TPS reports while cruising?

When I go on vacation, I don't answer the phone unless I know who it is. If I can't take a week or two off without being called, then I haven't done a good enough of a job to train the people under me - at least, that's my attitude. Personally, I work to live; I don't live to work.

Work is something so bad, that somebody actually has to pay you do to it!!! =)

Umm, yeah, You can take a vacation, but be sure you have all these reports in by the time you get back.

At least that's what my boss tells me. I usually buy the biggest online minutes package I can buy and spend a good hour per day or more at the internet cafe.

I can leave behind the TPS reports, but I do make sure I bring the right number pieces of flair. :D

Seriously, when on a cruise, I completely shut off from work. I just tell them that there's no phone or e-mail, so I am out of reach. It's nice. I then force myself not to check e-mail as soon as I get home - I want that extra day of freedom, before getting totally annoyed again.

On my last cruise, my aunt and I were preparing to go ashore in Jamaica when my cell phone rang.

The look on her face when she realized it was my boss, and not my DH and DD calling, was priceless.

I usually leave a number for emergencies- apparently I need to do a better job defining what an emergency is!

W.

On my last cruise, my aunt and I were preparing to go ashore in Jamaica when my cell phone rang.

The look on her face when she realized it was my boss, and not my DH and DD calling, was priceless.

I usually leave a number for emergencies- apparently I need to do a better job defining what an emergency is!

W.

apparently you need to get a new cell phone and not give anyone the number;) Only 6 people have my cell number. My wife, my kids and my 2 brothers. I have not even given the number to my mother. if it rings I know its rings I know it is someone i want to talk to.

I am still ticked that they have cell phone towers on ships. Geez people ... no one is so important that they can't take a week away from work! I know, I know, it's horrible to go back to a stack of work and have to catch up, but Americans have a bad habit of thinking that work is more important than life.

Remember that old adage about no man on his deathbed looks back and says he wishes he spent more time at work. (He can be interchanged with she.)

Uh yeah, we're gonna need to have you come in on Saturday......
Saturday, I seem to remember that is the day after Friday. I work Monday to friday, and you want me to come in on Saturday. that would be a

No I don't think that is going to happen:D

The main reason I cruise is because my pager and cell phone don't work on board ship. Everyone needs at least 7 days to get away from work. You are a much better employee when you have time to relax and refresh.

I did agree to take my laptop with me once but there was an understanding that I would be checking email once per day and only responding to emergencies. I also made work pay the $100 fee for in room internet connection.

I love my job, but the moment I walk out at night until I return in the morning, it gets none of my attention. An added benefit to (most) of my time off is that school is closed, no one is even there to report to :)

I'd be miserable in an office job where they depend on you so much. Even when we owned our own business, we prepared ahead of time so everything was taken care of. We never checked in, nor did we give contact numbers to be called in case of emergency.

People need time off to relax and recharge, it's not fair nor wise to take your work with you on vacation. Employers should realize this, it can make for happier, more productive employees.

Okay, what is a TPS report?

It's a reference to the movie Office Space:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151804/

If you click on the "Memorable Quotes" link, you'll see the dialog for one of the conversations where TPS reports are mentioned. It's a recurring theme through the movie. Just a fair warning that there this is some rough language on that page.

even when I am on vacation. I try very HARD to keep my work business away. I still get calls anyway from my then staff. (I quit my job last week and am vacationing at home for a couple of weeks.)

However, when I bring my kids they will go back to the cabin failthfully every day for 2-3 hours to do homework brought on the ship for make up work when we travel during the school year.

Tps???

from Wikipedia:

A TPS report is a document used in software engineering, in particular by a Software Quality Assurance group or individual, that describes the testing procedures and the testing process.

The term TPS report has come to denote pointless busy work assigned by employers without doing anything productive for the company (See: TPS report (Office Space))

Thanks, now I'm going to watch that movie for the 100th time. I never thought the movie was great until I started working in a cubicle. Now I have to watch it every few months for a good laugh. It is so typical of corporate environment

Archived