is in Incheon).

Asiana offers one stop service to LAX at 692US$ leave at 1:20 am and arriving at 11:30 am (or for the same price leave Bangkok at 10:30 pm and kill some time in Korea).

If I were taking this trip and decided not to take the non-stop, I would take Asiana to SFO. for the same price as their flight to LAX above. (leaves same time, arrives SFO 10:30 am). But I would do almsot anything to avoid LAX.

BTW, a word of warning about the new Bangkok airport. They forgot a few things -- like places to sit and restrooms. There is a major shortage of both.

Bangkok is a very intersting city; I hope you take a few days to see it. You do need the right attitude to enjoy it. The taxis will rip you off -- but even so, they are still very inexpensive. It is noisy, smelly, crowded and simply wonderful.

Paul

I just saw your post as I was nosing around on the Asia boards. We traveled together from Port Everglades to Valparaiso on the Millie over the 2005 Holidays. We're headed over to China for a Yangtze cruise and land trip at the very end of August. Can't wait. Take care, good to see you still around!

Laura

Hi Laura, been off the board for a few days, (minor health problem)

You are going to love the Yangtse river cruise. We did it 3 years ago with Viking. Make sure you have plenty of $1.00 bills for the street peddlers who are every where and they love to bargin. Since we saw you, we have been to Eastern Me; Western Europe. November we are doing Asia on the Sapphire Princess. If you have any question abourt China you can e-mail me at alanmal@aol.com

Al :D

Archived