Taking Wine on Board

beemer66

No- I will book a balcony for sure, and just SAVE SAVE SAVE from now until January so I can just indulge in my refreshing adult beverages without worrying about the charge! I am a lightweight, so it's all good. I don't want to drink TOO much and not feel well the next morning! I can do that at home ;)

This made me laugh: "My question is....If you do not pay a corkage fee how do you get the bottle open?" Ever been somewhere with a bottle of great wine and no corkscrew??? That is so frustrating. In the past we have used everything from a sharpened twig to pry the sucker out... LOL. I suppose pack one in advance, but the best would be to have them uncork it.

Duh!! Last year we just pushed the cork in!! However, I did not think they would allow you to bring a corkscrew on board or uncork it for you if you didn't pay the fee. I guess asking a simple question is too difficult for simple minds!

Even better- smuggle in the twist off variety so you don't have to worry about it... like "The Muppet Movie" when the waiter (Steve Martin) asks kermit if he wants to sniff the cap from the wine. Boones Farm here I come. KIDDING kidding... I'm not for smuggling in the alcohol- just making a funny!

Even better- smuggle in the twist off variety so you don't have to worry about it... like "The Muppet Movie" when the waiter (Steve Martin) asks kermit if he wants to sniff the cap from the wine. Boones Farm here I come. KIDDING kidding... I'm not for smuggling in the alcohol- just making a funny!

Duh!! Last year we just pushed the cork in!! However, I did not think they would allow you to bring a corkscrew on board or uncork it for you if you didn't pay the fee. I guess asking a simple question is too difficult for simple minds!

Even better- smuggle in the twist off variety so you don't have to worry about it. Oh and by the way where I come from they do not sell twist offs!! Those are reserved for low _ _ _ _ _!

re: bringing corkscrew

We have one in our suitcase that stays there, and another one in my shaving bag. Those cheap ones that hotels will give you, or you buy for $1 at the liquor store. Often, the steward will loan you one. Of, if you order one bottle to your room, it will probably come with one.

But there is no problem bringing one on

Yes, we have done some weird things trying to open them.

I just want to clarify that I was attempting humor there... I was not sure if your comment of, "Duh," and "asking a simple question is too difficult for simple minds" was directed at me. I am not simple-minded, and was seriously anwering your question. It never occurred to me that a corkscrew may not be allowed to be brough onto the ship.

Whilst in college I had a close and special relationship with Boones Farm, which is a screw off cap. Once again, I was being funny. I don't know which word I am supposed to use to fill in the blanks there- the only thing I can think of that fits is "low funds." I don't know where you come from, but I live near Chicago, and not everyone who buys Lambrusco to make a big pitcher of sangria is low class- and yes, Riunite's Labrusco does have a twist off cap, and it makes a great pitcher of sangria for those of us who like to entertain while keeping a budget.

I am the one who commented on the wine and beer plan on some cruise line. I actually read that here, and I will try and find it.

Even better- smuggle in the twist off variety so you don't have to worry about it. Oh and by the way where I come from they do not sell twist offs!! Those are reserved for low _ _ _ _ _!

As stated earlier...don't get so testy. Humor helps break the tension of "sneaking booze on board". If you want to bring your wine on board, put it in your carry on, declare it at the x-ray machine & offer to pay the $15 per bottle IF requested. I have, on 2 occassions, not be required to pay. Maybe a reward for honesty one time & a reward for lack of corkage payment table the 2nd. I happily took my selected wines on board & used the corkscrew supplied by the room steward. Don't fret the little things...you're going on a cruise. ENJOY:D

*sigh* Sometimes electronic text can be misunderstood. I won't be smuggling any alcohol on board- not worth it to me. I'll probably just pay to drink whatever the ship offers, and maybe bring a bottle for which I will pay the cork fee.

I did not mean to appear testy, I just felt that being called simple-minded (if that was the case) was fairly insulting when I was giving an honest answer. I did not think about the fact that it was a pretty obvious answer to pack a corkscrew! I apologize for being sensitive.

Oh, and Kootz- it seems that there is not a solid answer to the wine in a box situation. It seems more convenient since it is not likely to break on the trip, but from what I've read in this post it almost seems like it is based on the whim of the person checking you in at the ship. Seems like you should be prepared to pay more based on the rule of $15.00 for a regular sized bottle of wine, and then if you only end up paying $15.00 you got lucky!

Cheers.

Still have not found the answer to box wine...Do you pay 15.00 or extra because it holds more "bottles"?

Actually if you search on box you will find that you can expect one of the following (assume a 3 ltr box(:

1 - Your box goes undetected, pay nothing. Enjoy

2 - They decide to charge $15 corkage. One time. Done.

3 - They pick a number and charge you $15,30,45,?

4 - They figure you have 3 bottles worth and charge $45.

5 - They opt to follow the policy exactly and charge you for 4 - 750ml bottles (same as 3 ltr) and you pay $60.

I know some people will complain that this is not consitent. They need to be slapped silly since what they are really asking is that everyone pay $60. Duh?

Archived