Cave Tubing Water Level Question

Hogladyrider

I've read many posts here about the cave tubing experience depends a lot on the water level at the time of the trip thru the caves.

What I am wondering is when is the low water season and when is the high water season or do they even exist? Does it all depend on rainfall?

I'd rather plan a snorkeling excursion if the water level is low in September when we stop in Belize.

Thanks.

Susan:)

I've read many posts here about the cave tubing experience depends a lot on the water level at the time of the trip thru the caves.

What I am wondering is when is the low water season and when is the high water season or do they even exist? Does it all depend on rainfall?

I'd rather plan a snorkeling excursion if the water level is low in September when we stop in Belize.

Thanks.

Susan:)

I am going cave tubing in September, with cave-tubing.com. I was worried about the water level also so I emailed them. Yhony wrote me back and said this:

Our rainy season is from June to November, but it does not rain everyday. The river rangers from 8 inches in the lowest point to 15 feet in the deepest point.

Whether the river is low or high, with our company Cave-Tubing.Com a tour guide will be with you at all times doing all the paddling/manuvers for you while going through the caves and river, this is for the comfort and safety of everyone.

safety and getting back to the ship on time is our #1 priority.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Yhony

I hope this helps. And I hope you enjoy your vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, have been wondering about the feasibility of tubing in shallow waters, especially because of the following 06/07 review of the Carnival Legend by "seqman":

"Belize – If you don’t take the Cave tour, you are missing one of the greatest times of your life. We had a blast. We booked through Carnival. Can’t say much more but awesome. A word of warning. If you are a big person, you may have a difficult time with this tour. There are spots where the water can be shallow and you will hit rocks. If you are a heavy person, you will have to walk more than most others over these regions. This happened to our tour where on big person took for ever to get down the river. It delayed the whole tour bus because we could not leave until everyone was accounted for."

Altogether, this sounds exhausting, frustrating and even embarrassing. What have other cave tubing participants witnessed or experienced?:confused:

Here's a related question: If it rains, does the tour still go on?

2 weeks ago we went and it was a heavy downpour the morning we tendered. Many tours were cancelled but the cave tubing ones were not, We were met at the dock by Tom Jr and boarded the van. By the time we got inland it was warm and sunny. He told us that it is fairly common to have it rainy in port but clear inland. We almost cancelled and I am glad we decided to do it.

The water level was fairly low when we were there last week. If you're not heavy, don't worry about it. You'll stay afloat just fine and push with your feet a little. Otherwise, you can carry your tube through a couple shallow areas. It's beautiful, unlike anything I've ever seen. Don't miss it - you can snorkel anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...
If you do have to walk, what is the bottom like? Hard, squishy, mucky? I'm assuming we won't have to worry about leaches or things, but I still am not a big fan of muck!

The bed of the river is more rocky than anything. You will have to cross the river on the hike and you have to watch you step on the rocky bottom. If the water is low, just remember to keep "butts up" and you will be find.

I, too, have been wondering about the feasibility of tubing in shallow waters, especially because of the following 06/07 review of the Carnival Legend by "seqman":

"Belize – If you don’t take the Cave tour, you are missing one of the greatest times of your life. We had a blast. We booked through Carnival. Can’t say much more but awesome. A word of warning. If you are a big person, you may have a difficult time with this tour. There are spots where the water can be shallow and you will hit rocks. If you are a heavy person, you will have to walk more than most others over these regions. This happened to our tour where on big person took for ever to get down the river. It delayed the whole tour bus because we could not leave until everyone was accounted for."

Altogether, this sounds exhausting, frustrating and even embarrassing. What have other cave tubing participants witnessed or experienced?:confused:

I am a "big" person and have done the Cave Tube excursion in Belize in December. The water was shallow in several places the current drove you into gravel shallow spots where it was fairly easy to get stuck. It was frustrating, embarrassing, but an experience I will never forget. Great story to tell and laugh about.

Is the water deep enough for life jackets? What is the deepest in the area (in case someone falls off the tube)?

The deepest was 40 feet and yes you wear a life jacket.... You should have no problem as you SIT in the inner tube with your butt hanging inside the donut ! Have you booked your tour yet ?

I was there with cave tubing . com two weeks and it was amazing. The water level got to only a few inches in some spots but the tour guides warned you to lift your butts and they would pull everyone till it was deep. Here are some pics that kinda show how shallow it was.

http://community.webshots.com/user/i...host=community

Like stated before...if you are alittle on the heavier side, it can pose a small problem in the drought season. We went during this time, Im a 5'7 feamale who weighs about 240.

I did get stuck a few times on the rocks, even though I was "butts up". My guide just grabbed my tube and pulled me to where the water would carry me along.

It was alittle frustrating but a fantastic experience. Id go again in a heartbeat

Archived