What can I do on land in Bonaire?

memas retired

As a non-beach, snorkel, scuba, kayaking person, what shore excursions would you recommend for the Island of Bonaire on our Crown sailing in October?

They offer the "Best of Bonaire Island Tour" but it only describes it as the "Island highlights" Short of the water activities I mentioned above, what highlights does this island have?

I Googled it but I see none. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Cathy

Cathy, Bonaire is a coral island, rather flat and semi-arid. It does have wonderful diving/snorkeling, but very few land based highlights. I suspect even the residents would agree.

Here is Bonaire's visitor's web site with some suggestions. Since you Googled, you probably found it, but just in case:

http://www.infobonaire.com/

This would be the "highlights" I found:

RENT a scooter or moped and explore the island going north and/or south to see flamingos, lighthouses, obelisks, land houses (landhuizen), slave huts, the tourist road, devils mouth, O'l Blue, and much more.

ENJOY the breathtaking panoramic views from Seroe Largu overlooking the southern part of the island. This is a scenic spot for photographers from where, Klein Bonaire, Kralendijk, Lac Bay, the salt company, and more can be seen. Great spot for stargazing.

DRIVE through the 13,500 acre or 5,463 hectors of Washington/Slagbaai National Park. Take the "green" short route or the more scenic "yellow" longer route. Bring along refreshments or make a stop at the Boca Slagbaai Restaurant for a local lunch and cold drinks.

FIND a comfortable seat on a dune by the salt flats and watch the salt being loaded by conveyer belt onto a freighter. The salt is loaded at a rate of 2,000 tons per hour. Fallen salt crystals can be found and kept as a souvenir.

That last one sounds like a real thriller.

I'd suggest you try the cruise critic Bonaire message board, but it's about as barren as the island.

I repeat, though - the water sports are mahvelous!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived